Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Regarlo
Initiate
Initiate

About 1/3 of the recordings Play for about 10 seconds and then the video freezes but the audio keeps playing. I have tried downloading the recording but the saved file is no different. I have two arlo pro 2 cameras both having the same problem. They are both hard wired. I use the arlo app on an iPhone8. The audio does not seem to be in sink with the picture either.
Not what you would expect for the price you pay for them.

338 REPLIES 338
Beef
Apprentice
Apprentice
I’m with you this has dragged on and on with arlo keeping quiet.I might use mine for golf practice.
Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

Add my Pro 2 cameras to the list.... experiencing all the same issues that are being described here. This includes videos going into "fast motion" while the timer advances normally, then video freezing (around 11 seconds mark) while audio continues. Useless as a security camera...

Also, many problems when trying to view videos on the an Android app, the timer is messed up (e.g., always shows 11 seconds) and not possible to try to view the video at different time points; this issue has happened previously and was fixed (last year?) but has re-emerged.  Issues involving 11 seconds  seems to be a bit of a theme with my cameras....

So far, my Arlo Q's seem to be recording OK the full 120 seconds when set to record 120 seconds instead of only when there is motion.

Also want to note that the activity zones have NEVER worked on ANY of my cameras (Pro 2s and Arlo Q's). 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team is actively investigating reports of this issue. As soon as we have more information on this topic, I will post an update here.

JamesC

RogerWilco486
Guide
Guide

Thank you JamesC.

mchromiec
Guide
Guide

@RogerWilco486 Please make that video and I will share it daily until this gets fixed!!!!

4 months back and forth with customer service level 2 with no positive outcome. Cameras and base station replaced, modem channels changed to only be told last nigh that i am the only person(over the phone) with that problem and that the engineering team will be looking into it. 

They now been looking at it for over a week without any new solution to the problem.

This now is beyond a joke!!! My cameras are out of warranty so the place of purchase won't give refund and Arlo stuff are there to say hello and sorry only. I have been robbed twice in the last month with footage unusable for police.

Ignoring the fact won't make it go away!!!

@JamesC I been dealing with Van and Nina from lvl2 support, perhaps you could contact them and let them know about the amount of people in this group that has the same issue worldwide as they believe i am the ONLY person with this issue.

For your reference my case number is 40857339 and please reply here instead of private, we all deserve to know what you have to say.

Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for your help as always @JamesC  -  I also just sent you everything you needed to assist in tracking down and resolving this one! I appreciate your help!

radiowc
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem, did you ever get the resolution?

TIA

Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
I know Arlo is actively looking into this problem - and I’ve sent several specific examples of the issue happening.

Let’s hope for a resolution!
radiowc
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi

I’m having the problem with my Arlo pro 2 camera that plugged into power outlet,

When try to view live video.... the Live video freezing after about 10seconds

Please kindly help 😞

radiowc

Eric182
Apprentice
Apprentice
alchemist50
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank You Mjbeuke and JamesC for the update and for working with support on this.  My Pro2 messes up several recordings daily, so I'm surprised if Arlo can't duplicate the issue.

A significant clue may be that the mp4 files stored locally on the USB flash drive on the base station never show freezes, accelerated motion, or video/audio sync issues, even when the cloud recordings do.  The only time my mp4 files are not normal is when I get random length recordings (usually short).  Then the length of the mp4 and cloud versions match.

Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yep same here - and this is what I just sent over samples of. My Pro 2’s are set to second for 2 minutes on motion..... I sent examples of the same video with the same time stamps - one downloaded from the Library/Arlo’s servers - and one downloaded from my MicroSD card inserted into my SmartHub. The ones from the Arlo library very clearly demonstrate the issue - and the ones from my SD do not.

That and also sent over logs from my system & phone app.

For now I have my Pro 2’s plugged into smart outlets, since when they are running on battery none of this happens - only when on AC power. So I’ve got my switches set on a schedule to only turn on AC power for 1 hour overnight - which charges the cameras for 1 hour back to 100% then shuts back off. So they run on battery all day and I don’t miss recordings....

Obviously this is *hopefully* a temporary measure until this is resolved. Can’t be good for the batteries to drain 20-40% every day and be recharged like that long term.
radiowc
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi, thanks for the update. Unfortunately if you switch to Battery mode, you will missed some video in advance. You know what I mean compare to using A/C power when action get triggered

Hopefully Arlo will fix it ASAP.
Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
Indeed - it stinks to lose the 3 second lookback which is why I wanted them on AC power to begin with (that and to not have to charge batteries all the time).

My workaround is just that - a workaround.... definitely not an acceptable solution permanently for a million different reasons!

Let’s hope for a fix - fingers crossed and I have faith 😉
radiowc
Aspirant
Aspirant
@Mjbeuke

100% agreed with you. That must be fix. Mine same like yours, when running on battery, it works fine.

