Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion Detection has to get better !!!!!!

Discussion stats
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

The "Stuggle" continuues !!!!

I see countless social media posts with pictures of Arlo systems capturing movement the way a security system should.  Can anyone direct me to where they bought these flawless smart home security cameras?  I first saw this system at the annual Las Vegas CES show and knew that I was going to get it immediately.  I was so impressed by the way it worked at the show  I let myself get out of the 14 day return policy. Today, I regret that I paid $349.00 of my hard earned cash for indoor/outdoor webcams.

This screen shot shows whats exactly wrong Arlo. I marked the path that the subject walked in red with arrows.  The subject walked up my driveway, rang the door bell, then walked down and accross the field of veiw. 

What does Arlo catch?  A FOOT !!!!!

(if you you do not see the photo, give it 5-10 minutes, there is a delay with the Forum Engine.)

Arlo2.png

47 REPLIES 47
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

....... interesting enough the camera that is the farthest away from my basestation works flawless.  It sits 75-85 feet away from my basestation, with 3 of 4 signal bars showing. 

Turbo14
Star
Star

Hula_Rock wrote:

....... interesting enough the camera that is the farthest away from my basestation works flawless.  It sits 75-85 feet away from my basestation, with 3 of 4 signal bars showing. 

Well, that is interesting, and goes against my theory. 

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

Turbo14 wrote:

Hula_Rock wrote:

Here take a look:

Rear Patio

Pretty good response time, and this camera sits the furthest away from my basestation...

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hula_Rock wrote:

Turbo14 wrote:

Hula_Rock wrote:

Here take a look:

Rear Patio

Pretty good response time, and this camera sits the furthest away from my basestation...

Yeah that looks to have good response.  I guess the only thing to do is keep testing different locations and hope to find a location with results that you can live with.  Good luck man!

-Robert
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

Thanks Robert ...... Going to try to un-invert the camera in the same position to see if it improves the motion detection.

Turbo14
Star
Star

Interesting observation about them being inverted.  The two of mine that are inverted are the ones with the slower response time.  Again, not sure if this is a coincidence or not.

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

I will post a follow up video.  You plan on changing yours to see if it improves?

Turbo14
Star
Star

Hula_Rock wrote:

I will post a follow up video.  You plan on changing yours to see if it improves?

I may try it, but it would be a couple days before I can get to it.

dkbk
Initiate
Initiate

I agree. I have had Arlo for two months and the motion detection sucks. Massive delays before recording. 

Every time someone delivers a package to my front door and I am alerted I check the video and its too late. They are under or passed the view of the camera. What is the point? 

I have messed with the sensitivity and it does nothing. 

People have been complaining about this for months and nothing has been done. 

When is an update coming? Netgear you need to fix this already. 

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

dkbk wrote:

I agree. I have had Arlo for two months and the motion detection sucks. Massive delays before recording. 

Every time someone delivers a package to my front door and I am alerted I check the video and its too late. They are under or passed the view of the camera. What is the point? 

I have messed with the sensitivity and it does nothing. 

People have been complaining about this for months and nothing has been done. 

When is an update coming? Netgear you need to fix this already. 

Im beggining to think that they do not know thier own product.  There is a handful of people in this community that know more about Arlo that Netgear does.

Eric_C
Aspirant
Aspirant

Brand new 4 camera setup here...and my motion detection is dismal at best.  Likely will return these to Bestbuy, for $500 you don't expect to see these kind of issues.

Draygen
Tutor
Tutor
Still no word eh? I think mines getting worse. Front camera only triggered once and I probably walked by it 6 times. I read back and found the part about it being the closest to the base being the issue. Same scenario with mine. The closest camera is the one having the most issues. It's probably 20 feet away max. I may play with my base station location tomorrow and see if there's any change. Has anyone seen settings for changing the wifi channel?
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

No change in how this thing performs, Lackluster at best....

The only way that I know of changing the Wifi channel is to change the channel on your personal Wifi router, then power cycle the base station.  I have tried this already and it improves NOTHING, ZERO, NADA, ZILTCH.....

BetsyS
Aspirant
Aspirant
Man I wish I had read all these posts before purchasing last week. My system has been up for five days now and it's dismal at best. So many issues. What ended up happening faith you HULA?
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

BetsyS wrote:
Man I wish I had read all these posts before purchasing last week. My system has been up for five days now and it's dismal at best. So many issues. What ended up happening faith you HULA?

@BetsyS After getting a package stolen from my front door, which Arlo FAILED to Catch, I relocated my Arlo system to one of my vacation homes.  I use it to check when renters check in and leave the property, check on the weather, etc.

The Arlo system was REPLACED with a Home Automation/security system from Viviint.  The door bell camera / Motion detector puts Arlo to shame.....

Kevin
Tutor
Tutor

Same exact problem. It's like there's a delay between when motion is sensed and recording starts. I'm also getting frustrated wasting batteries on these false motion detections or videos of a foot.

CloudHopper
Apprentice
Apprentice

An issue I am facing is the latency between sets of recordings. My recordings are set to 20 seconds. If the activity goes beyond 20 seconds, Arlo doesn't immediately start recording another 20 second video. It seems to hang for about 20 seconds before starting another recording.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Obviously, motion has to be detected to start another video. However, I wonder if the first video has to upload before any other ones can take place? Just a WAG...

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I've found the time between records not to be that long IF the camera detect motion still.  In my tests there a lag of a few secs max before recording start for the set time.

But, the main reason I've seen is that if the cam doesn't pick up motion, the cycle doesn't reset and restart. Since the PIR seems to be most sensitive on the edges and corners but not the middle this can be a problem.  My way around this was on some cameras to increase the record time from the normal short ( 10 sec ) to about a min to increase capture time.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Gmccullough1
Tutor
Tutor
I formerly had the Vue Zone cameras and they reacted almost immediately to motion and started recording. My new Arlo canera's do not react quickly at all. A person can walk into view of the camera then proceed 20 ' directly at the camera before it starts recording. I have had a mail person walk up, put down a package and leave. Video capture begins as he is 10 ' on his way back. Never get his face. What good is that? Vue zone captured him all the way up steps and back out again. Any suggestions.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I also had Vuezone , 4 cams ... 

The PIR that detects on ARLO is more sensitive on the side edges and corners... prob due to the larger field of view

Honestly it took me a few tries to get it working well with now a 1-2 sec delay to wake up.

Try and not cover to much area and try to position so subject crosses the PIR field ( max out about 20ft ), my cams are about 7.5 ft-8.5ft up

Morse is faster than texting!
kend64
Initiate
Initiate

Just last week I had a 7-10min conversation with 2 cops on my porch, not one second recorded. Today, delivery guy brought packages, not one second recorded. But it will pick up a car on the street driving by 35 feet away that you can only see the bottom third of the tire! I do not recommend these! I have tries everything.

nngnng
Apprentice
Apprentice

I got rid of the junk Arlo cameras and went with the Lorex security systems. Too much babysitting with these cameras. It's a hit and miss motion detection.