Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

JRD761
Tutor
Tutor

I'm trying to link my Google Home Assistant devices (Chromecast and Google Home Hub) to my 3 Arlo cameras. I was able to link my Arlo Account in the Google Home app, and the camera names show, but when you attempt to open a camera it says "Not Responding".
I've tried unlinking and relinking my Arlo Account multiple times and it still will not work.
Why won't this work?

310 REPLIES 310
SpencerCole
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have Arlo and Google Assistant linked, Arlo app and all cameras working properly but when trying to stream on Google Assistant, "camera offline" message is displayed. I have unlinked and relinked several times. Randomly the camera image did appear on my Google Home screen a few times but that seems to have stopped- zero success this week. Any help? Please?

DaniloLiberato
Aspirant
Aspirant
I think I found a workaround. If you open the arlo app and start a live stream of the camera, then you ask Google to stream the same camera, it then works. That tells me that google home is not being able to "wake" the arlo camera to start the live stream.
djg41882
Guide
Guide

Dang, that works! Thanks professor! These may not be a complete waste of money yet! But it appears that I cannot close the app on my phone or it stops streaming.

Catchbag
Apprentice
Apprentice

Nice, Ive confirmed that works also. Whats interests me is lately im able to tell Google Assistant to stream the relevant camera on a chromecast device with no problems. So not sure why the difference in direct connect/stream within Google Home app. 

MauroMez
Aspirant
Aspirant

Trying to stream Arlo Pro 2 cam through Google assistant. Cam recognized by the assistant, but not responding when triggered (tapping on the cam). Tried to enable the streaming by the app (working) and at the same time through Google assistant (still not working). Any suggestion how to solve this problem? 

RazNik
Tutor
Tutor
Same problem. Arlo added on Google Home but no livestream: "no reponse". I called helpdesk, anwer: " we know the problem, our engineer are working on it..."
Danny420
Aspirant
Aspirant
Help
Tim90210
Aspirant
Aspirant

Some news, it is a Google problem, not Arlo. Google Home app/Google Nest is virtually worthless. Only a handful of things work on it and I have never seen a successful demo of the Google Home app, nor the Nest Hub successfully connecting to basically anything I own outside Andriod TV (Nvidia Shield) and Chromecast. I fail with my Honeywell thermostat, my Samsung Smarth devices (TVs, speakers, "SmartThings", hub), TP Link wifi smart sockets, and even Hue. The Arlo ecosystem is prone to lagging response times but this can only be blamed on Google.

RazNik
Tutor
Tutor
Sorry, but when you buy this camera and you see the specs, you can read : "work with the GOOGLE assistant". It is therefore normal that the consumer can not enjoy this option. And it seems like it's been going on for several months. I am really disappointed. If it's Google's fault, in this case Netgear should no longer mention that it's compatible with Google Assistant, and repair the damage caused to consumers for misleading advertising. It's my point of view.
Tim90210
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well, you are obviously so upset that you have forgotten that companies managing thousands of vendors may push updates that do in fact break the experience and that service agreements between companies may cease to be at any time for any reason. As a software engineer, I know all too well that things can be broken when software is updated so we have to rebuild, patch or rollback often in order to prevent outages. My point is that Google's service does not work with a lot of the things they claim to, and that it can be a current build version issue of the software.

When Netgear/Arlo made their software, at that time, it did work, so no, there was no misleading advertising at all.

RazNik
Tutor
Tutor
Go see on the website, it is always indicated that it is compatible with Google assistant. It's not up to consumers to worry about software or other problems. The consumer pays for a product with everything that it promises, and Arlo cameras are quite expensive. Call it what you want, but when a product does not meet the promises it boasts, I call it misleading advertising. It's that simple. Your programmer stories and license agreements are not about the consumer.
Tim90210
Aspirant
Aspirant

You are being cranky, I can't fix your current demeanor with solid logic. Best of luck in your rage posts.

