Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Doorbell and Amazon Dot and Original Alexa

Discussion stats
Jocasa
Follower
Follower

Can you set the doorbell to "chime" on all Alexa devices. This include the original alexa and dot.

120 REPLIES 120
salacy
Guide
Guide

Yes, I tried those steps also but it did not work for me. Many others have reported the same.

Ed12377
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ok gave it another try as first time I removed Arlo devices first then disabled skill..

This time disabled skill first then removed Arlo devices from Alexa list..Still no joy...

Just have enable/disable slider under settings, no announcements panel listed...

Just to throw another thought into this, I’m in UK & arlo skill lists as “Arlo uk” so I’m thinking because doorbell is not yet officially available here maybe the door bell options not also not published for uk usage with Alexa..Or am I clutching at straws as maybe this should not make any difference what so ever as others are having same or similar experience ?...

If so I’m thinking maybe VPN & somehow install US version of arlo skill ? 

Or just swallow it for what is until arlo sorts this out...

daryncox
Initiate
Initiate

I had it working for a couple days by simply selecting the doorbell within the Alexa app and turning on the toggle that says "Doorbell Press" in its settings. Nothing has changed in my setup but it's no longer working at all.

mhandya
Tutor
Tutor
Same here? Mine was working before Xmas and now nothing.

I have rebooted my router. No change on the Alexa app settings. This stuff is too buggy.

Arlo should really open a case for this issue. Maybe it's a sale tactic to make you purchase a chime......
Ed12377
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well just to put my latest onto this, the arlo app had an update issued 2 days ago & have installed...

The good news is that the doorbell announcements & it’s toggle now appear along with options for various chime sound options within Alexa app..I have now switched announcements to ‘on’ but sadly still not working, Alexa not responding at all when doorbell used...

Ed12377
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ok thought i’d try disabling arlo skill & arlo devices & do another install, since the app is now showing Anouncements & it’s settings after updating the app...Still same, switched on under door bell press but Alexa not responding..So in short I now have the feature but it doesn’t work as with many others on this thread....

Adam99
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same here. Option how showing but nothing happens. Progress but not quite there yet.
daryncox
Initiate
Initiate

Mine was working last week and then it wasn't without any changes in the Alexa app. I still haven't changed anything and just tried it and it's working again. I'm in the U.S. if that helps. Also for fun, I created a routine where when the button is pressed my Echo Plus plays a song ("So whatcha want" if you're wondering) and that also works but it's weird to have them both so I deleted it.

MyPSP
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks mate. This is a useful trick. I have tried everything that above had mentioned, but no luck. Alexa is still unable to make an announcement. But with this it should do what I want Alexa to do. Really appreciated.
bowserb46
Apprentice
Apprentice

BTW, next time you talk with Alexa, try, "Alexa open the pod bay door."

Ed12377
Apprentice
Apprentice

In addition to Alexa still not working I have also noticed, since recent update to arlo app, that the door bell has stopped logging in the library... It used to flag number of times pressed on devices page & motion etc, but now nothing in library for doorbell & it’s associated camera..What’s going on arlo ? Currently the arlo system is very buggy...Stating to think an alternative product would have been better as it seems there one fault after another...

Sircoynie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Is it just my setup or is the newly released in the UK Arlo Doorbell not working with Alexa? I have added the device and enabled the chime functionality but it is not sending any notification to Alexa?

Anyone got this working or is it yet again a Netfear half baked release issue (man you need to improve Arlo!)

Thanks

Sircoynie
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have this issue as well in the UK, tried all suggestions and it just doesn’t work!

Note: Amazon UK have delivered my doorbell so it must now be released. Note they still haven’t sent my chime yet though!
Sircoynie
Apprentice
Apprentice

I see that this has already been mentioned. Please close (AND FOX THE ISSUE!)

salacy
Guide
Guide

I saw that online (cloud) storage will be on a subscription only basis for those who buy the 4K cameras. Why anyone needs that level of resolution is beyond me, but it is really disappointing to see Arlo persue the same business model as Ring, Nest and others. For me, the free cloud storage was the only reason I went with Arlo in the first place. Others are easier to set up, better established, and cheaper to purchase up front. Maybe the extra revenue will help Arlo to fix their issues with Alexa connectivity.

