Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

I just did the latest November 21 update for the Arlo Android app. After I did the update, the app popped up with a notification that said it needed new permissions and would need to push out notifications to my phone. I thought that was fine because that's the way it's always been, but I've never seen this notification come from the app. The next thing that popped up was that it was asking for permission to make phone calls, which I denied because I don't want Arlo to make phone calls for me. I only have the basic. I was told  that with the Premium plan, the app can call 911. Nevertheless, the only permissions I've ever given Arlo is for notifications, and it worked just fine before.

After a bit of troubleshooting, it's very clear that denying the Arlo app the ability to make phone calls breaks the app. I can get into the Mode screen, but then the app does not allow me to do anything further. That means I can't arm or disarm cameras. I can't set up zones; I can't do scheduling; I can't do anything that I would need to do through the Mode screen. This is true for both Arlo Q and Pro 2 cameras on my app.

I did call customer support, and he took notes, gave me case #, and said someone would get back to me. So if you are having the same problems please call them and let them know....

456 REPLIES 456
Adkins
Aspirant
Aspirant
How did you find the prior version? I have tried to find away to uninstall last update, but my tech knowledge is limited.
Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

The uodated Nov 21 Arlo app on my Note 4 is misbehaving in many ways. I turned off phone permissions, and am able to at least check on on my videos. I didn't update the app on my Galaxy tablet, so that still has the October at version. However, after observing things since last Thursday, it's very clear that the videos are also now completely messed up.... maybe it happened earlier and I didn't notice, but regardless the point is they're messed up....

I have both Pro 2 and Arlo Q cameras. The Arlo Qs get the most action. The indoor Arlo Q's are getting triggered to record a lot, but there's clearly no movement at all on most of videos. And when it should be recording, there is no video. For the Arlo Q camera that's pointed out the front window, I just noticed that the video changed after I watched it. This happened on my Note 4, and then when I double checked on my Galaxy Tablet, the exact same thing happened.  The video was originally of a man walking a dog. Then when I tried to watch the video again, it was of a car--no man or dog in sight. WTF? The video of the man walking the dog has completely disappeared. So apparently even though I can check on my videos, I can't even trust when they actually occurred or that they're  being stored properly.

No idea if it's the app, the firmware, or the Arlo servers that are messing up the videos. How do things get messed this messed up?!

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

Lbizzle: you had asked how to turn off auto updates on apps.

Go to the Google Play Store. For my Samsung products, I get to the menu by hitting the three horizontal bars on the upper left-hand corner.

- Then I select "Settings." 

- The third item on settings is "Auto-update apps." Click on that.

- Then I get a pop-up menu. And I select "Don't auto-update apps."

I always do this because there's a lot of junk apps on my phone that I don't use and have disabled, so I don't want them updated. I have to update all my apps manually, and I review what the update entails before I update it. Usually if they're asking for more permissions or something that I don't want, I just don't update, or I make it a point to turn off the extra permissions after the app has updated.

davo13
Aspirant
Aspirant
There seems to be a problem with the new update that was pushed out to everyone on or about 11/21/2018. I can no longer get my Android app to load and get a message to either "close app" or "Send feedback" which I have already done. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, rebooting my phone, and nothing seems to work which has me asking why Arlo didn't trouble shoot this before pushing it to everyone. Please give us an update Arlo!!! Or go back the the previous version until you debug this.
steve_t
Master Master
Master

What make and model phone have you got? Did you try going in to the app settings and clearing the data for it? 

davo13
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I cleared the cache and data under phone options/apps but that only gets me to the login screen.  When I try logging in I get the same error messages as before.  I have a Samsung Galaxy J7 Star (Samsung Knox).  I have never had a problem until this update.

MartinSwede
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hundreds of users report the same thing but still no announcement from Arlo Support team (what I can see) that they officially know about the problem and timeframe to fix it with an new update. So unproffesionally and lack of respect. Still can see some ideas and suggestion floating arround but fact is that nothing helps and reason is a bug in the latest update of the app 21 nov. Suggest you all contact the support or call them in order to set pressure and that they make an offically notice about the problem.

