Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Regarlo
Initiate
Initiate

About 1/3 of the recordings Play for about 10 seconds and then the video freezes but the audio keeps playing. I have tried downloading the recording but the saved file is no different. I have two arlo pro 2 cameras both having the same problem. They are both hard wired. I use the arlo app on an iPhone8. The audio does not seem to be in sink with the picture either.
Not what you would expect for the price you pay for them.

338 REPLIES 338
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@improve58 wrote:

Just took a look at device info: Pro2 Camera Firmware is 1.125.13.0_31717. Base Station VMB4500r2 Firmware is 1.14.0.8_2877_1ef1ce  Is this new?

Neither was just updated. 

1.125.13.0_31717 was released in April 2019: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/Arlo-Pro-2-VMC4030P-1-125-13-0-31717-16th-April...

1.14.0.8_2877_c1ef1ce was released in September 2019: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/Arlo-Base-Station-VMB4500-1-14-0-8-2877-c1ef1ce...

billkex
Luminary
Luminary
It seems that all the quality issues started in April.
This is when I started experiencing all the freezing, skipping, and lousy image quality, etc.
vickmcam
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’m on the same boat. Before the Application update these cameras Arlo Pro2 were working just fine so I was a happy camper. Now I just want to throw these away (but they cost money)
Recording begins then video freezes at different intervals with audio continuing recording
Also my auto connection to my WiFi stop working after installing the so called latest app

I had purchased the basic Arlo cams and bought 2 more Pro 2

I am totally disappointed about these products

Will not buy again!

Goody123
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have set timed recording for 60seconds but both camera seem to stop at between 11-15 seconds in. The video on playback will run for the 60 seconds it is set to but all motion just disappears.
Arlo have replaced camera and base station but no better
Goody123
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the exact same issue and both of mine are powered
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Goody123

Do these recordings appear the same with the picture disappearing durning playback on the web browser & mobile app?

if you change the recording time to 30 secs or something different is the issue still present?

Goody123
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi Shayne yes.

Video set to record for 60 seconds and still have the issue 14 seconds in.

I have them both plugged into the Arlo external power cables and noticed on other forums that issue happens when plugged in.
Unplugged them and work perfect again. Arlo are apparently working on the plugged in issue
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far? I do not want to suggest anything you may have previously performed.

Eric182
Apprentice
Apprentice
@ShayneS

This is not a new issue. See the following thread.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-2/About-1-3-of-recordings-play-about-10-seconds-and-video-fre...

Apparently Arlo engineers have been working on a fix for this, but the problem has persisted since May. Multiple users in that thread have done pretty much everything possible to fix the problem—including replace cameras and base stations. Many believe the root cause of it is a firmware update at the end of May.
billkex
Luminary
Luminary

Yes this is one of several issues with the video that is recorded. Freezing, pixelating, speeding up, audio/video not in sync, blurry image, etc.   It all goes back to April/May when Arlo changed the software.

I'm still waiting to hear back from them. I'll keep you posted.

martincc
Luminary
Luminary

This video clipping is a problem that has been known to Arlo; it is NOT likely anything to do with how we users have installed or operate our cameras. Mine Arlo Pro 2's had worked fine for more than a year UNTIL 2019 when all manner of problems started up at Arlo Engineering. Arlo Engineering had developed good hardware (some neat new ideas) however, they are lousy with software/firmware - almost as bad as is Arlo Customer Service when it comes to wasting our time with misleading advice that does not accept responsibility for problems that originate with the product(s). How any thousand people have looked up this post to see why their camera is clipping? How many have had their time wasted by Customer Service asking them to do this or try that?

I no longer trust ANYTHING Arlo Customer Service advises me to do. These problems (video clipping, Adobe Flash incompatibilities accessing my arlo through browsers, etc.) are known to Arlo, and have been known to them for many months, yet they allow consumers to spin and waste time - aside from suffering from the inconveniences of cameras NOT doing what they are supposed to do.

I selected Arlo when it first came out, and invested notably to outfit several facilities, I even recommended them to friends; but by late 2019 I worry that I may have bet on the wrong horse.

I also note Arlo is disappearing from stores that used to sell them (Lowes, etc.), while at Best Buy the Arlo products are being crowded out but other makers cameras. I wonder if these choices of what to sell have to do with return rates and customer dissatisfaction?

My hat's off to Arlo Engingeering and Customer Support - I have rarely seen a company lose so much credibility, customer good will, and function, in such a short span of time as they at Arlo are managing.

Martin

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary
I agree that Arlo has the best hardware among their competitors--functionality and esthetics. Similarly, I find the design of the app to be the most useful of the security cameras I have. I thought that Arlo would improve over time and work out some of kinks. But instead things are less stable and just not working properly....

I really hope they get their act together soon!!! Particularly as I also have a lot of Arlo products that I don't want to become obsolete, and their competitors don't have any products that could replace them. However, Arlo must realize that one of their main competitors has been very aggressive in releasing new products with tons of marketing....
Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ShayneS  this has been going on for a long while now. Read through this whole thread and you'll realize this isn't at all a new issue. It impacts every single ac powered pro 2 camera no matter which base station model they are connected to, and causes the video to freeze and skip around at 10-15 seconds of playback on the cloud recorded videos.... not on usb recorded videos....

@JamesC has been involved and I sent him example videos of this behavior exhibited by all of my ac powered pro 2 cameras both from the cloud (that demonstrate the issue) and also downloaded from my base stations (vmb4000 and vmb5000 - neither exhibit the issue locally)

So basically this is a known problem impacting every ac powered pro 2 - and everyone in this thread is patiently waiting a resolution 

Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm in the same camp @Zzzzzzzzzz 

I have a lot invested in the arlo ecosystem and I believe they are at the top of their game in terms of hardware.

