Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
RobMo150
Apprentice
Apprentice

I had this working for a couple of years where I've integrated a driveway sensor to a open/close ST's sensor.   When someone came down the driveway, it triggered the open/close sensor which in turn fired off a custom rule in ST to start 2 cameras recording for 1 minute.    Worked great  UNTIL 2 weeks ago.   No changes were made by me.  I don't know of ST or Arlo updated anything.    I've restarted, rebuilt, deleted rules, added new rules, nothing.   I can see in the ST app for the camera that a "sent Capture Command to porch camera" was sent.   But the camera doesn't do anything.   I've had it in disabled mode, ST mode, armed (on arlo).    Was there an update from either company that might have screwed up this integration?   I can manually trigger the camera in ST to record, but not by a rule.    This really stinks because this was a great security feature.   If I can't find a solution I'll have to rethink my whole setup.     Thanks for any advice.    I did search and went thru this thread just to make sure I didn't miss anyting.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/Record-without-motion-Smartthings-Arlo/m-p/1531162#M50207

295 REPLIES 295
Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary
https://youtu.be/Hf7Ek0W3hFY is the link to the youtube video
RobMo150
Apprentice
Apprentice

I had a call with Hyazenth from social media customer care.   She was actually nice.   I now have another case number open.  She mentioned level 3 escalation.    She is the first person I think that actually understood why this is important to fix.  

I’m  asking everyone to continue to post comments on FB,  tweet to arlo smart home, and call.  She said she would update me next week.   I hope so, but I’m not holding my breath.    Keep making noise please!

Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary
Has anyone tried using either of the new hubs with the Pro2 cameras. I dont really wouldn't expect it to work, but seems worth checking since the 3500 base has been reported to work.
DaWeav
Guide
Guide

Scenario 1) In SmartThings Smart Home Monitor, I set a SmartThings Motion sensor to trigger a recording from an Arlo camera, but it 'DOES NOT' show a video in the Smart Home Monitor's history which is the same as everyone here, does not work at all.

Scenario 2) In SmartThings Smart Home Monitor, I set an the Alro camera motion sensor to trigger a recording from the same Arlo camera, and it 'DOES' show a video in the Smart Home Monitor's history. However, it only records for about 20 seconds or so and not the 2 minutes clip length I selected so this almost works as setup, and most importantly, there is a video in SmartThings Smart Home Monitor history.

Since it works one way, then maybe its something with the new Arlo split off from Netgear. If Arlo changed backend servers, then they may not be allowing SmartThings (Samsung's servers) to initiate the connection to their Arlo servers. Since it does record something when motion is triggered from the Arlo camera when Arlo sends the motion detected signal to SmartThings and SmartThings responds to record a video there is two way communications. However, when motion is triggered from a SmartThings sensor, then SmartThings is initiating the connection to the Arlo servers which may not be getting there so it cannot be processed at all. Because Arlo has no logging feature that we can see, who knows if Arlo is even receiving the request from SmartThings to record something.

RobMo150
Apprentice
Apprentice
DaWeav interesting info. I think we all still point to the aug 39th Arlo firmware update as the break point. Be sure to call support and tweet Arlo Smart Home and FAcebook Arlo Smart Home with your dissatisfaction with the lack of support.
I’m supposed to get an update this week.
RobMo150
Apprentice
Apprentice

I had a follow up call from Hyazenth in social media customer care.    She called to say that the issue has been escalated to the level 3 team.   She stated that they have assign a team to work on the problem.     So far this is the best service I’ve seen from arlo.    

jefftb
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you for your diligence in getting a resolution for all of us!

rscott09
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for the update Rob.

Mdterps
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hello Mavrrick. I tried my Pro2 this morning with a smartthings motion sensor trigger and my 30 second recording worked. I was using the vmb5000r4 SmartHub.
RLKetterman
Guide
Guide

I also have had a similar problem which was was working for a year.    I have my Pro 2 Camera (Front Porch) set to record detected motion.  When someone walks up on the Front Porch, the Camera Records in the Arlo App. and then it send a "Motion Detected" to ST  to run an Automation to  Turn On the Porch Light.  This all worked great  UNTIL 2 or 3 weeks ago.   No changes were made by me.  I don't know of ST or Arlo updated anything.   I also noted that ST has nothing for the past 2 or 3 weeks in the Activity Log for any of my Cameras.

RobMo150
Apprentice
Apprentice
Progress!

Message from Arlo support team

I just wanted to let you know that our level 3 technical support has reached out to SmartThings to do some testing. No ETA on a solution yet but they are doing troubleshooting.
laniocarvalho
Star
Star

This is the best news we have had so far from Arlo... Thanks for the update RobMo...

looks like there is some hope of the tunnel... thought the tunnel is looking like a very long one!

