Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
RobMo150
Apprentice
Apprentice

I had this working for a couple of years where I've integrated a driveway sensor to a open/close ST's sensor.   When someone came down the driveway, it triggered the open/close sensor which in turn fired off a custom rule in ST to start 2 cameras recording for 1 minute.    Worked great  UNTIL 2 weeks ago.   No changes were made by me.  I don't know of ST or Arlo updated anything.    I've restarted, rebuilt, deleted rules, added new rules, nothing.   I can see in the ST app for the camera that a "sent Capture Command to porch camera" was sent.   But the camera doesn't do anything.   I've had it in disabled mode, ST mode, armed (on arlo).    Was there an update from either company that might have screwed up this integration?   I can manually trigger the camera in ST to record, but not by a rule.    This really stinks because this was a great security feature.   If I can't find a solution I'll have to rethink my whole setup.     Thanks for any advice.    I did search and went thru this thread just to make sure I didn't miss anyting.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/Record-without-motion-Smartthings-Arlo/m-p/1531162#M50207

295 REPLIES 295
Cerberus2
Aspirant
Aspirant

test

macmus
Guide
Guide

how to activate this CSR subscription ?

RayW1
Aspirant
Aspirant

which smartthings app are you referencing? I have the latest version and I don't see any of the options you refer too. can anyone help me set all arlo pro 2 cameras to record when any one of my sensors detect motion (lights, cameras, doorbells, etc.) I'm trying to record all cameras for a short time when any motion is detected from any sensor. I have arlo app and smartthings app (not classic)

Mdterps
Apprentice
Apprentice
Do you have the regular smartthings or the adt smartthings?
RayW1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the latest smartthings app (not classic, not ADT)

Mdterps
Apprentice
Apprentice
If you aren’t able to setup the record rule in SmartThings Home Monitor, one option is to trigger the recording via ifttt. I know some people are having trouble with ifttt recordings, however, mine are working well again. You basically add both accounts to ifttt and then select the smartthings device as the trigger and the arlo camera as the record action.
Charbo26
Aspirant
Aspirant
@Mdterps for whatever it's worth I just tried setting up ifttt and I'm still not getting any recordings. Curious what Arlo base you have, is it the 4000?
Mdterps
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have both the 5000 (SmartHub) and the 4000. It was working recently on the 4000, however, I just checked it tonight and now it’s not working again. It is working on the SmartHub. Not sure why it would work on one base station but not the other....
mike_pace
Tutor
Tutor

Hello.  Did you ever get any answers on this?  I have the exact same issue.  It was working, then not.  And nothing I do fixes it.  And I know if I call Arlo they are going to have me do stupid stuff like "remove the batteries and reinstall them" in every camera, even though I tell them that I have already done that.  Please let me know if you have found out anything. Thanks.

RayW1
Aspirant
Aspirant
I downloaded the classic SmartThings app and it actually has the options to record all your cameras from any motion sensor but when I did it and finished it it came up and said there was an error try again and I found that's a common problem to so the new SmartThings app just has the option to turn your camera on which mine are plugged in so I don't need that I need to be able to tell them to record and it doesn't seem to be doing
rscott09
Apprentice
Apprentice

FYI. My Arlo case file was just closed by the Arlo Rep because he said he hasn’t heard any updates from me on this problem. Arlo never acknowledged receiving the debug info that I sent to them earlier this week that shows the communication between Arlo and the SmartThings Arlo Connect Device Driver. This is really bad customer service for all of us that have invested lots of money in their product.  I just can’t seem to get the right technical support person to understand our problem.  So frustrating.

Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary
So I got a reaponse fron support for an update and it isn't good. Simply put they said to call smartthings. They dont have a problem and the integration is manages by them. This follows whay ShaneS has said here.

So it looks like they are passing the buck and not willing to continue support us to get this resolved. I guess i will open up that ticket, but don't have high hopes. If they cant seem to work together to get this fixed then i dont see how it can be resolved. I guess all of my recomendations are gone at this point
Gron
Guide
Guide

I have just resubmitted a ticket pointing them to this page... IFTTT and Smartthings cannot trigger record.

That is an Arlo bug.

dddarren
Tutor
Tutor
Just spoke to support in live chat... seems to be different story for different people... I got an acknowledgement of an issue...