Watching/following this forum very closely 🙂

Reallyconfused
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

So I am looking back at all the video of my two cameras which are running on A/C.  I noticed now that I did see the first few seconds in slow motion for a few days after the last update and switch to the new app. That is gone now.  But ALL my videos do have the 3 second “look back” feature happening. The two battery powered units do not, of course, have it.

My two biggest complaints  now are  the pixelation and general poorer quality of the video capture, and maybe the biggest of the two being the people vanishing into thin air long before the video ends. Not much use to me if I need to show something to the police after a break in and the person is gone. This expensive system is suppose to ACTUALLY RECORD THE INTRUDER!  Is that not what I am paying for, Arlo?

JoseGArlo
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks everyone for putting all of your input and hopefully Arlo will get this resolved!

I have 3 Arlo Pro2 cameras, 2 on AC power and one on Solar.

All we’re having the same issues as everyone else. As a temporary solution, I had unplugged one camera’s AC power where I do not necessarily need the 3s before the motion is detected. I’ve only seen one video over the last week with the video freezing. My recordings are from 5s to 2.5mins long. Just wanted to share for others to try so not all cameras may not need be on battery only.
improve58
Luminary
Luminary

@Mjbeuke So at this point the only stopgap measure would seem to be using either a smart switch or a standard timer/switch to turn off the AC power for maybe two weeks. (based on our usage when we had it on batteries only, they would last maybe 25 days. But you probably wouldn't want to run them down too low as they might become unreliable lower than 20%??)

In our case--inside an apartment--we can leave the system off at night--certainly for a few hours every few weeks to charge up maybe from 40% up to 100%. Note that this forum has informed us that when it says 100% it's really 80% which is done to prevent overcharging. Only way to charge to 100% is to use a separate battery charger.

The downside of running on batteries for a few weeks is obviously that you lose the 3 second advance recording. I'll take that over the shortened videos any day. But everybody's situation is different. i'll try this with one timer/switch and see what happens.

I think it's more likely that this forum will figure out the best jerry-rig before the Arlo engineers do.

improve58
Luminary
Luminary

CORRECTION I was a little sleep deprived with last post. Obviously most timers can't be set to turn power on every two weeks. I'd have to use a manual or a smart switch. Also the camera would never be off, but would run on batteries for about two weeks then powered for a few hours, then run batteries only another two weeks until charged dropped to about 40%.

drewguy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Another person with the same problem - powered Pro2 camera.  Not all recordings truncate, but a number do.  Audio continues but the video stops recording.

RogerWilco486
Guide
Guide

Ubiquiti UniFi is looking like a mighty attractive alternative...

Beef
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just had a call back from arlo tech guy apparently I am the only one with this problem yeh right.

Anyway tried a couple of things like changing WiFi channel restarting etc and as expected no change to the glitchy video.

Was going to to send me a new camera even though it happens on all my powered up cameras.

He wanted my credit card details before sending me a new camera so I declined as I’ve already been stung by arlo buying a system that doesn’t work as advertised.

RogerWilco486
Guide
Guide

See, that is exactly what I find so infuriating about this issue!  We've got moderators here saying the company is investigating the issue, but then tech support telling customers it's not a known problem and they've never heard of it before.

Seriously Arlo?  Are you looking at this or just blowing smoke up our collective butts?  Have you read the posts in this thread, at least one indicating there's been actual theft involved but useful video footage wasn't available due to this bug?

I really am considering trashing my Arlo setup and putting a Ubiquiti UniFi system in instead.  It costs about the same but Ubiquiti looks to be a more "prosumer" class of product.  And from what I read it actually...you know....records video properly.

radiowc
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hey guys,

I just did another test...you guys might want to try this... those who want to use the AC plug, remove the battery completely and only connect with AC connected. It works better now.

It works great for me.
mchromiec
Guide
Guide

Wooohooo I've been promoted to level 3 support!!! Aren't i lucky?

Level 3 support is in the USA! wow what a breakthrough i been told. I'm glad that even the arlo tech support seemed to have some faith now in the americans(The way the guy sounded is that those guys are actually trained and competent).

Anyway i told arlo that i am done performing any tests and troubleshooting and would like a refund. I been told they cannot give refund and asked me to go to the shop i bought it from. I told the level 2 guy that my unit is no longer under warranty.

Only when i asked for the legal team as my 5 months process in rectifying the problem isn't working, the operator decided to put some "notes" in and promised for the level 3 to contact me within 24-48h. 

I have already started a letter to the Australian government body that deals with consumer law. Lucky for us in Australia that our consumer laws are very strong and Arlo won't stand a chance, especially given the amount of you guys with same problems here.

As usual will keep this forum updated.

@JamesC  still waiting for your response. Feel free to tag other Arlo representatives.