Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Jocasa
Follower
Follower

Can you set the doorbell to "chime" on all Alexa devices. This include the original alexa and dot.

120 REPLIES 120
bowserb46
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have the U.S. 1.3 version (replacement by Arlo of my orginal 1.2).  However, even the 1.2 worked with Alexa.  That said, unless I'm still missing something, the working with Alexa is not too impressive.  I also have the Arlo chime, since the doorbell doesn't work with my existing chime.  So, here's what happens when someone presses the doorbell button:

1. Brief delay, then the Arlo chime dings.

2. Alexa devices (Show, Spot, and four Dots) announce, "Someone is at the door."

3. Arlo places a call to our two cell phones.

Note, please, the extent of involvement with Alexa is just an annoucement that someone is at the door, a fact already provided by the chime's Ding Dong.  If I could speak to the person at the door through Alexa, that would be great.  I can't.  The only way to converse with the person is to wait for the call and answer it.

I guess my point is that the working with Alexa--at least as far as the doorbell goes--doesn't amount to much more than a redundant announcement that we have a visitor at the door.  Incidentally, be sure to rename the device before you connect to Alexa, else you get "Someone is at the doorbell."  If you don't have it working with Alexa, you're not missing much.

Or am I missing some functionality that I should have with the Arlo Doorbell and Alexa?

garethkendall19
Tutor
Tutor

Hi, the Alexa app has the ability to tell all echo devices to play a sound/chime or message. If this worked correctly you don't need to buy the arlo chime. This is preferred because I have amazon devices scattered all over my house so I can hear the bell from any room.

I can then also ask Alexa to show me the front door camera and talk to the person at the door. 

you can also create additional routines if you wanted. 

When I brought this item from amazon it stated works with Alexa. it just doesn't 😞

bowserb46
Apprentice
Apprentice

Kendall, can you talk to someone at the door via the Arlo camera?  Or do none of the Alexa functions work with your Arlo installation?  I ask because I have only the doorbell, no Arlo cameras.

Ed12377
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yup says works with Alexa on Amazon header/page...8D274123-7CD4-4160-B7D9-6C686B29065D.jpeg

Ed12377
Apprentice
Apprentice

That’s all very well & good that you have it working with Alexa, the point of this is that many of us don’t ‘impressive or not’ we also want it to work & was a deciding factor when purchasing the doorbell..However it highlights the case even more so that it should work for all of us not just the few...

Ed12377
Apprentice
Apprentice

Another popular uk suppler also selling as ‘works with alexa’

& still nothing from Arlo on this subject...so Arlo what’s ya latest on this ?....077D7BB9-7582-444B-BF0F-FDD7961C771A.png

Terminal3
Apprentice
Apprentice

Perhaps If you haven't done this, or done it lately you should try removing the Arlo skill and adding it back.  I posted earlier in this thread that this worked fine for me, but I notice a few weeks ago that it stopped functioning.  This weekend I finally decided to look at it, nothing had changed so I removed the Arlo skill and added it back and it started working again.

Sircoynie
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Terminal3 wrote:

Perhaps If you haven't done this, or done it lately you should try removing the Arlo skill and adding it back.  I posted earlier in this thread that this worked fine for me, but I notice a few weeks ago that it stopped functioning.  This weekend I finally decided to look at it, nothing had changed so I removed the Arlo skill and added it back and it started working again.

Tried multiple times, this does not solve the issue for me. Man Arlo is a terrible company, the amount of issues that i am seeing unresolved or even acknowledge now on these forums and Twitter is astonishing. The CEO needs the boot!

bowserb46
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo is just a division, or maybe subsidiary, of Netgear, who has been a modem, switch, NIC, and router company for a long time.  It does appear that a shake up is in order, though.  When you buy these things and have problems, are you writing reviews where you buy them?  A product with an average review of 2.5 on Amazon, will get someone's attention.

Ed12377
Apprentice
Apprentice

Same this end, tried you’re suggestion again, still no joy...

Just feels like we have been burned on this one....

Realisicly what can ‘support’ do that we all haven’t tried already...?

Arlo you really need to give us an honest answer on his platform to let us all know where we stand with what appears to be a defective product...

garethkendall19
Tutor
Tutor

Amazon UK still states works with Alexa, I think I might send mine back!

image.png

shudman
Aspirant
Aspirant

This working yet ?

surfer1000
Luminary
Luminary
Just bought mine and it too is failing to work with my echos, dots, spot and show, UK Arlo hardware 1.3
Sircoynie
Apprentice
Apprentice
As we are all getting ignored here I suggest that we now start tweeting our frustrations to the Arlo MD directly:
@mbmcrae

This is the only way this will get some traction as they ignore these forums and are using it a large a silo, with Twitter it is public and he won’t like that.
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi everyone,

Our team is still investigating the issue regarding Alexa not announcing that somebody is at the door when Arlo doorbell is pressed. We appreciate everyone's patience regarding this once again and will be sure to update the community with any new information we hear back.

Sircoynie
Apprentice
Apprentice

@JessicaP wrote:

Hi everyone,

Our team is still investigating the issue regarding Alexa not announcing that somebody is at the door when Arlo doorbell is pressed. We appreciate everyone's patien ce regarding this once again and will be sure to update the community with any new information we hear back.i

Is this really the first response that we have had after 113 messages, interesting that this came as soon as I directed people frustrations directly to your MD?

Ed12377
Apprentice
Apprentice

Have to agree with you Sicoynie...

Seems to me that the issue is not a priority as a similar ‘canned’ response was issued by Arlo back in December 18 (message 35)...so after 4 months still no further forward...

I’m starting to think sales of goods act may need to come into play, as product is currently not fit for purpose/ not as described. We have all been more than reasonable awaiting a both a solution & meaningful response from Arlo, I myself have been both watching & posting since early this year, should be fixed by now, this is unexceptable...

Sircoynie
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have just raised a complaint in the UK. Please people do the same. I am sick and tired of this company not delivering on its promises.

http://www.consumer-ombudsman.org/

Note: You will have to enter Arlo’s details.
surfer1000
Luminary
Luminary
Seems hit and miss if it even rings my phone!
dannyb2100
Apprentice
Apprentice

Never got the Echo/Alexa integration to work in any form. Through the routine or a direct "button press" smart devices thing. 

Also got sever delay in receiving a call/notification on all the houses devices in general. 

After several support calls and hours on chat. Decided to return our Doorbell. May get one in the future if they ever sort out the mess. (A shame really) 

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi everyone,

We wanted to update everyone that the Arlo Alexa skill is available worldwide. If you're having trouble, make sure the latest Arlo app version is installed on your phone and ensure the following:

• Silent mode is toggled off on the Doorbell settings on the Arlo app
  • "Doorbell Press" on Doorbell Announcement is toggled on on your Arlo Audio Doorbell setting through the Alexa app.
  • "Do Not Disturb" on Amazon Echo devices is toggled off.

If you are still experiencing problems with Alexa not announcing when the doorbell button is pressed, please contact our support team here: Arlo Support