“This issue is still not fixed and the engineering team is still working for the firmware fix of this issue. We will be informing you as soon as we get a fixed update for this issue. I will be leaving this case open and I apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused to you.”

I asked for an ETA and got this...
“ Unfortunately, we are still not given the estimated time of fix. I will just send you an email once it is fixed.”

I’m not holding my breath in the slightest but at least an acknowledgement is something to hold them to... i might try chasing them every week or so.
rscott09
Apprentice
Apprentice

That’s encouraging, thanks for the update.

Gron
Guide
Guide

Thank you for the info!

mike_pace
Tutor
Tutor

This is the exact same set of circumstances I went through about a year ago. ST record triggers quit working after an Arlo firmware update. It took several calls and a lot of my time to finally get to someone who told me there was an issue that they knew about, and were working on a new firmware update to fix it. I believe the new firmware date was 011919.  The firmware update that started the whole mess was just before Thanksgiving.  This means we can probably expect about a two month period of our home monitoring systems not functioning correctly.  I sure hope crooks and criminals don’t figure this out.  

Mistersandman
Tutor
Tutor
Thankfully I got mine from Costco so I can return it if at any time I am unsatisfied. This sure sounds like a valid reason. If this isn’t fixed soon it’s going back.
Charbo26
Aspirant
Aspirant
Well everyone, I got something to work. I figured I would buy a 3500 base and see if the smartthings would trigger a recording and they do!

I bought a 3500 base off Amazon (can buy them for 1/2 price on eBay). I disconnected both my cameras then disconnected my 4000 base. I then connected the new 3500 base (it performed a firmware update) and reconnected the cameras in Arlo app. I went into the smartthings app and made sure the cameras were still associated correctly in smart home monitor (I'm using legacy smartthings app not new one). My Arlo base is in the disarmed mode as it was before we had this issue. Took about 15 minutes to set everything up but since connecting the 3500 base smartthings has been triggering recordings from external motion sensors (non Arlo) and the recordings show up in Arlo app!

Pathetic I even had to do this, waste of $60. I think this further proves this is a 4000 base firmware issue. Hopefully Arlo team will take note and figure it out for the rest of you. I will probably keep this setup until they either screw up this firmware or fix the 4000 firmware.

Also note, I do have the Arlo smart premier trial activated currently. Not sure if this matters but wanted to at least state it.
rscott09
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks Charbo26 for the info.  Glad to see that you got it working on a 3500 base.  

mike_pace
Tutor
Tutor

Now that you mention it, I do have two cameras that will respond to a ST trigger, and they are both on a 3500r4 hub. I have to other cameras of the same vintage on that hub (wire-free) and a new Pro2 which do not respond to the triggers. All of my cameras on the 3010r2 hub do not respond either. I’ll have to investigate this further. 

RobMo150
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ShayneS  - we are not getting answers on support, just the "they are working on it".   Do you work for ARLO?   If so, we need a release date of when it's coming out in a fix.    This BS that it's being worked on doesn't cut it.   This is BROKEN EXISTING FUNCTIONALITY.    I'm a 30 year software engineer/exec for a large software company.    I know how the process works.   I can promise you that it's not even on the engineering radar at this point.    So we need this escalated ASAP.         Need a firmware rollback, or new fix release, or send us free version of base that does work.   Some are reporting the 3500 works.    I don't know if that works for a pro 2 or not.    

If we don't get answers soon, I will challenge each and every one posting on here to put reviews on every site possible and let possible new customers know to shop elsewhere.     These cost way too much to have this kind of treatment and BS.    I get it, **bleep** happens and software breaks.   OWN IT, and fix it,.      It's not that hard.  

isuat960
Guide
Guide
Agree. 6 weeks in, it's not being worked by anyone and likely listed as a Sev 4. I will do exactly as you suggest with negative reviews if we continue to be given this treatment. I will also say this is a reflection on NetGear as well and I will likely not purchase Netgear products in the future.
curh
Star
Star

Im having this issue with an Arlo, 2 Pros and a Pro 2.  It follows basic rules if I set them in Arlo, but nothing from ST through either the direct integration or the Arlo Assistant.  Both of these had worked fine for years.

BokehWarrior
Tutor
Tutor
Sadly, Netgear no longer backs Arlo. Arlo is a seperate entity now.