Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
rferrara
Guide
Guide

Does the new Pro 3 work with Smartthings, more specifically video integration?  One of my biggest disappointments with the Ultra is neglecting Smartthings and taking away my ability to view my cameras in a centralized location and integrating them into rules for automation.

45 REPLIES 45
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

rferrara,

At this time, SmartThings integration is not available for Arlo Ultra and Arlo Pro 3.

JamesC

brh
Master
Master

This is a real bummer as I have replaced most of my outdoor cameras with Ultras and Pro3s which are not compatible with Smartthings. Also the Audio doorbells are not compatible with Smartthings. To get around this limitation I have a Pro Hub to control my indoor cameras which are all Pros and Pro2s and am able to connect them with Smartthings. My outside cameras are all controlled by my Ultra Smart Hub. I have to arm/disarm them separately.

As a side note: The Audio Doorbells don't work with either the Ultra or the Pro3 cameras.

Scudd
Star
Star
Thank you for letting me know not to purchase the new cameras I was just about to purchase. I will look elsewhere instead of adding the new cameras to my current system. It is very unfortunate that I am not able to continue to grow with Arlo or recommend them for Integrated systems I spec out at this point.
Scudd
Star
Star

JamesC,

Do you happen to have a time frame as to when it will be supported?

brentrobison85
Tutor
Tutor
This can’t be accurate. If this is true, not only have you greatly decreased the effectiveness of my home security and safety setup, but you just cost me a substantial amount of money. As a current customer (Pro 2 w/doorbell) I purchased my product in the US, and brought in home with me to Mexico. Obviously I didn’t think to check Smartthings compatibility, because removing features and functionality on a “new and improved” system just seems like a poor business decision that was intended to push everyone to your proprietary app and try to force all business to remain within your own ecosystem. I’m paying well over $100 just to ship the product back to the states because I refuse to allow a company to dictate the way in which I can setup my own smart home. VERY. BAD. MOVE.
Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary

Arlo announced a while back with the Ultra cameras that they were looking to enter the Smart Home Market. It was suppose to happen this year, though i haven't seen anything about it recently. For that reason I don't expect any of their new products to support Smartthings. 

There may be a little bit of hope as they have added Homekit support to their stuff, but at the same time they refuse to take on any ownership of the older arlo camera integration with Smartthings. There is a ongoing issue with Arlo Pro2 cameras with Smartthings and in many cases users are just being referred to Smartthings to open a ticket with them as Arlo integration as they claim is completely owned by Smartthings. The ironic thing is the problem occurred after they issued a update to the Arlo 4000 series base station. 

Scudd
Star
Star
One of their big Serling points has been they integrate with many different systems. That is why I was recommending them for implementations with larger systems and home systems. I would hope they continue to support those that helped them.
Kalebbroo
Initiate
Initiate
I love the Arlo q and have been using it with my SmartThings home for a while now. When I heard about the new Pro 3 cameras I planned on purchasing the set of 4 spending over $700. With this sad news I guess I will need to find another company that has better integration. Please let me know if this changes I liked your cameras.
Jkritta
Guide
Guide

Ouch! That’s a huge oversight by Arlo. I have 9 Pro 2’s and added 2 more Pro 3’s. I think I’m still able to return the Pro 3’s. I can’t continue with a product that doesn’t support my configuration. 

Scudd
Star
Star
Spread the word. Hopefully they will correct their issues and support those that supported them.
Target-market
Initiate
Initiate
I should have done better research. I invested in Arlo because of the SmartThings integration. I would have likely gone elsewhere had I known their direction to go away from it.
Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary
So just to be clear i haven't heard anything official, but that is my take on what is happening. I still have a little bit of hope it will change though. I find it interesting we are a full year post announcement of Arlo's smart home ambitions and nothing has happened.

The recent issue with the VMB4000 base station was fixed a few days ago. I also found a post recently where someone got an answer from Arlo staff saying they are interested in supporting as many integrations as possible. That certainly contradicts my current perception so things could still go good for us smartthings users.

What we smartthings users really need is for arlo to completely upgrade the integration to the new smartthings API's and away from the legacy IDE method. If they do that then they could give us full mode integration and allow smartthing devices to interact with Arlo smart home abitions as well.
rferrara
Guide
Guide

Is there any kind of timeline, Beta, or anything in the works at this time?  I have used the original Wirefree, the Pro, and Pro 2 before upgrading yet again to the Ultra when they came back out after their re-release.  All of the cameras previous to the Ultra integrated with Smartthings just fine, and I had many automations set up that used my cameras.  It has been almost a year now with no news or updates about integration and Arlo has released several more products that won't integrate into Smartthings, nor can I use the Arlo platform to integrate or create automations with my other smart devices or switches.  I feel like Arlo has left its best customers behind and in the dark, some of us have spent thousands and been early adopters to be left behind at this point in search of the next customer and the next dollar, or subscription.  Please help us!

Scudd
Star
Star

rferrara, 

I have not heard anything as of yet.  I did notice that there have been active responses on a Apple Home Kit thread as well as what was noted above.  It seems they are trying to capture additional markets, with HomeKit rather supporting the current ones.  Home Kit users may want to pay attention.  We can hope that someone from Arlo might actually respond here with something.  I agree with Mavrrick.

"What we Smartthings users really need is for Arlo to completely upgrade the integration to the new Smartthings API's and away from the legacy IDE method. If they do that then they could give us full mode integration and allow Smartthing devices to interact with Arlo smart home ambitions as well."

Wolfewl
Star
Star

What’s the latest news on SmartThings compatibility?  Unfortunately I purchased before I researched it. I’m really disappointed not being able to control them in ST.  To the point of returning my purchase. Other than that I like them but not being able to control them through my ST modes defeats my purpose for home security. 

Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary

Please pose this question on the Smartthings forums for options. There are a few

Wolfewl
Star
Star
I have posted on ST forum, but haven’t received anything useful. Can you direct me to what you’re referring to?

Regards,

Bill
gringold
Initiate
Initiate
What a diappointment, ihave pro 2, just added some pro3, might be time to start looking start looking elswhere for better integration.
Scudd
Star
Star
It is disappointing. Then they marked a question around this as solved with the statement that they “are working on many integrations“ yet providing No more information or actual solution is just bad business.
pdefeo
Guide
Guide

Looks like Pro2 integration is broken again 😞 

I'm definitely not adding any more Arlo "anything" to my home until they figure their stuff out.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @pdefeo

Can you please provide more detail regarding the issue you are experiencing.

pdefeo
Guide
Guide
samual19
Aspirant
Aspirant

@Scudd wrote:
One of their big Serling points has been they integrate with many different systems. That is why I was McDVOICE recommending them for implementations with larger systems and home systems. I would hope they continue to support those that helped them.

ya they should be doing  that...

Wolfewl
Star
Star

I'm not sure what issue you are referring to (Pro 2 or Pro 3) not working with ST, but, from the Pro 3 standpoint I want to arm/disarm cameras based on the Smart Home Monitor status in ST.

Geofencing in Arlo works, but when I set my home alarm and go to bed (armed stay in Smart Home Monitor) I would like all of my cameras to arm.  When I wake up and disarm it I would like for them to disarm as well. 

Bill