Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
jcrain
Apprentice
Apprentice

My wife and I both have iPhones with the Arlo app. Both if these are listed as devices which are geofenced.

We regularly find that one of our devices has been logged out of Arlo, and therefore won't trigger the geofencing (either Home or Away), leaving our system exposed.

We will both leave home, only to find that Arlo thinks one of us is still there, and won't arm the system. Similarly, we'll arrive home, and the system won't disarm, until we both log in, change mode to arm or disarm, and then back to geofencing.

The trouble is, neither of us know when this happens. The Arlo app doesn't tell us that we've been logged out until we go into it, which defeats the purpose of geofencing. We also don't understand why either of us would be logged out when we haven't touched the app.

This is very confusing and frustrating, any tips would be gratefully received.

Jamie

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Hello,

This issue has been identified and a fix to resolve this issue will be coming soon. I will provide another update as soon as possible.

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

183 REPLIES 183
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

Arques
Star
Star
Yes, Arlo 3.5.10 is installed and it has not solved the issue. I have a habit of manually searching for and installing app updatea every day. This update was released more than a month ago (Dec 2) and the issue happened last time about a week ago for both me and my SO. Both of our phones, one Android and one iPhone had been signed out again. This means that the Arlo notification disappears and the geofencing function stops working. On both our phones when trying to open the app and sign in again we were both notified about the session expiring.

Can your developers please just remove the session expiration function? It shouldn't be this hard. You can't have session expiration if so many things break when it expires and theres no working mechanism to auto refresh the session.
Arques
Star
Star
This has been an ongoing issue for at least 4 months and probably much more. Pretty much since day 1 when I first bought my Arlo camera. It takes a while to show up and understand what's going on but it seems to me that what's happening is that you have a last login date or creation date on authentication tokens that only gets updated when users manually sign on to the app. Then after a certain time when this date gets too old the token expires and the app stops working. The notifications disappear. On Android I normally have two Arlo notifications always visible, one telling me that geofencing is enabled and one telling me whether I'm home or away. These disappear and worst of all the geofencing function stops working, the devices just remain in their last known location until you open the app again to manually sign in again and refresh the authentication token. When doing so the app shows a message that the session has expired.

Arlo was recommended to my by my dad who is using it together with his verisure alarm system. He seems to not be having this issue but perhaps it works better with that integration. I am running my camera stand-alone on my own wifi with no smarthub.
jcrain
Apprentice
Apprentice

"Can your developers please just remove the session expiration function? It shouldn't be this hard. You can't have session expiration if so many things break when it expires and theres no working mechanism to auto refresh the session."

This. 

Why would sessions need to expire? Especially after just a day or two, which is all it takes for this problem to recur. It can't be a security thing, because if the outcome of expiring sessions produces this problem, then we are even less secure!

@ShayneS please tell your team they are out of time. Either produce a permanent fix, or tell us it's unfixable and we'll procure a new system from a different brand. It's been going on FOR MONTHS, and given this is a security matter not a usability issue, it deserves highest priority. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi,

May I ask How long your login lasts until you are finally signed out for your Arlo app? 

Thank you

jcrain
Apprentice
Apprentice

It varies considerably. Usually a few days, but the other day it happened in less than one day. I signed in in the morning, after lunch it said "your session has expired".

wurstbeutel
Guide
Guide
Same issue here, all devices updated. both on ios
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @wurstbeutel

Did you happen to receive my PM?

Thanks

I77ac10
Initiate
Initiate
100%. The expiration feature has no benefit a security system.

I’ve been mostly happy with the system but this will make me look elsewhere when it’s time to upgrade.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @I77ac10

Can you provide some more detail regarding the issue you are experiencing? 

I77ac10
Initiate
Initiate

@ShayneS When not opening the app for a while we noticed our geofenced arming will stop working. 

In order to fix, we (all family members) open the app, then it says our session had expired, that there was a firmware upgrade, and we need to log in again.

So at any moment in time, it's difficult to tell if the system is arming without constantly opening the app by everyone in the family for geofence arming.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@I77ac10

Does this occur within less than 24 hrs? 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hello,

This issue has been identified and a fix to resolve this issue will be coming soon. I will provide another update as soon as possible.

jcrain
Apprentice
Apprentice

It does with our devices, yes.

jcrain
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hooray. It can't come soon enough!

sh10056
Tutor
Tutor
My wife and I have the same issue. Very frustrating.
Woodself
Tutor
Tutor

i HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM

ngl1604
Apprentice
Apprentice
Any update on this Shane? It seems to be happening more frequently than ever at the moment (I have three family members devices added to geofencing). When it works, I find it works well but this frequent logging out is frustrating.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hey @ngl1604

Yes, thanks for your patience. This should be resolved in the next update coming soon. I will provide another update as soon as I hear more.

Thanks 

Teer
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, four times within one hour, tonight. 4 19 22

not sure the doorbell model.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Teer wrote:

not sure the doorbell model.

If it has a removable battery, then it is the AVD2001.  Otherwise it is the AVD1001.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Are you still experiencing this issue with the latest mobile app update version 3.6.4?

ngl1604
Apprentice
Apprentice
So far so good (but it’s only been a day since all devices were updated).

I’ll post again after a few days with an update.

🤞
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@ngl1604

Thanks for the update 

wurstbeutel
Guide
Guide
on our devices it is usually after some 10-16 days, i‘ll give you a headsup.