Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
rferrara
Guide
Guide

Does the new Pro 3 work with Smartthings, more specifically video integration?  One of my biggest disappointments with the Ultra is neglecting Smartthings and taking away my ability to view my cameras in a centralized location and integrating them into rules for automation.

45 REPLIES 45
Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary
You can do this now a few ways depending on what version of the security Smart you are running for the Pro 2 cameras. Is it the one installed from the classic app or the new app.

For Pro 3 cameras there is no way to interact with them from Smartthings. Arlo hasn't added the Pro3, ultra, either doorbells to the integration yet. Until they do that Smartthings is completely unaware of them.
NickNight
Tutor
Tutor
It’s taking FOREVER for Arlo 3 to work with SmartThings!!! I want to create automations between my Arlo 3 Cameras and Smarthings light bulbs. I did it with Arlo 2 cameras and it worked perfectly. Cmon Arlo get Arlo 3 connected to Smarthings. Being in IT myself I can’t imagine this to be that difficult.
MarkSC
Initiate
Initiate
I purchased the Pro 3 with the intent of working with SmartThings. I am extremely disappointed in Arlo and Samsung not integrating. Can a moderator give us guidance on when this work will occur?
Scudd
Star
Star
That would be great if someone with Arlo would actually step in and help set some expectations around the integration with Samsung SmartThings.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

It’s a goal of Arlo’s to make as many cameras compatible with these integrations as we can but we don’t have an announcement to make regarding Arlo Pro 3 compatibility with SmartThings at this time.

JamesC

Scudd
Star
Star
JamesC,
Thanks for the response. Does Arlo realize they are loosing fairly a large base of integrators that had worked with your cameras in the past, we are having to recommend other cameras moving forward.

Thanks
Shawn
NickNight
Tutor
Tutor
It’s ridiculous how long this is taking. Since Arlo 2 has integration with Smart Things its a no brainer to make Arlo 3 compatible. This needs to be escalated to VPs at Arlo. Obviously the Product Team has no clue as to the value they are leaving on the table. I purchased other cameras. Arlo is losing revenue to other camera companies. Ancient tech...
Jkritta
Guide
Guide

It’s pretty obvious that Arlo has no intention of integrating their products with SmartThings moving forward.  After a substantial investment in Arlo products I’ve had to move on to other options for my customers. 

Scudd
Star
Star
What other camera vendors have people moved to for integration with Samsung SmartThings ?
Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary
Honestly there aren't really any good official options. Officially I think it is just Arlo and the Smartthings camera. Nest may have some support, but it isn't officially supported by Smartthings. If you are dead set on having support in Smartthings i would suggest you look at their official camera. I have in a way given up on that.

There are also options like using RSTP cameras with Blue iris as a NVR. This just takes you down a much more involved path as you would be managing your own infrastructure to run it. It is a big difference from a Arlo setup, and honestly I wouldn't expect most here to want to go that route. Would be much better video quality though as the video wouldn't be over compressed like arlo does.
MarkSC
Initiate
Initiate
Arlo has such a chance to grow market share if they are connected to the SmartThings Hub community. With the Wink hub heading for end of life, the home automation consumer market is going to SmartThings (feels like VHS tape all over again). A smart camera hub like Arlo wins when you can get all of your other house smart devices to react to Arlo actions. Please have your management look into the growth if you are the best option to the entire SmartThings community. Samsung will never catch up to your capabilities, if you are the option for the consumers to go to. Integrating to SmartThings makes you stronger in the market long term!
zkengle
Guide
Guide

I've had an Arlo system integrated with Smartthings for a few months and have been fairly happy with it.  Had an opportunity to purchase a Pro 3 add-on camera fairly cheap, so I did.   Got it added to the Arlo base station with no problem, and just discovered that it won't connect to Smartthings. 

What a joke.   Keeping Arlo and paying for a monthly cloud service charge is becoming less and less attractive.  After many many issues with Arlo geofencing, and now this, it makes me wonder if Arlo will ever become a stable, viable solution, or if its just an expensive overrated toy.

NewArloUserABZ
Initiate
Initiate

Amazon.co.uk are selling these (in fact, all Arlo cameras) with an image of a feature comparison chart.  Every camera on that chart is alleged to be compatible with SmartThings.  I bought the Pro 3 2-pack on that basis and now find that the cameras aren't compatible with SmartThings after all.

Sample link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arlo-Security-Rechargeable-Spotlight-VMS4240P/dp/B07XZQM4WK/ref=sr_1_6?crid...

NickNight
Tutor
Tutor
The only way this is going to change is by the community connecting with the product leadership. LinkedIn is an avenue
NewArloUserABZ
Initiate
Initiate

Seems like a good way to escalate the issue and bring it to the attention of the decision-makers. 👍

mattm94393
Aspirant
Aspirant

I hacked a solution using IFTTT. I had an unused SmartThings Switch which I repurposed as a sort of state manager for this solution. (I don't use it to actually turn anything on or off). I use SmartThings automations to turn that switch on or off based on presence or manual arming/disarming.

So SmartThings Armed = Switch On.  You get the idea..

Then on IFTTT I have have 2 triggers which set Arlo arming according to the state of that switch. 

So basically the switch just acts as a boolean that both systems can utilize.

borice
Initiate
Initiate

So when is the time when it will be supported?   This is ridiculous... PLEASE fix this asap.

KC14
Initiate
Initiate

This response is useless.  At least provide us information on if it is on the roadmap or not so that we can return our Arlo products and purchase products that support our integrations.

brh
Master
Master

On the Smartthings Community website there are several posts about a new schema that supports all Arlo cameras, I believe.  The schema is already available but is still a work in progress. Smartthings and Arlo engineers are working together to make this work smoothly and also to address some of the issues and customer requests that have arisen.

BRH

rferrara
Guide
Guide
Thank you for this information. I have gone ahead and linked my Arlo and smartthings and notice one glaring deficiency right away.... Smartthings is not able to make use of the motion sensor, the lack of this ability means no cross triggering and very little use for setting up automations because the only thing it seams to make use of besides live view is battery level. I love my Arlo's and would just like to integrate them more thoroughly into my smart home without having to know how to code.
dcfox1
Master
Master

I posted this in another thread but now that this one moved up here is a link to the Samsung Smartthings community forum on this.

https://community.smartthings.com/t/new-smartthings-schema-integration-for-arlo/210605