Ed12377
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yeah I see Amazon uk are now selling the doorbell, chime is also available as of mid February..

Alexa still doesn’t work though, & yet it’s being sold as ‘works with Amazon alexa’ 

Come on netgear/arlo, lets have an official update on this on this forum that you steer us end users onto when seeking ‘support’, so far all I’ve seen is one ‘canned’ response saying they are aware of the issue with Alexa connectivity some time ago...

bowserb46
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hey, salacy, I can't speak to Amazon's schedule, however, who might want 4k cameras would be if they've got one pointed where they can catch a license plate.  I have video surveillance, not Arlo, with eight cameras and an onsite recorder.  One of my cameras is pointed at the street corner, but it is too far to ID a license plate.  I've considered upgrading that one camera to 4K, so that I could get usable footage of a "getaway" car and license.  As to the Netgear decision to use the Ring, Nest and other cloud models, I guess they made a conscious choice:  More revenue for whatever share of the market we get, vs less revenue per customer but larger market share.  Tough choice.  Gamble on more business or go for the easy money with a smaller market share.  Clearly Netgear chose the latter.

Ed12377
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ok i've noiced something on this a few times when trying to get the door bell to work with Alexa, & that is when i open the Alexa app & hit door bell settings the Announcemens slider switch 'moves' from off to on, when first opening the appropriate settings page, so it's looking like the Alexa app defaults to 'off' when extiting..Only does it for a brief second, but may explain this ongoing bug or may be just the way the app settings page refreshes ? Not sure but thought it worth a mention.

Still no official word on a fix i see...

jiji220
Aspirant
Aspirant

setting in the Alexa apps that I'm using.  The Doorbell is there as an active device under the "Smart Home" installed devices, but the settings screen for the Arlo doorbell only has a slide object titled "Enabled".  All of the Arlo camera products have the same limited device screen 

jiji220
Aspirant
Aspirant

setting in the Alexa apps that I'm using. The Doorbell is there as an active device under the "Smart Home" installed devices, but the settings screen for the Arlo doorbell only has a slide object titled "Enabled". All of the Arlo camera products have the same limited device screen 

garethkendall19
Tutor
Tutor
Is there anything else we can try for you getting the doorbell to work with Alexa? I've tried everything to no avail, tempted to send it back as miss sold as it states "works" with Alexa.
Sircoynie
Apprentice
Apprentice
Nope, we have to sit here in silence and pray for an update.....or we can send back and post about it on Twitter every time they try to advertise it. I have also put up an amazon review regarding it.
bowserb46
Apprentice
Apprentice

Clearly there is a bug somewhere in the Arlo-Alexa interface.  Like some others, I've done all the settings and mine works.  That is, when the doorbell button is pressed, all my Amazon Echo devices (Show, Spot, and three Dots) announce "Someone is at the doorbell."  Then a call is placed to our iPhones, albeit after a short delay.  I'm not sure how many visitors would wait the time it takes for the call to be placed and answered, though.  Also, it would be nice, if I could speak to a person at the door via my Echo devices (I cannot.  Not sure if I'm supposed to be able to or not.)  In any case, I'm hoping that the doorbell version 1.3, which according to FedEx just shipped from Memphis, solves the low volume issue.  Then I can begin hoping for improved and more reliable features.

Ferraz
Aspirant
Aspirant

It works but if you are configuring the doorbell after the rest of the camara on your alexa app, your need to disable the Arlo skill, and enable it again. After that step you can do a discovery devices and that can solve the issue. Then enable the rest on the Alexa App

ConfigurationConfiguration

Add3
Guide
Guide
This solution worked for me!