The software engineering team is where the issues stem from. Rolling out largely untested firmware that bugged everything up was commonplace earlier this year.

I will say this though - its come a long way and MUCH better than it was earlier this year. The recent software updates have resolved 99% of the problems I was having. Dare I say - my Ultra cameras work flawlessly now! Once this kink is worked out with the Pro 2 camera (which granted..... is a BIG debilitating issue) I'm 100% satisfied barring any future software meltdowns 😂

I find the support staff on the forums to be the best of all their support. Thanks for all your help over time @JamesC 

alchemist50
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well said.  I'd also like to thank @JessicaP  for her assistance in following up on my support case.

I purchased and added the Pro2 camera to my existing Pro system in August, and had the issues discussed here as soon as the camera was installed.  So, I can't personally confirm that they started way back in May, though that seems to be the consensus.  Six months and counting is a very long time to resolve a programming issue.  Otherwise, I too have been generally happy with the Arlo equipment.  I hope they really are now testing a solution.

Tony21
Aspirant
Aspirant

I gave up on Arlo a month ago I waited patiently since 10/2019 and started having issue with the camera video freezing no results no issue fixes it wasn’t for me to keep something that I paid for no longer working I cancelled my subscription as well. I had the Arlo Pro had issue with it given the round around with it customer service. I took it back got the Arlo Pro2 worked great doing the 1st year loved it until they came out with the Arlo Ultra with this new firmware update and mess up the performance of the Arlo Pro2 I waked patience for them to fixed I try everything on my end nothing seems to work. I wasn’t not going to deal with someone that don’t speak English well as I did before and not going to be any help and feed me some BS. I decided to take the piece of junk back where I purchased and purchase one of there competitors I’m glad I did my security cameras works flawless and better then the Arlo system. If you guys still have warranty on the Arlo take the junk back and look into something else. I got to have a security camera’s that I can rely on and dependable the Holidays are around the corner and porch Pirates 🏴☠️are active. 

arizreynolds
Aspirant
Aspirant
So these issues only arise when hardwired in ? Should I stay away I was thinking about buying
RogerWilco486
Guide
Guide
Yeah, don’t buy it. The issues are when the cameras are powered on AC, but AC power is required for using motion detection zones amongst other important features. In other words, the Arlo Pro 2 is useless as a reliable security device.

Check out Ubiquity cameras instead... a very powerful and flexible solution without a flaky back-end like Arlo.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RogerWilco486 wrote:
AC power is required for using motion detection zones amongst other important features. 

Not quite true.  Cloud activity zones work on battery power - they require a subscription though. 

CVR requires AC power, as does the 3-second lookback on video recording.

Overall, I am seeing some glitches in my pro-2 recordings, but not nearly as severe as some people are reporting here.  I normally run them on batteries, but I did switch one over to AC and it still worked acceptably for me.

The answer to the "hold off buying" question will of course vary greatly, depending on the personal experience of the person replying.  I think you'll find that's also true if you research forums for competing solutions.

arizreynolds
Aspirant
Aspirant
Appreciate all your guys feed back
billkex
Luminary
Luminary

The issues I have on the recorded videos (freezing, speeding up, pixelating, blurry images, audio/video not in sync, etc.) all happen on both the AC and battery powered cameras. 

I truly believe these problems are not caused by the cameras or base station. It is all due to software changes that Arlo made back in April-June timeframe.  Everything worked perfectly before that.

I'm still waiting for them to get back with me with a fix. I really hope they can resolve this. Otherwise, I will dump it and go to a different brand.

Tony21
Aspirant
Aspirant
I would stay away I use Arlo for 2 years and been patient with them regarding there products. I use to have the Arlo Pro had issues with it switched to the Arlo Pro2 good for a year then started to have issues with it. The customer service sucks barley can understand their language because their English not that well. Most likely they overseas because on the bad phone connection. They only give you the round around Arlo only Interested in putting out new products and not fixing the issue on their current products. I have the nest cam and the nest outdoors IQ cameras yes it more expensive but it’s reliable it recording 24/7 so you won’t miss a thing. Only thing it’s hardwire not battery Hardwire is a better system then battery anyway. These camera can go anywhere they come with an 25ft outlet cord. If you need a longer cord you can check Amazon. Just know where you want these cameras before buying them you can also have a BestBuy advisory come to your home to Evaluate. I hope this help good luck.
arizreynolds
Aspirant
Aspirant

I think I will stay away my wife wants wireless but maybe I get wired.

Tony21
Aspirant
Aspirant
I switch to the nest cam outdoors and the nest cam IQ outdoors which are hardwire. Hardwire are better and preformed better no issue very reliable and the video are amazing you’ll never miss a beat bc they record 24/7 have similar features as the Arlo. These Cameras are more expensive the subscription for 5 days is $20 more for 4 cameras then I was paying Arlo for a year. It’s not a deal breaker for me bc it’s recording 24/7 if get the Arlo subscription that recorded 24/7 you’ll pay more. I’m Happy with the Nest over the Arlo even if I wasn’t having problem with the Arlo I’ll still stick with the Nest what I know now. It’s no fuzzy in the video. When I had the Arlo Pro2 my picture quality drop from 1080P it was just horrible. Remember value is not always good you want to get something reliable when it comes to Home Security.
SAD2295
Tutor
Tutor

Hi,

I have an Arlo Pro 2 with record video if motion is detected.  I have chosen "record video until motion has stopped (max 300 sec).  My recordings are 11 or 15 seconds long as walk around in front of the camera for much longer. 

I saw a suggestion to check FAQs under support, camera type but apparently the instruction to reach this area are incomplete or there is no FAQ.