Users face different problem and it works for some with older devices but for me and other using latest Android and Samsung mobile the app crashes all them time when you receive or make a phone call. When app crasches you do not get any notifications. When app is upp and running everyting runs ok though.

If any Arlo support or community managers team reads this please send out an announcement in the community so people know what the problem is so people can save time not trying to fix it themselves with reinstall or clear memory etc...and each day new users address the same issue... The biggest reason for me when decided to buy Arlo Pro 2 compared to competitors was the easy App and the flexibility with it but recently it seems Arlo developers just play arround with functions without testing it propely. In this update I believe it had to do with the right app demands using the phone and to make calls etc..If you do not accept that function do not work and if you accept it crasches...

Hanna973
Aspirant
Aspirant
Since 5 day i can t acess To arlo application on my phone
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Is the system working on your web browser at   https://arlo.netgear.com/

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Alme1
Aspirant
Aspirant
My arlo app cannot be opened, message pop-up, say app keep closing. What should i do.
Adkins
Aspirant
Aspirant
How about install in a prior version or reverting to an older version?
Bestusernameev
Guide
Guide

@Adkins wrote:
How about install in a prior version or reverting to an older version?

If you scroll through, you will find where people have found an older version and have successfully uploaded it.

Bestusernameev
Guide
Guide

From another thread:

You're not alone. It seems to be an issue with our Samsung J7 Neo phones. I keep having to uninstall the app and then go to www.arkmirror.com and search for Arlo, then scroll down to the Oct. 30, 2018 update and download that. Then on your phone, check notifications and you'll see the download and when you click on that, you get the option to install. It's a large pain in the backside. I'm thinking I need a Ring system instead 😞

Bestusernameev
Guide
Guide
eagletalon357
Aspirant
Aspirant

For over a week I have not been able to use the Arlo pro 2 app I downloaded from the Play Store. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app numerous times with no luck. I've tried every Arlo app on the Play Story with negtive results. When I sign into the app it states "Arlo keeps stopping Close app, send feedback" I was going to purchase an additional camera but if this is going to keep up I will try another company! 

Ferrard
Tutor
Tutor
I have a samsung j3 prime that was working fine with the app prior to the latest app update. The app crashes everytime I open it but the notifications continue to show up. I have lost the ability to use my cameras...huge let down. Contacted support who claim they are working on the update.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Many existing threads on this. It only happens on some devices. I have 3 and it only happens on 1. Open a case with support here to add pressure.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

You can also try a different device and/or use a browser.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While that seems to work for some, it didn't for me. I tried clearing both with no luck and then cleared both again and reinstalled the app - still no luck.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Many existing threads on this. It only happens on some devices. I have 3 and it only happens on 1. Open a case with support here to add pressure.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

slompochomp
Luminary
Luminary

Ya some devices don't like diffrent apps, maybe revert to an older version using an APK

If You Got Em....I'll Chew Em!

Netgear & Arlo Beta Tester
KayLor
Aspirant
Aspirant
I contacted Arlo tech support and they said everyone is having this problem. We must pay $199.99 for their Tech Support to fix the problem.
shaolin95
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well looks like  I am not the only one. I am back to the previous version as the latest updated crashes in both Pie and 8.1 for my phone (I flashed back to 8.1 thinking it was because of PIE). Works on my table that has a much older Android OS but that does not help me.

Am I missing any new features by not been able to get the latest version?

Bestusernameev
Guide
Guide

@KayLor wrote:
I contacted Arlo tech support and they said everyone is having this problem. We must pay $199.99 for their Tech Support to fix the problem.

Don't pay anything to anyone. I think someone mentioned that being a scam. You have to be careful when you google looking for a phone number, that you get he right phone number and not a bogus phone number. Use the number from this site.