Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
RobMo150
Apprentice
Apprentice

I had this working for a couple of years where I've integrated a driveway sensor to a open/close ST's sensor.   When someone came down the driveway, it triggered the open/close sensor which in turn fired off a custom rule in ST to start 2 cameras recording for 1 minute.    Worked great  UNTIL 2 weeks ago.   No changes were made by me.  I don't know of ST or Arlo updated anything.    I've restarted, rebuilt, deleted rules, added new rules, nothing.   I can see in the ST app for the camera that a "sent Capture Command to porch camera" was sent.   But the camera doesn't do anything.   I've had it in disabled mode, ST mode, armed (on arlo).    Was there an update from either company that might have screwed up this integration?   I can manually trigger the camera in ST to record, but not by a rule.    This really stinks because this was a great security feature.   If I can't find a solution I'll have to rethink my whole setup.     Thanks for any advice.    I did search and went thru this thread just to make sure I didn't miss anyting.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/Record-without-motion-Smartthings-Arlo/m-p/1531162#M50207

295 REPLIES 295
gabrielst
Guide
Guide

Hey @Hoboryan , I'm not sure if I got your workaround. In this solution, Arlo will record on sensor's triggering?

Hoboryan
Tutor
Tutor
The Arlo camera is itself a sensor. Alternatively you could have ST trigger the recording. The key is to have Arlo do the mode changing.

In my example, I used to put Arlo permanently in a mode called SmartThings, which will always record on motion. I had used ST hub to turn the cameras on and off (while Arlo is still in SmartThings mode). I believe that the act of turning the cameras on and off made Arlo stop sensing motion. Instead, I have Arlo on a schedule to switch to SmartThings mode after ST itself had turned the cameras on.
Gron
Guide
Guide
yeah, that is not the issue that this thread is having. Smartthings is not triggering record anymore neither is IFTTT. that function stopped working in August and is the problem. basically Arli is not playing nice with external triggers
jefftb
Tutor
Tutor

Looks like the VMB4000 didn't get a firmware update when they said it would. Any new forecast (hell freezes over?)

RobMo150
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well shocking as this might sound, Arlo lied and didn't update the 4000.   In fact they have now gone dark on any communication with me.   They lied and said it was fixed and coming out prior to Christmas.   When that failed to happen, they no longer respond to any requests for information.   SO you all need to keep pounding on them.   Call daily and request an updated base station to at least 4500. (I worked with both 4500 and 5000 over the last month and both work).   So it's purely Arlo doesn't give a about it's existing customers that spent money.   They expect you to just spend more money to buy a fix to something they broke.   @ShayneS  you are the moderator - can you do anything to help this frustrated group of customers?   

jefftb
Tutor
Tutor

This may be the last straw. I was holding out for this one last chance of a fix. I am going to start shopping some other cameras and sell my Arlos on eBay unless @ShayneS can convince me otherwise.

What is the best # to call and case to reference to voice my displeasure?

RobMo150
Apprentice
Apprentice

Live chat and phone go to support page here

Facebook Arlo Smart Home, twitter @ArloSmartHome  

Update reviews at Amazon, Best Buy, google, yelp, any place you shop.  

respond to any tweets, FB posts, anytime you can post your dissatisfaction with their lack of quality care for the customers.

Demand an upgraded base to 4500 or 5000.   

Truly a dumb move on Arlo's part to piss off people that are more tech savvy than normal users.   We bought to integrate with other technologies.   But Arlo doesn't seem to care.   Hopefully the company that buys them in bankruptcy in the near future will do better.    

TBacon
Star
Star

I reached out to both ARLO and Smartthings on this issue. 

After 1 hour with the ARLO customer service rep named "Ford", I accomplished nothing.  Case #41364201. He wanted to troubleshoot the hardware.  I kept telling him that it is a software issue due to the ARLO firmware update.  A box of rocks would have been more helpful.  I tried many times to get him to find out about the next firmware update, but he said he wasn't aware of one.  He was not getting to the problem and refused to send me to a manager for help.  I've never been more frustrated talking to customer service than I was talking with Ford.

I reached out to Smartthings following that call.  I spoke to someone there named Cheryl.  She knew IMMEDIATELY about the issue and detailed out everything everyone has said on this post.  They noted it as being a firmware push by ARLO that removed the "RECORD" integration with other devices to trigger ARLO.  Call lasted all of 1 minute.  That was detailed and expected customer service.

TBacon
Star
Star

When will the next firmware be released for the VMB4000 to fix integration with Smartthings?

The release notes for firmware version 1.14.1.2_2916_1fdeefd was irrelevant.  "Bug fixes" means nothing.  See this thread.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Where-are-the-release-notes-for-VMB-4000-Base-Station-Firmwar...

We need the integration with Smartthings to record when 3rd party device triggers a routine.  This is an issue with the August/September firmware updates and not corrected with the current firmware release.  You can no longer use the tag "Works with Smartthings" as long as this feature remains unresolved.  It MUST be fixed urgently or customers will start returning product bought on the premise that it will "Record" when integrated Smartthings.

