Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Regarlo
Initiate
Initiate

About 1/3 of the recordings Play for about 10 seconds and then the video freezes but the audio keeps playing. I have tried downloading the recording but the saved file is no different. I have two arlo pro 2 cameras both having the same problem. They are both hard wired. I use the arlo app on an iPhone8. The audio does not seem to be in sink with the picture either.
Not what you would expect for the price you pay for them.

338 REPLIES 338
Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
any update on this one? It is most definitely and issue that probably anyone with Pro 2’s that are plugged into ac power is experiencing.

I know you’d mentioned getting some word over to the engineering team - surely there’s been countless call ins on this too.
Cpcp
Guide
Guide
What does support say when you call?? Here’s what it does 99/100 times
Cpcp
Guide
Guide
Yes no different
Eric182
Apprentice
Apprentice
Does anyone from Arlo care to comment on this? Does anyone from Arlo want to give us an update on what is being done to address this issue?

I can’t get my camera to record for two minutes unless it’s on battery power only.
Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yea this one is becoming really incredibly annoying. I’ve got my power bricks on WiFi switches so I can remotely turn them on to charge the cameras while I’m away to 100% then switch them back to battery after so they actually function..... I just happen to have these WiFi outlets - otherwise it would not be worth spending $50 just to be able to use a camera system...

I have never in my life heard no of a device functioning on battery but NOT ON AC Power....

@JamesC is there any chance you could help us get some attention to this matter and have this looked at through firmware updates?

There’s no way to view video from the microSD yet - so if it’s not on the cloud you can’t even see what is happening around the house when Pro 2s are plugged in....
Eric182
Apprentice
Apprentice
This problem started for me after the May firmware update @JamesC @JessicaP
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I will open a ticket and speak with the development team about these reports. I will provide an update here when I have more information.

JamesC

Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
Awesome thank you sir! Always appreciate the help
alchemist50
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes, Thank You!

Another piece of information:  I took down the Pro 2 and placed it inside the house about six feet away from the base station.  Camera was plugged into the AC adapter that came with it.  Within a couple of hours, I had three short recordings.  I don't think it's a weak wifi signal.

TFan4ever
Guide
Guide
Thanks for the added information, as I am frustrated with all of the 15 second videos with remaining 1:45 mins of just audio.
Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
I’ve tested everything.

Arlo branded charging brick and short cord it came with & offbrand brick with 17’ outdoor cords.

Far away and on their outdoor mounts, and close to the base station inside.

Plugged in and on battery.

The only time it happens is plugged into AC power regardless of which camera, power brick, or charging cable I am using (short 4’ish cord and Arlo brick that came with it - or the Wasserstein 17’ and brick it came with - and it happens on all 5 Arlo Pro 2’s and not on my Ultras).
Arlopic
Aspirant
Aspirant
Would be curious if this started happening after any Arlo updates? I’m sure there are updates we are not aware of... just a thought.
Anyone with regular Arlo Pro having this problem or just Arlo Pro 2?
Beef
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wow just had another email from arlo support the third asking for the exact same information as the other two emails,one was addressed to someone called hank whoever he is.

So again I supply the same info isp router brand etc,I’m getting dizzy going round in circles.

I think the tech guys need rolling in honey and have us throw wasps nests at them to wake them up.

Beef
Apprentice
Apprentice
Eric182
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yes it did happen after a firmware update at the end of May of this year. It’s only Arlo pro two cameras
Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yes this started happening after the dreaded May 21st(ish) update. That was the update that literally completely crippled every aspect of the Pro 2 camera system and VMB4000 base station.

With that update I remember starting to see shortened 15ish second clips and the frozen video/working sound - exactly as described in this thread and still ongoing today. However at the time - I didn’t know how to describe it and I had NO IDEA what could be causing it. In fact I have some old threads out there from May and June where I was describing this problem - and I’ve seen other threads pop up out there describing this issue - but this was the thread that gave me the “Ah Ha!” moment causing me to dig deep on AC power testing.

That update also crippled the base station causing it to randomly freeze for hours - which there is a giant most-viewed thread on.... not sure if they fixed that yet because I’ve been using the VMB5000 SmartHub, so I’m unsure if they addressed all the base station freezing issues or not....

@Beef - I know the frustration of repeating yourself - but let’s read between the lines here. We have @JamesC helping us look into this - and now you have had contact from Arlo. The silver lining a they are actively looking into this for us!

Let’s hope the engineers can figure it out!

@JamesC I’ve done extensive testing with this issue and it is most certainly only happening only on AC power. Feel free to have any engineering team members email or call me if I can help track down and resolve this one
TFan4ever
Guide
Guide
Thank you all, as I hope this can be swiftly addressed to bring back the functionality to our systems
Cpcp
Guide
Guide
Yes makes no difference at all
Kktracy3
Apprentice
Apprentice
@Mjbeuke I have done the same thing with my pro2 on the WiFi switch. I miss the 3 second look back but battery is better than the 14 second cut off clips all the time. Hopefully this can get resolved soon. You would think they could just go back go the previous firmware until this gets figured out.
bogdanoj
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue.  Camera is plugged in.  Is there any fix for this?

erasmus
Aspirant
Aspirant

What a splendid response Dannybear!!

I recently bought a Pro2 two camera kit and after about 8 hours trying to get it to work as described I came to this site for help.

Of course, rather than help to fix it, I got good information confirming I'd bought a product online which flouted all three requirements of the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

I considered that by having a reliable 56Mbps download /10Mbps upload with low latency the latest firmware and batteries charged that I met Arlo's proper operational threshold for WiFi.

I considered the product unfit for purpose, of unsatisfactory quality and a misleading product match as described by Arlo.

Having discussed the matter with the Retailer I repacked the kit and returned it under the terms of the Act and was promptly given a full refund.

My advice is test everything within 14 days and notify the Retailer why you are dissatisfied. (Use this forum as evidence perhaps). You then have a further 14 days to return the product for a full refund.

I do hope this helps any depairing recent purchaser. As for the others read the Act. Don't buy on the high street. Test and report to the Retailer with who you have contract (not Arlo)

So please stop moaning if you are within 14 days of purchase. Just send it back lol and then Arlo will get your hint eh?

Arlopic
Aspirant
Aspirant
Have had system over a year and added to slowly.

Of course you are without security with your return, let us know what you ended up with.
alchemist50
Apprentice
Apprentice

Support got back with me last week, finally admitted they're aware of this problem and are working on a solution.

Today I get an email saying that the case will be marked closed in 3 days unless I respond.  I had five video freezes today, so obviously the issue is not resolved, at least for me.

I responded, asking them to keep working on a solution.  Are others still having issues as well?

Kktracy3
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yes there has been no fix yet. I get about 10 out of 20 a day a screwed up. There will have to be a firmware update I assume. We need to keep pushing them sounds like. I have talked multiple times and they want to replace my camera but I know that is not the fix
Arlopic
Aspirant
Aspirant
Will have to check later, shows no recording (on street!) for two days. Last ones were 11sec. , 34sec. 1:06, 28 sec... have set for set length.

Now needs rebooting or something. Pro2