Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

I just did the latest November 21 update for the Arlo Android app. After I did the update, the app popped up with a notification that said it needed new permissions and would need to push out notifications to my phone. I thought that was fine because that's the way it's always been, but I've never seen this notification come from the app. The next thing that popped up was that it was asking for permission to make phone calls, which I denied because I don't want Arlo to make phone calls for me. I only have the basic. I was told  that with the Premium plan, the app can call 911. Nevertheless, the only permissions I've ever given Arlo is for notifications, and it worked just fine before.

After a bit of troubleshooting, it's very clear that denying the Arlo app the ability to make phone calls breaks the app. I can get into the Mode screen, but then the app does not allow me to do anything further. That means I can't arm or disarm cameras. I can't set up zones; I can't do scheduling; I can't do anything that I would need to do through the Mode screen. This is true for both Arlo Q and Pro 2 cameras on my app.

I did call customer support, and he took notes, gave me case #, and said someone would get back to me. So if you are having the same problems please call them and let them know....

456 REPLIES 456
Lbizzle
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same thing happened with my Samsung SM-J237A. Totally broke the app. Will not launch and just tells me Arlo has stopped working. Uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail. Totally frustrated. Makes the system nearly useless. And to think I had considered buying their stock. No wonder it has tanked!

Reececup
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have one camera that isnt recording and arlo has crashed on my phone too.  Whats the point of paying close to $800 for something that doesn't work or is soo undependable.  I need this security or app to work on my phone now.

Reececup
Aspirant
Aspirant

I totally agree soo undependable.  Instead of piece of mine I'm having alot of stress.

CWest99
Tutor
Tutor

Hi,

I'm having issues with the latest update as well. I can access my cameras and Library.

I am not getting the LED light notifications, the custom sound I had set will not trigger, and Vibrate will not work.

I have tried uninstall/reinstall, and all the tricks and nothing fixes these issues. Gave app all the permissions too.

Using Samsung S9 (stock Android OS 8.0.0, with Nov Samsung security patch), Arlo app ver.2.6.3_23000

Hopefully, NetGear/Arlo will acknowledge, and fix, these issues quickly.

Thnaks,

Chris

Chas01
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have 10 cameras and the app runs off of Apple ios. My cameras were working fine until I updated the November 21, 2018 Arlo update. I am running the current version 12.1 of ios. After the Arlo update my cameras will no longer go live. They show connecting and then indicate live but they only show a still of the previous event. What is worse is the Arlo App totally freezes my iPhone X's Max for 3 or 4 minutes. You can't even force shut it down. After about 3 or 4 minutes the phone goes blank and then functions again. I contacted Arlo and gave them the scenario and they assigned a case number. This is a really bad time for these cameras to go out with the holidays and all. They need to fix it and fix it now.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Arlo Development team is currently investigating this topic. I will provide an update as soon as I know more.

JamesC

CameraPug
Star
Star

Same issue here, with a Samsung S7. After the update the following issues have shown up:

1. Alerts no longer trigger notifications to show up on the phone until you open the Arlo app or get another notification from a different app. 

2. The custom notification sounds no longer work and it uses the default phone notification sound.

3. It also seems that the notification sound repeats 3 to 4 times for each notification when they do finally come through. 

4. When making a phone call the Arlo app crashes. 

Mikemsi
Aspirant
Aspirant
Where did you find that older version?
I have been on Arlos site looking but ot just returns you on a continuous loop or redirects you back to the community.
Confused.
Mike
Justfixit
Initiate
Initiate

The thought of a class-action did cross my mind, as I estimate there are hundreds of unhappy, unserviced users that would be party to this action.  This unfixed problem is totally and completely unacceptable when we are dealing with security and peace of mind.  It's not some simple household electronic gadget that we can deal with that's not working.  We, as the consumers and end-users purchased this product in good faith and the company's inaction and or inability to correct and resolve this issue is unacceptable.  A class-action could result in a refund to the hundreds if not thousands of consumers who are affected and unhappy with the product and the company's nonchalant attitude towards resolving the problem.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While the J7s seem to be the majority of the problem phones, they're not alone. My Google Nexus 6 is also doing this.