TBacon
Star
Star

Can anyone confirm that the VMB4500 now works correctly in Smartthings?  Can you get it to record using another device as a trigger?

I have the VMB4000 base and need to know if other bases work and people can confirm the integration with Smartthings.

RobMo150
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes I have the 4500 and the 5000 and I can trigger the camera to record with a SmartThings motion or open/close sensor.   It works like expected.   It's only the 4000 that's broke from what I know.    I got Arlo to replace my 4000 with a 5000.   Then I tested it and gave them feedback on it.   I also got a hold of a 4500 base that I installed this weekend for my daughter and it works with SmartThings as well.    

I also sent many messages to arlo today.    I did hear back a few minutes ago.   The response is "it is slated sometime after the holidays but no definite date yet".   So there ya go!   But for the last month or so, I've been pounding on social media and their support because there are so many of you all still stuck waiting.   So don't give up, keep posting, logging points, calling.  Demand a replacement, go up the chain.   I made it to level 3, course I don't know if they ultimately have 50 levels.  :).   Good luck.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

I've been following this thread with great interest.
This exact same thing happened last year when smartthings integration with Arlo was messed up after a firmware update. Arlo fixed it in late Jan because they were too busy releasing the Arlo Ultra to present at CES.
I did however order a 4500 basestation. What a pile that is. The siren on the 4500 is pathetic. Nowhere near loud enough compared to the 4000 so I sent it back.
Arlo need to pull their finger out.
So do smartthings actually. The fact that only smartthings have released one camera is ridiculous. Even then it's an indoor camera and available in the US only. Why there isn't further integration with other cameras is beyond me!
The rage is to integrate with Google and Alexa but their solutions are nowhere near mature enough.
Can't wait to get shot of Arlo. God knows what Verisure will do with Arlo in Europe!

rdmickey
Tutor
Tutor

We have watched this thread as well as the IFTTT thread since the same firmware broke both. We have had a case for awhile, in which we asked yesterday for an update and asked on Facebook as well.  Silence is all we have gotten. In our request for an update to the case, we asked in the email since our case was created before warranty expired, would we get a base or cameras that will work? We didn’t break it, they did. 

BokehWarrior
Tutor
Tutor
I opened my own case but referenced the findings in this thread. Support had me troubleshoot of course and ultimately collected my setup information and said they would "escalate" the issue.

I expect radio silence from here on end. I also requested an exchange to a new base station, but doubt I'll get that lucky.
laniocarvalho
Star
Star

Hey All, 

Just noticed a couple of recordings in my library and I had not changed any setting... so not sure if the issue is fixed... (though i did not push a firmware to the cams) so can someone please check and confirm if it is now working?

rdmickey
Tutor
Tutor
I cannot confirm with Smartthings.
However.
IFTTT which broke at the same time as Smarthibgs are functioning as of at least 3:50am EST.

Whohoo
laniocarvalho
Star
Star

My trigger is a Smartthings multi purpose sensor via IFTTT that triggers the recording when the sensor is open.. so guess the issue is fixed then!

Hoboryan
Tutor
Tutor

Firmware version on my base station says: 1.15.0.1_3162_d878851

I think the prior one was 1.14?? Looks like it's updated.

laniocarvalho
Star
Star
Mine says the same too... so does look like its updated...
DaWeav
Guide
Guide

Yes, it was 1.14. I'm showing 1.15 as well on my 4000 Base. Using the old SmartThings Classic app, recording using other motion sensors now works again.

Now have to figure out if this feature can be supported in the new SmartThings Connect app. The connect app so far just shows the video can be seen in the Arlo app, but there's no way to trigger the recording from another sensor like the old Classic app.

Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary
Yep i can confirm recording is working for me as well. My test app seems to be recording everytime it is triggered.

I would suggest you go do a search in the smartthings forums. There are methods available that will work in the new app.
Retired_Member
Not applicable
Yep, recordings are working now for me as well. Using the VMB4000 basestation and smartthings classic app custom rules in SHM.
Harsh108
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey, Guys, for some reason mine is still not recording. I am thinking about resetting everything. Since, this started when I was trying to work on SHMDelay module. I thought it was the cause of my arlo not recording. But it's still having difficult time recording or even live streaming in my SmartThings App. Anyone knows how to reset everything and add arlo again. I have removed arlo and added again. 

-Harsh108

KiethKok
Aspirant
Aspirant

Mine is still stuck with the old firmware 1.14 with the app saying “no updates available”. Hopefully, I will see the new firmware push soon.

RLKetterman
Guide
Guide

Well.....

I guess I'm 1/2 way there.  I have 2 systems using the VMB4000 Base Station.  Today they both got the Firmware Update.

The 1st System updated and everything is working as it did in the past.  That's wonderful.

However, my 2nd System is stuck saying "A firmware update is required for your Base Station and Camera."  "Update Base Station"  When I click Update, it fails out with error "Base_Station_Error_4403"   I tried remotely rebooting the Base Station several times, but still can't update.  Unfortunately, this System is at my secondary home, over 4 hours away.

Any thoughts ?