RazNik
Tutor
Tutor
I am not here to say good or bad. I give my point of view and my experience on this product. If you do not like it, I do not care🤷🏻‍♂️. Nothing obliges you to agree with me. Your arguments are not at all convincing sorry. on this, peace ☮️ ✌️.
Catchbag
Apprentice
Apprentice
As a consumer, I think its fair to say that if a product is purchased based on whats stated on the box ie: "works with google assistant" then the expectation is set. If softwate updates break functionality, that claim should be removed or the parties resolve the issue immediately. It's very apparent an issue has arisen and little to nil communication or resoltution has been enacted for the consumer. That is the real failure here, ownership needs to be taken by one or both companies as consumers are purchasing a product based on integration claims that clearly are misleading currently. It either works or it doesnt..and right now it doesnt. So fix it or remove the claim..simple in my mind after spending $1200 partly based on it doung what it says it does.
Tim90210
Aspirant
Aspirant

We know they are working on a fix, but it actually works for some people so there is no false claim being made. However I do have a love/hate relationship with my 10 cam system. I work/contract long hours for a major tech giant, and I rely on Arlo to monitor my home. Given my skillset, I have some empathy for the Arlo team but I can also see myself getting lazy and wanting this to work as expected with Google Home. But never make an engineer frustrated, they'll go make something better for themselves.

So let's address Arlo specifically here as the services have been less than stellar.

1. The Ultras were taken off the market for video being, let's politely say "terrible", then re-released. They are still not great.
  2. The Arlo app has major latency issues, but it works.
  3. The cameras get forgotten by the base station A LOT.
  4. The web app uses Flash which is being dropped by every reasonable browser.
  5. The speakers on the Ultras for two-way communication are pretty weak.
  6. The Ultras get mad if you don't use an approved charging brick.
  7. Proprietary Ultra charging cable.
  8. The fineprint exonerates them from system outages

Arlo does not publicly expose an API, but the Homebridge project has been successful in building Arlo hooks into their IoT apps even on an RPi, which I plan on trying shortly. I also poked around some repositories and it looks promising, maybe I'll build a Picroft-Mycroft device and make my own display drivers to be a more secure and privacy oriented home assistant. I am wondering if I circumvent the front end if I can get better streams, maybe write my own object recognition AI and response system to play through the speaker. Maybe a Jetson Nano to power it.

https://github.com/search?q=arlo

Catchbag
Apprentice
Apprentice
All fair comments mate. Ive been in I.T all my career so get it. I work with developers and engineers and have worked for major I.T corporates where fixes and features are addressed smartly so know whats possible and get it often takes some time. I also work in Telco where we avtively monitor and engahe with our geeky cimmunities which is well received. So I guess Arlo could do better listening, advising and engaging their community to expediate fixes and ultimately turn frustrated customers into allies. Come on Arlo..were here to help.
BriscMoy
Star
Star

My biggest issue is the lack of communication from Arlo.... yes things go wrong, but you would expect some sort of feedback and status updates from Arlo. This is how companies set themselves apart.

This is a good product that is being let down by very poor service... It does not warrant the premium price.

oneshot678
Aspirant
Aspirant

How old is this thread? and it still is not resolved. NETGEAR you guys listening?

Tim90210
Aspirant
Aspirant
Take a look at this article about Google shutting down an API. All these complaints about Arlo is the same as blaming HBO because your cable provider dropped them.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/google-is-a-bald-faced-iot-liar-and-its-nest-pants-are-on-fire/?ftag=C...

Smigit
Initiate
Initiate
Works with Nest is a different program so that’s not particularly relevant. We’re discussing Google Assistant here, not Nest integrations. The Nest changes is to streamline Google offerings by moving Nest devices to the Google Assistant/Home foundations. The issues in this topic relate to the Google integrations Nest devices are moving to, not what Nest uses today. The Nest changes are an issue but to different use cases or users.

And even if it was relevant it doesn’t change the fact Netgear are advertising the devices as supported and are very quiet when it comes to communicating on the issue. The Nest news came up within the past 6 months and these issues predate any changes to the Nest policies.
Geojeff
Tutor
Tutor
Did you ever get solution? Its September 2019, and issue still exists
Geojeff
Tutor
Tutor
Well it's been a year and you still haven't fixed. Will return and never purchase arlo again. Nest works perfectly!
owen0507
Tutor
Tutor
Yes, that’s what they always say, engineering working on it. Until warranty expired.
Tim90210
Aspirant
Aspirant
Arlo has always been buggy, laggy and unreliable and well documented and here we all are. All the problems are par for the course with this company.

Even if it worked, I expect that when you see the stream it will be a good 30 to 60 seconds after the fact.

Here's a bobcat on my steps
Tim90210
Aspirant
Aspirant

Look, Google's problems run deep. They even bricked some of their own stuff.

CNET: Google's smarthome ecosystem is a complete mess