Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

hoicju
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi. I have a problem integrating Smartthings and Arlo. I took a screen recording to show the problem: http://youtu.be/WscnGEcJos4. The biggest problem is that now Smarthings is not receiving information from the motion sensor in Arlo cameras and my automation no longer works.
8112EC25-8801-41AC-9AE7-4084E6E677AE.png
Best answers
  • Arlbroke
    Guide
    Guide

Mine started working yesterday.  I had to unlink and relink the Arlo account to Smartthings.  I also had to redo the smartlighting automations in Smartthings.

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you for providing your feedback, I have notified the Development team & we are working on a release for early next week. I will be sure to update you as soon as I hear more!

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you for your patience while we worked to resolve this issue. The issue with the Arlo SmartThings integration and not receiving alerts should now be resolved. You do not need to relink your devices, you should now be receiving your automation alerts.

464 REPLIES 464
JBKerner
Apprentice
Apprentice
If you can figure a way to escalate this, please share how you did it! I know for certain that Arlo Support personnel monitor this forum, and that's a good thing, but I doubt they monitor ALL of the forums!
JBKerner
Apprentice
Apprentice
I'm still getting responses from Support (42884360), but they're from entry-level techs, asking if the cameras are reporting push notifications. It's like they aren't reading or perhaps not fully understanding the problem.
Pmd99
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am getting tired of this not working as usual. I am trying to use Alexa to do the routines as previously mentioned (motion detected and between 6pm and 6am, then turn on lights, wait 1 min, turn off lights). Every looks programed correctly but it will not run the routine when motion is detected. I can run the routine manually which will turn on the lights and off in 1 min... however it's not automatically running when motion is detected. Go figure it's behaving exactly like it's doing in smartthings. Any advice. I just need something to work. IFTTT is not an option for me because I gave up on them a while back.
dmd4343
Aspirant
Aspirant
If you have SmartThings integrated with Alexa, you could be running into the same issue because Alexa is using ST to communicate with cameras which will result in the same issues. Look at the Arlo cam details in the Alexa app and see if it's connected via ST. You may need to link Arlo directly with Alexa to cut ST out of the equation. Hope this helps!
Pmd99
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for the reply. So I had both, alexa see duplicates, one directly from arlo, and one from ST integration. I guess I selected the wrong one (ST). I just played around and selected the other one which was directly from arlo. I notice that one one routine runs, is there a delay before it can run again? If I test the sensors again in a few minutes, it does not run again. I saw that there's an option to delay repeats but I left it empty.
JBKerner
Apprentice
Apprentice
Late last night (10pm, mst), I received this message from Arlo Support:

"We had received similar reports weeks ago. However, they got resolved by doing the following steps:

1. Deactivate/Remove the Arlo devices from SmartThings.

2. Uninstall the Arlo app.

3. Restart the phone.

4. Re-install the Arlo app.

5. Allow all permissions upon opening the newly installed Arlo app.

6. Check if the App version is updated by going into the app Settings, then About. The latest iOS app version is 3.5.12, while 3.5.10 for Android.

**Note: Make sure notifications permission is on for the Arlo app on your phone settings.

7. Re-add your Arlo devices into SmartThings."

So, Arlo thinks this issue is resolved! I told him that I followed those exact steps, and it it NOT resolved.
ChadofCNC
Apprentice
Apprentice
In Alexa you need to link to Arlo directly. Then setup the routines with the Arlo cameras that have a camera icon IE from Arlo. If you just use the Camera that has like a switch icon IE from ST it won’t work as ST is not getting the motion alerts. That’s how I got mine working again.
BxBillBx
Star
Star
That's funny since that version of the app was released back on December 1st.
I did get a reply on Twitter stating that they are working on the problem. What that actually means is absolutely nothing.
ChadofCNC
Apprentice
Apprentice
@Arlo support. This does not fix the problem. In fact some people on this forum can’t even reintegrate their devices. Just fix this already.
Wilburdoo
Guide
Guide
I've been going back and forth with Arlo since the new year rang in. Same questions as others have posted. The Alexa routines in the meantime has worked. After today's request for more information on my devices, I tried re-linking Arlo to Smartthings and had a successful first attempt. Motion alerts are for the time being making it to Smartthings and activating lights. Shall wait and see if it persists through the night. All I've done is re-link. The app removal and settings has nothing to do with the cloud integration.
JBKerner
Apprentice
Apprentice
That's kind of what I suspected, all along: Sometime in late November, Arlo somehow broke the integration. That's been the crux of the problem ever since. It's not related to the app, or our mobile device, internet speed, internet carrier, or stuff plugged into our router and switches (a few of the things they recently asked me.)
JBKerner
Apprentice
Apprentice
I checked mine late last night; still not working. If I have a few hours to kill later today, I'll try removing & re-integrating Arlo with ST, but it seems like a waste of time. My guess is, nine of the Atlo support techs or administrators will report on here when it's fixed. As far as any of them are concerned, it was fixed "weeks ago".
Wilburdoo
Guide
Guide
The slim hopes that it was fixed are gone. Motion alerts stopped being passed from Arlo to Smartthings at 8AM central time.
BrickedBrain
Tutor
Tutor
I loathe calling into support lines because I know what you will typically get. However I just got off the phone with Arlo support, and boy oh boy it’s worse than I thought, it took the better part of 30 minutes just to convince him that I don’t have troubles with the cameras or the app, just the cloud to cloud integration with Smartthings. He seemed to be unaware that they ever worked with smart things, hell, he didn’t seem aware that they work with Alexa. Basically what I gleaned from this that I need to cancel my subscription and go with another solution. It’s been a good 2 and half year run arlo. I was excited to see you announce your home security suite at CES2022. But I just bought a ring security bundle last night and will probably look for some more ring cameras. At least ring works.
g-spot
Tutor
Tutor

