Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Doorbell and Amazon Dot and Original Alexa

Discussion stats
Jocasa
Follower
Follower

Can you set the doorbell to "chime" on all Alexa devices. This include the original alexa and dot.

120 REPLIES 120
garethkendall19
Tutor
Tutor
So disable and re enable the skill? Add the cameras back in but make sure to add the bell first, is that right?

I've disabled and enabled this skill more times than I can count 😉
MyPSP
Aspirant
Aspirant
Mine one didn’t work at the first place. Somehow, it’s working now. Here is what I did, hope it will help someone.
I created a routine for it. If doorbell pressed, then Alexa make an announcement. You can creat the words whatever you like. I used this routine for about a week or two. I noticed that Alexa was announcing twice once doorbell did pressed. So I disable the routine which I made. And it’s working without unable the routine. I don’t know why! But you guys definitely worth a try. It may work for you.
Ferraz
Aspirant
Aspirant
No particular order you do not need to eliminate the cameras just re enable the skill an let discovery the doorbell, I recoment to erase the doorbell from devices from Alexa app first of doing the procedure
Ed12377
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks Ferraz, just tried your suggestion, sadly still not working with Alexa...

What is making this worse for me & others is the continued silence from Arlo regarding this, we have all spent good money on this & the Arlo system & doorbell is still currently ‘not as described’...

Daniel2silver
Tutor
Tutor
Our Arlo Baby continues to say, “not responding” when trying to view on Amazon Echo Spot. I have contacted customer support and told “it was resolved” but it has not. It errors out at least once per day. Sometimes it works when someone else is logged into arlo app and other times not. Consistently occurs when the camera is displaying properly, then you give another command to alexa (such as turn off the lights), and then camera will not respond when you try to get it to display again. Tried resetting, restarting both devices and “not responding” keeps occurring. Considering returning Arlo Baby and Echo Spot.
jasonfb123
Aspirant
Aspirant

Got the Doorbell last week. Installed it yesterday and it would not "alert" Alexa.  Disabled Alexa app, immediately re-enabled it and the doorbell works fine. No other steps needed.  I like how the Grandfather Clock selection sounds out of tune just like a real one.  Hahaha.

garethkendall19
Tutor
Tutor
What setting do you have on the doorbell?

Is it set to chime or digital?
Ferraz
Aspirant
Aspirant
Normally is enough to re-enable the skill , not the Alexa app
jcommodo
Aspirant
Aspirant

To everyone having issues with their Echo acting as a chime, one thing to check is that your Echo is not set to do not disturb.  Under devices - all devices, you should be able to select the Echo device(s) you want to have ring and see under general settings "Do not Disturb".  I just set up my Arlo Doorbell and was having the same issue of it not ringing after folllowing the instructions provided by Arlo.  I then went and explored the Echo's settings, found that and turned DND off (it was on) and the doorbell immediately worked. 

garethkendall19
Tutor
Tutor
So what switch setting do you have on the bell? 1,2 or 3? I'm wondering if it's the reason it might not be working.
Ed12377
Apprentice
Apprentice

I thought about the switch setting in the doorbell too, I’ve not touched it tbh, I guess at this point the question is what switch setting should it be switched to ? 1 2 or 3 for those of you that have got it to work with Alexa...Also good shout on the dnd settings but all mine are switched off, will have a play with it this weekend as the batteries need changing...again ! 

garethkendall19
Tutor
Tutor
I'll have a play in the morning and see if I can get it to work.
Me1in
Tutor
Tutor

I have tried all of the above, nothing seems to be working. Uninstalled the skill, discovered the doorbell. Created a routine in the alexa app, but get nothing. Very frustrating !

Sircoynie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Tried all of the above and still not working here either!

@Me1in wrote:

I have tried all of the above, nothing seems to be working. Uninstalled the skill, discovered the doorbell. Created a routine in the alexa app, but get nothing. Very frustrating !

joecw
Aspirant
Aspirant

All,  I finally got this working!  If it helps anyone, it appears for me, the doorbell "silent mode" needs to be turned off.  I had it turned on when I did not want the doorbell to call me but just chime.  If I turn silent mode off (get chime and call), Alexa annouces on all my dots/spots and even gets the trigger event.  

A good intermediate test is if you set a routine to say/do something on arlo doorbell button press to see if you get the event or not.  When I did this, I did not get a doorbell press event in Alexa when in silent mode on doorbell.

Now my next issue, I do not really like the Arlo doorbell call me feature, especially when I am at home....

bowserb46
Apprentice
Apprentice

Joe, I like that call feature, too.  I just need to remember to use it--in case I need to pretend to not be at home.  I made the mistake of answering the door yesterday, and it was the county appraisal district wanting to come into my back yard.  I could have answered on my phone and said I won't be home until around 7pm, and since my gates have padlocks, they'd have been OOL.  Instead they got me!  Folks, don't make my mistake!  Answer the door with your phone.  Then you can be at home or not, as necessary.  Yes to the pizza man; no to the tax man.

Kezza1133
Guide
Guide
I cannot get a notification on my Alexa show or Spot when the doorbell rings. I’m in Australia.
Sircoynie
Apprentice
Apprentice
Still not working in the UK, tried all suggestions!
Ed12377
Apprentice
Apprentice

I think we can safely conclude that the Alexa function for door bell simply does not work...

At least not in uk anyway, mines been switched on in Alexa settings for a good few weeks now & still doesn’t work...& still no real constructive comment from Arlo themselves on this, I really want to continue both suppprting & investing in Arlo products but if this is the quality of support & product for end user, I think I may hold of future investment...

Arlo speak to us on this !!!

We have all been more than reasonable awaiting a solution to this issue & the relative silence from Arlo realises all sorts of questions...starting to feel I’ve been missold the product as it currently does not do what it says...Very disappointing especially with no word from Arlo on this....

Sircoynie
Apprentice
Apprentice
I agree!

Arlo: We are asking for an official response now, this has gone on for too long!
Ed12377
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just thought I’d check Amazon uk & noticed the ‘works with Alexa’ phrasing has been removed from the main header...

Ed12377
Apprentice
Apprentice

Still nothing then ? Arlo ? 

Just thought i'd poke this one again...

Still not working with Alexa as 'was' advertised...

Kezza1133
Guide
Guide
Yes I would like an answer as to when the doorbell will work with Alexa in Aus..
Me1in
Tutor
Tutor
I responded to Arlo through a Facebook add for the doorbell see attached for there answer, has anyone got the original quote from Amazons page saying it did work with Alexa?
Me1in
Tutor
Tutor