Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
its_Tricky83
Guide
Guide

Following the instructions outlined here to a tee. Try as I might, I am unable to connect Google Assistant to my Arlo account.

At step "7. Sign in with your Arlo account.". After signing into my Arlo account, an "Account now linked" webpage appears in simple text for barely a tenth of a second before I am returned to the selection of smart device brands and a message appears briefly (about half a second) at the bottom of my phone screen stating "Couldn't update the setting. Check your connection." see screenshot below.

Screenshot_20181101-222144_Google.jpg

I have tried renaming all my Arlo Cameras and the Hub to simple one-word labels.

I have also tried deleting my entire Google Home profile and setting it up from scratch. 

I have tried dropping my phone off the wifi network and onto cellular to perform the account sync.

I have reset and reconnected my Chromecast (Gen 1).

Everything is setup fairly stock standard and all on the same network.

The firmware on all devices are 100% up to date.

It's really starting to frustrate me and I'm starting to wonder if the issue is more widespread at the moment?

75 REPLIES 75
GaryRoyale
Aspirant
Aspirant

The problem magically did go away for me as far as linking up the Arlo to google home. I can see my camera listed and assign it to a room and thats as much as I can do. I can't view the camera or play it to my TV. I get a "Not responding" message. 

I guess thats some progress, but still not working. 

mattmacosta
Tutor
Tutor
Fix for me was to unsubscribe from smart arlo premium - not ideal but can now work seamlessly
Alfie64
Star
Star

For months I had Arlo linked just fine to my Google Home via Google Assistant. But I guess reading around the web there was some Arlo update (?) that boinked the whole thing up and now I can't link my account to Google Assistant. Every time I try it says "Couldn't update that setting, check your connect". I've tried via my Google Wifi Mesh internet at home, I've tried using just my cell connection 4G LTE, same thing. I've tried everything other than deleting the app from  my phone and reinstalling.

I know it's an issue on Arlo side based on what I've been reading and wanted to know if anyone has had any luck resolving?? Like I said earlier, I was able to link Arlo to my Google home with no issues several months ago, but in last month or so, the link was removed and now I can't connect the two systems.

Any help is appreciated!

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Well, this is definitely "any" help. It is not for the exact same issue, but close, and perhaps you could try it. Delete your cameras from your Home, or Homes. Unlink you Arlo account from Google Home if it is there. Go to the Arlo app and rename your cameras. Try to link accounts and see if things begin to show up. 

Alfie64
Star
Star

Well  wish I could delete my cameras from my Google "home" but they don't exist there anymore. They disappeared I guess when Arlo did updates.

And as I mentioned I can't even link Arlo to Google so nothing there to unlonk. 🙂

I can try renaming things and see it that helps.

Thanks

Alfie64
Star
Star

UPDATE:

Changed names of camera, went to Google Home Assistant and tried to link Arlo. No luck. 😞

Gmctavish
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same issue. Linked camera once, streamed to my Chromecast once, stream was then lost. I unlinked my Arlo in Google Home, and I cannot re add it. I get the black bar error at the bottom of the add screen saying to check my connection. I have tried renaming camera, base station,... Nothing seems to work.
jtomey
Guide
Guide

I am still unable to connect arlo to google home.

any update from the technical team?  

QuebecUser
Initiate
Initiate

Just bought an Arlo Pro2 with 4 cameras. 

When I try to connect to Google Home, I get authorize the connection on oauth.arlo.com.

It then says Linking to your Arlo Account, then I get an error message at the bottom saying: Couldn't update the setting. Check your Connection. 

Pretty frustrating situation - looks like this has been an issue for over a month on this board.

Any update from Arlo Tech support on a potential fix? If not I'm going to return the Arlo Pro 2 before its too late. 

Asdirect
Guide
Guide

I have the same problem. My Arlo worked for about a day. I hate my Arlo,

wish I bought nest

Asdirect
Guide
Guide

I am having same exact problem

Alfie64
Star
Star

ARLO PLEASE GET THIS FIXED!  Google support has stated (when I did online chat) that the issue is on your end, not a Google issue.