Let me know how your experience with Ring goes.  I’ll be looking for another solution, as well, if this cannot be fixed sometime soon.

Capsel22
Aspirant
Aspirant
Does the battery powered ring cameras work in ST? The battery doorbell doesn't
paulmike3
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have Ring integrated into SmartThings (like Arlo used to do until recently) and it works flawlessly. Cameras trigger motion events and do ST automations during certain hours I want them. For what it's worth, the camera takes a couple of seconds to view the feed in ST app, vs 15-20 seconds for Arlo cams.

Capsel22
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks. And sorry just to clarify, that's the better powered cameras not mains?
I might switch out of Arlo, I was already upset when they changed the integration so that the SHM modes didn't sync and had to rethink everything, there were at least 3 motion related issues where they forgot to update or amend or test with very very poor customer service and transparency
Dmarz
Aspirant
Aspirant

TBH, although I am not an Arlo subscriber, I am slowly moving away from arlo for many reason, of which this has been added as a primary issue - integration. It's unfortunate, but at this point I am tired of any technology company assuming that how they approach development is the only way.  As a client (and an old guy), the client defines the service that is created/delivered, not the other way around. It's great that they have create a "smart home" group that will look at how to standardize, but unfortunately they struggle with getting their "marketed" partnerships solid. Just my 2cents 😉

Pmd99
Aspirant
Aspirant
I got 9 arlo pro 2 cameras on 2 base systems back when they had 1 week of cloud service for free before they moved to a paid for service only with the newer system. I just do not want to pay monthly. So many times I wish I just forked out the cash for a ring system since the initial investment for ring cameras are just cheaper but I figure higher cost in the long run. Arlo has been such a headache and if it's not one thing, it's something else that is broken in ST integration. Smart home is cool when it's working flawless, a pain in the rear when cloud integration breaks down. I just wish they allowed for a local solution.... especially for ST. I understand Edge is suppose to be that for ST but that will require manufactures like arlo to build the device handlers which I do not see will happen anytime soon.
Irelandhouse
Star
Star

Shayne

It's been a week since you announced that the issue had been identified.  When can we expect a solution?

Wilburdoo
Guide
Guide
Kinda hard not to chuckle at the persistent request for information on my devices and network topology. Now they even want a speed test....a. Internet Service provider (ISP)(indicate if Cable, DSL, or T1 connection):

b. Modem brand/model:

c. Router brand/model:

d. Note use of Extenders (if any) - (Must include model number):

5. Please run a speed test using speedtest.net. Connect the device to the 2.4 GHz WiFi network. Cellular/Mobile data and VPN should be off before running a speed test. Provide a screenshot of the result.....
Wilburdoo
Guide
Guide
I followed up on my Smartthings support ticket just to see if they've heard anything from Arlo. Interestingly I got a response saying that it's actually a Smartthings issue. Who knows how long it will take to fix this now....they first said it was an Arlo problem. "We are so sorry you are experiencing issues with SmartThings. This is related to an issue on our end and we are currently working hard to resolve this as soon as we can."
hoicju
Apprentice
Apprentice
"I am still waiting for the information from the concerned engineers. They are still looking for the root cause and may take time. I will give you an update once I get news from them." response from support .

@Wilburdoo, Smartthings app constantly logging out of SAMSUNG account and updates the status of devices in the app very badly. So there may be a problem on the SmartThings side, as many have thought since the beginning of this thread.
JohnT4423
Guide
Guide
I have created a support ticket with SmartThings. Will see how it goes with them.. At least you can create a ticket with them!