Johninpa
Tutor
Tutor
So, development team, why not put the previous app version up so we can at least access our cameras?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@Alatarte wrote:

I received notification on Saturday, 24 Nov that my arlo app stopped/crashed.  I called and spoke to an Arlo technician and was told that the email account associated with my arlo app infected my app and for $199 they could fix it.  I declined. 

Then you didn't call Arlo but Googled for a number instead. The ONLY real support is from here:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

tschallenger
Aspirant
Aspirant
l have a wire-free camera system from Arlo with basesystem.. Everything is ok when l log on from my ipad, but l can't log on from my cellphone as usually because of your messages on the phone. This messages tells me that Arlo has stopped, and asks for a messages back to you. My camerasystem is perfectly ok from my ipad, so what stop me from log on from my smartphone is your messages l can't get deleted. Until today l got your message it has been no problem to use the cameras from my phone. l want you to delete your message on my smartphon that isn't correct,, and it makes trouble for me to steer my cameras from my phone. l have given a message back to you, but nothing happens. You hav to tell me why you have sent me this message that makes only trouble for me. Trond Santi
kerry729
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same problem and I started to play around with my Samsung S7 Edge. 

Go to settings, notifications, in all apps make sure Arlo is turned on and then click on it. Then under Notifications I found that under Importance it was set to Medium no sound. So I changed it to High make sound. Then I went back a screen to Sound and selected the one I wanted. After several test it seems to be working just fine now after that stupid update.

Solynn
Aspirant
Aspirant
The same applies to me for updates. I have cat s61.virket before updating
Grammie6
Initiate
Initiate
Get the old green app with bird in middle and arlo name in the square of the app from Amazon app store. This worked on my J7. Play store didn't have this app
MartinSwede
Apprentice
Apprentice
Same herr with Samsung S9+ Very bery dissapointed that no comments from Arlo yet that they know about the problem and will fix it. Latest update of App causes crashes all the time. For me everything works until you receive or make a call. You can see soon many inputs about this issue. Have reported it to the support and suggest you all do it In order to set pressure. Have tried everything and nothing helps so do not try any fixes suggested by support or users since useless. Arlo just have to fix the bug. Personally I believe it has to do with the access to the phone making call due to match their product door bell.
Bosko
Aspirant
Aspirant

Has there been any new answers today (11/26) to this issue?

I also can't access my system from my Mac either, I'm getting  camera is busy.

I'm not sure if this is related as my system worked fine earlier

Lbizzle
Aspirant
Aspirant

@Grammie6 wrote:
Get the old green app with bird in middle and arlo name in the square of the app from Amazon app store. This worked on my J7. Play store didn't have this app

Thank you Grammie6. This old version is up and running again on my phone. For those with similar issues, you first have to download the Amazon Appstore app, then download the older version of the Arlo app. Now how do I disable the automatic update function???  My next effort...  Thanks again.

RickDizzle
Star
Star
So on my Galaxy S7 edge, i took everyone's advice. I deleted the app, rebooted phone and reinstalled it. Now it won't even let me log in. Tells me incorrect password over and over then locks my account. Then I try to chane my password and it says i don't have permission to do so....so now instead of intermittently having issues...i cant even get in to my account...help!!!
rosyabq
Initiate
Initiate

We have only had our system for less than a month.  Have Arlo apps installed on 2 newer Android phones with T-Mobile service.  A few days ago, engaging the app from my phone gives one of two messages.  If I am not connected to wifi, it says that Arlo keeps stopping with choices to Close app or Send feedback.  If I am not connected to wifi, it says Arlo has stopped with the same choices.  I have uninstalled the app and reinstalled it with no success.  Now, my husband is experiencing the same issue.  HELP!  Good thing we bought this system @ Costco as they have an excellent return policy.

Bosko
Aspirant
Aspirant

Amazon's arlo ap made my issue worse

Jake1
Aspirant
Aspirant
My arlo app won't load it crashes on android it worked fine 1 week ago now as soon as it opens it crashes
youngbru
Aspirant
Aspirant

My wife and I both have Samsung Note 9 phones and the 2.6.2-23000 version of the app almost always crashes  when we make or receive a phone call. We can start the app right back up,, but it is important that it not crash. They need to fix this issue pronto!

RickDizzle
Star
Star
Arlo Team! Please explain to me how I can not get on to my Alro App now at all on my Galaxy S7 edge...yet my girlfriends phone her Galaxy S8 plus is not having this issue. This is ridiculous!