QuebecUser
Initiate
Initiate
I returned my arlo system yesterday. Very disappointed. It's actually an excellent system as a stand alone unit, however the integration with google home was awful.

I bought a NEST indoor cam 3 pack, integration is excellent with both google home and Alexa.

Hopefully Arlo can clean up their integration story soon.
Alfie64
Star
Star

UGH!

Arlo finally updated their app and I got jazzed up that the supposed" bug fixes" fixed the Google Home link issue.

NOPE!!   Still broken.

COME ON ARLO, FIX THIS ISSUE!!!!

Scgoan
Aspirant
Aspirant
I successfully fixed this issue by using a different device. I used my tablet and it immediately linked.
Alfie64
Star
Star

I tried that trick early on. No luck at all. Same exact error.

jtomey
Guide
Guide
Update:

I’m not sure how or why, but when I was at work with my phone on a different WiFi, the adding of Arlo works perfectly in Google home.

I still have the conflict (seeing the cameras twice - which causes google hub to recognize either). when I added the SmartThings Hub to Google Home.

So for now, I am not integrating my Samsung Smart Hub with Google Home.
With arlo alone in ten google hour, I am able to see live video from my cameras on the Lenovo smart display.

However, none of my IFTTT is integrated. Like automatically displaying camera when motion is detected. That’s kind of the reason I got the display.
Alfie64
Star
Star

I was so excited to see Arlo app was being updated today. Sadly, the supposed "bug fixes" diidn't fix the broken Google Assistant link issue!!  ARGGGGGGGGGH!!!

COME ON ARLO, YOU KNOW YOU HAVE AN ISSUE...FIX IT!!

Alfie64
Star
Star

Attn: Arlo rep that I see posting on here.

Is anyone actually looking to fix the Google Home/Assistant linking issue or are you hoping people will just walk away and give up on this feature that used to work perfectly before you update your app and broke the process of linking to Google Home and Chromecasts?

JerryZ
Initiate
Initiate

Tried it tonight. Exactly the same issue. Very disappointed. 😞

Jbrown052861
Initiate
Initiate
I'm having the same issue. Anyone know the fix?
JeremyBatchelor
Initiate
Initiate

Having the above mentioned issues. I hate to sell this system and move on but it's been months and no reply. I get the feeling this is not important to the Arlo team. 

AndyPandy0612
Aspirant
Aspirant
I completely agree, am about to buy more cameras but the integration with Google Home simply doesn't work so those cameras won't be Arlo.
Ketchupmanden
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a problem When i tries to link my acoount to my google home app.

what i do: 

go to ADD NEW DEVICE and then ALREADY CONFIGURED DEVICES and then ARLO. Then my problem is first time i logged in perfect with my account(my account is a guest account with granted Access) then it says ARLO LINKED, but a few seconds after it Says COULDN’T CONNECT, TRY AGAIN, then i tried again and it didn’t send me to that login page, it was just saying ARLO LINKED and a few seconds after COULDN’T CONNECT, TRY AGAIN..

i dont get that login page. I dont know how many times i’ve tried. It works great with all the other account but NOT with arlo.

is it because it remembers the login information, because that is a very bad methot to use.

PLEASE HELP ME

EddselnDC
Initiate
Initiate
Something went Wrong First fall don't fall for Google/Nest BS, it is Google practice to create issues that cause slight compatibility problems like these that causes the public to steer away from the competition and towards their new nest acquisition. I have three Echo shows that I have been using with my Arlo system for almost a year now with no issues, I decided to jump on th google bandwagon and give the Lenovo smart displays a run for the money and love the assistants' power... two months later, I decided to make the switch an got two more hubs. compatibility was 100% with quick home control response and excellent voice recognition, then it all went downhill from there, First I had to replace my ring doorbell with a nest hello, when it Just stopped notifying after the google hubs received an update..the nest hello is nice tho. Fast forward two months later and now none of my five Arlo cameras work with any of the hubs in the den, bedroom or living room. I tried unlinking them but the google home app refuses to relink them , saying" something went wrong" Here's a clues to my next step, Google is not that much better than Echo for me to justify getting rid of 5 of the best cameras on the market... Alexa Discoverv Devices and Google Place an ad Hubs for sale./