Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Arlo Pro 3 and SmartThings

Discussion stats
Highlighted
Luminary
Luminary
You can do this now a few ways depending on what version of the security Smart you are running for the Pro 2 cameras. Is it the one installed from the classic app or the new app.

For Pro 3 cameras there is no way to interact with them from Smartthings. Arlo hasn't added the Pro3, ultra, either doorbells to the integration yet. Until they do that Smartthings is completely unaware of them.
Highlighted
Initiate
Initiate
It’s taking FOREVER for Arlo 3 to work with SmartThings!!! I want to create automations between my Arlo 3 Cameras and Smarthings light bulbs. I did it with Arlo 2 cameras and it worked perfectly. Cmon Arlo get Arlo 3 connected to Smarthings. Being in IT myself I can’t imagine this to be that difficult.
Model: VMB4540 | Arlo Pro 3 SmartHub
Highlighted
Initiate
Initiate
I purchased the Pro 3 with the intent of working with SmartThings. I am extremely disappointed in Arlo and Samsung not integrating. Can a moderator give us guidance on when this work will occur?
Model: VMB4540 | Arlo Pro 3 SmartHub
Highlighted
Star
Star
That would be great if someone with Arlo would actually step in and help set some expectations around the integration with Samsung SmartThings.
Model: VMC4040P | Arlo Pro 3 Wire-Free Camera
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

It’s a goal of Arlo’s to make as many cameras compatible with these integrations as we can but we don’t have an announcement to make regarding Arlo Pro 3 compatibility with SmartThings at this time.

JamesC

Highlighted
Star
Star
JamesC,
Thanks for the response. Does Arlo realize they are loosing fairly a large base of integrators that had worked with your cameras in the past, we are having to recommend other cameras moving forward.

Thanks
Shawn
Highlighted
Initiate
Initiate
It’s ridiculous how long this is taking. Since Arlo 2 has integration with Smart Things its a no brainer to make Arlo 3 compatible. This needs to be escalated to VPs at Arlo. Obviously the Product Team has no clue as to the value they are leaving on the table. I purchased other cameras. Arlo is losing revenue to other camera companies. Ancient tech...
Highlighted
Guide
Guide

It’s pretty obvious that Arlo has no intention of integrating their products with SmartThings moving forward.  After a substantial investment in Arlo products I’ve had to move on to other options for my customers. 

Highlighted
Star
Star
What other camera vendors have people moved to for integration with Samsung SmartThings ?
Highlighted
Luminary
Luminary
Honestly there aren't really any good official options. Officially I think it is just Arlo and the Smartthings camera. Nest may have some support, but it isn't officially supported by Smartthings. If you are dead set on having support in Smartthings i would suggest you look at their official camera. I have in a way given up on that.

There are also options like using RSTP cameras with Blue iris as a NVR. This just takes you down a much more involved path as you would be managing your own infrastructure to run it. It is a big difference from a Arlo setup, and honestly I wouldn't expect most here to want to go that route. Would be much better video quality though as the video wouldn't be over compressed like arlo does.
Highlighted
Initiate
Initiate
Arlo has such a chance to grow market share if they are connected to the SmartThings Hub community. With the Wink hub heading for end of life, the home automation consumer market is going to SmartThings (feels like VHS tape all over again). A smart camera hub like Arlo wins when you can get all of your other house smart devices to react to Arlo actions. Please have your management look into the growth if you are the best option to the entire SmartThings community. Samsung will never catch up to your capabilities, if you are the option for the consumers to go to. Integrating to SmartThings makes you stronger in the market long term!
Model: VMB4540 | Arlo Pro 3 SmartHub, VMC4040P | Arlo Pro 3 Wire-Free Camera
Highlighted
Tutor
Tutor

I've had an Arlo system integrated with Smartthings for a few months and have been fairly happy with it.  Had an opportunity to purchase a Pro 3 add-on camera fairly cheap, so I did.   Got it added to the Arlo base station with no problem, and just discovered that it won't connect to Smartthings. 

What a joke.   Keeping Arlo and paying for a monthly cloud service charge is becoming less and less attractive.  After many many issues with Arlo geofencing, and now this, it makes me wonder if Arlo will ever become a stable, viable solution, or if its just an expensive overrated toy.