SurfTek
Aspirant
Aspirant

First thanks to everyone for posting on this topic. I called support for help and they acted like what I was describing was the first time they were hearing it. Case# 41247147. I have the same issues as everyone else with ST not triggering recordings with Arlo Pro cameras, as well as (using new app) the Arlo App auto-magically setting the mode to disarmed constantly. I had this working for years prior to this firmware update. I did purchase a 3500 base station off amazon, as another user reported that to work. It being $60 was a better option than the 5000 at $148. I can confirm that my cameras are working as intended again with the 3500 base station. One new problem looks to be instead of the mode randomly changing to disarmed. When my Smart home monitor in ST detects an intrusion/alarm trips, within the arlo app it sets the mode to armed. At least the cameras record properly and the clips can be seen in the ST app. But I have to manually change the mode back to the ST mode to get it to function properly again after the alarm is cleared. Actually never mind... it appears to randomly set the mode to armed and not remain in ST mode.  Another downside is the 3500 base station does not have a siren like the 4000. So not a replacement or one for one fix by any means.  I hope the 4000's get a fix or roll back soon, or I will be ditching Arlo completely.  I only got Arlo because of the ST integration and I imagine that I'm not alone.

Charbo26
Aspirant
Aspirant
@SurfTek thanks for the additional comments on the 3500 base and confirmation it works on your end too. I have arlo set to disarmed since I do not want my cameras to record based on camera motion along with the external motion sensors. It sounds like on your end you have it set to smartthings but when triggered it switches to armed which is odd. Another note on the 3500 is that it has no USB port to save recordings locally to a hard drive. I didn't like to giving an Arlo an extra $60 by buying a new one through Amazon either but just so others know it looks like there are some on eBay as well for cheaper.
EirikHuse
Guide
Guide

Is it only the 4000 base that does not work with Smartthings? Someone who has  the same problem with the 4500 base?

ddorten
Star
Star

I can verify it doesn't work any longer on the 4000.

Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary

A new Firmware just hit. I have been testing it out this morning. I still can't seem to get the recordings from Smartthings to work. I did notice some differences is what was working between the legacy smartthings platform and new new one. I went through he exercise of clearing out everything and re-linking my account. It still isn't working.

I can also confirm that the Arlo Q cameras seem to continue to work fine. This probably seems to be centered around the VMB4000 Hub, which is a same because it is likely the best hub before going to a 4k capable system.

ddorten
Star
Star

Thanks for the update. Do you have the latest firmware number? My hub shows:

“1.14.1.2_2916_1fdeefd” and it says there are no updates. Same problems here!

RLKetterman
Guide
Guide

Mavrrick,

Yes.  I followed all the suggestion so far that Arlo and Smartthings suggested, buy removing all ties between Arlo and Smartthings, and starting all over.

Still having issues. 

My issue is that Smartthings is NOT getting any Motion Notifications from Arlo any longer, as well.

There is nothing in the Activity Log under each camera,  Without this notification, my automatons set to trigger by Camera Motion is NOT working.

All of this worked BEFORE  !!

Something has changed on either Arlo or Smartthings than when I originally installed the system.

Rick

Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary
Yes. I checked that prior to testing. I am tempted to go up to BB just to pick a kit with the 4500 and 4540 hubs just for testing to know for sure what works and what doesn't.
Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary
Rick, make sure the mode is configured right for motion detection. Also make sure Smartthings isn't kicking you into disarmed mode randomly. That is what started to me after i cleared up some other stuff.
RLKetterman
Guide
Guide

No,  

My Cameras have No Problem staying in the Armed Mode. 

I think the problem is that I have 2 Sites (2 locations in different states).

On Smartthings, and Arlo, I have both Sites Using 1 Logon Email (credentials)

When I sent up st site, and verify my Arlo Logon Credentials, it works fine.

When I set up the 2nd site, and verify my Arlo Logon Credentials, it works fine.

However, then the 1st Site NO LONGER works.

Its like Arlo can NOT handle a second Logon using the Same Credentials, and cancels out the other.

I have verified this switching of working sites by starting over at each sire 6 times.

One work, then the other wont.

When I purchased the Smart Premier Package, for my 8 Cameras total, with 2 Hubs, Arlo said that I don't have to have separate accounts for each site, but I'm thinking that is wrong.

RLKetterman
Guide
Guide

Yes.

My Hub Shows:  1.14.1.2_2916_1fdeefd

Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary
I would tend to agree with you. What you may want to do though is setup a seperate account with shared access to your main one. Then use the shared account to connect with smartthings. I do remember some flakiness when i was doing some testing with a location on my shield and my regular hub.
RLKetterman
Guide
Guide

If I set up an additional account for the second site, and share or link the 2 sites to the main account, do you know if I have to purchase another Smart Premier Package.

Each site have 4 Cameras, which is currently covered by 1 Smart Premier Package.