Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 27 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
nochancenine
Guide
Guide

Video from the live Camera or Library won't play on my Chromebook (Acer 710).  Anything that can be done about this, like installing a browser extension or something?  The videos do play fine on Chrome on a Windows 8 PC, just not in Chrome on a the Chromebook.

Anyone else have a Chromebook that does or doesn't play video from the Arlo?

14 REPLIES 14
DanielT
Arlo Employee Retired

At this time, Chromebook is not officially supported. I'll reach out to the development team and add this as a requested enhancement.

In the meanwhile, can you confirm that Flash is installed as a browser plug-in?

DanielT

Netgear Arlo Customer Support

nochancenine
Guide
Guide

Yes, the Chromebook has Flash

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

When I go to this URL in Chrome on the Chromebook it plays the short Flash video and shows:

"You have version 16,0,0,305 installed"

What I also experience is if I choose Download on a video in my Library, it does download, but doesn't play the downloaded video either.  It downloads as an .mp4 file.  When I open the .mp4 file it pops up as if it will play, but will not play.

Copland
Initiate
Initiate

Yes, can you please come up with an app for chromebook!!!

TooBig2Fail
Initiate
Initiate

I also have a Acer Chromebook 15, and not able to play or view saved files as well.

This should be an easy fix I would think, and I must say I was a little more than upset to see that I can not play, save, or view any files.

I am surprised this was not thought out a little more, as Chromebooks are gaining more and more popularity every day. At this time in 2013 - 2.9 million Chromebooks were sold to end users, and another 7.3 million Chromebooks will be sold during 2015. This is an upward growth of 27% compared with 2014.

For me I just purchased the one Arlo camera, and I see a very nice product so far. I do plan on upgrading by adding more cameras in the future just as soon as Netgear/Arlo team adds Chromebook support.

Thanks, Arlo Team!

Looking forward to seeing a Chromebook fix, and soon after, me purchasing three more cameras for my video surveillance of my property.

ivanr
Tutor
Tutor

Has this issue been resloved?  I have sevarl chromebooks and non can play your videos.  

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ivanr,

Currently the chromebook is not supported. I don't have anymore information on whether it will be in the future or not but I will keep you posted if that changes!

Thank you!

JamesC

TooBig2Fail
Initiate
Initiate

Any update?

Or should I just go another rout and get a different system?

eye_on_crime
Initiate
Initiate

I have the Acer Chromebook 11 and the videos do not play either. I can, however, download the videos to my google drive, then play them as MP4 format. This is a hassle though because it takes a few minutes to download each video. I hope Arlo fixes this issue. 

boss239
Initiate
Initiate

I finally firgured it out! Go to chrome://flags and disable hardware-accelerated video decode, presto! 🙂 Please share this with other Chromebook users.

ivanr
Tutor
Tutor

It worked for me too.  So Arlo support was unable to figure this out for months?  Amazing.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The list of supported browsers has been posted from the beginning.  You're using an unsupported configuration so you have to figure it out. 

ivanr
Tutor
Tutor

That list includes Chrome so it is only logical to assume it will work on a Chromebook.  It always worked fine on Chrome on a PC.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That would be true as long as the Chromebook version of Chrome includes Flash. Otherwise, it's just like any mobile version of Chrome.

grover66
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been able to watch live feeds from my cameras, but not recorded videos. I was able to get it working by changing my User-Agent to look like Internet Explorer 10, using User-Agent Switcher extension for Google Chrome.

Mike 🙂 

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 27 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation