Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Motion Detection has to get better !!!!!!

Discussion stats
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

The "Stuggle" continuues !!!!

I see countless social media posts with pictures of Arlo systems capturing movement the way a security system should.  Can anyone direct me to where they bought these flawless smart home security cameras?  I first saw this system at the annual Las Vegas CES show and knew that I was going to get it immediately.  I was so impressed by the way it worked at the show  I let myself get out of the 14 day return policy. Today, I regret that I paid $349.00 of my hard earned cash for indoor/outdoor webcams.

This screen shot shows whats exactly wrong Arlo. I marked the path that the subject walked in red with arrows.  The subject walked up my driveway, rang the door bell, then walked down and accross the field of veiw. 

What does Arlo catch?  A FOOT !!!!!

(if you you do not see the photo, give it 5-10 minutes, there is a delay with the Forum Engine.)

Arlo2.png

47 REPLIES 47
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

A Picture from the Arlo Twitter account "Glorifying" motion capture...

How.png

HOW CAN I GET MY SYSTEM TO WORK THE SAME WAY ??????

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

I compare both images here.. It looks like your camera is pointing a bit downward than the other.. The motion detection on your camera is prolly' limited due to the downward position.. Have you increased the sensitivity and motion detection settings? Your camera setup is same as mine on my garage looking downward and yes whenever I pulled in/out the driveway.. I don't get motion detected.. It finally worked when I leveled my camera a bit and increase the sensitivity..

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy
Sensitivity at 100. The camera angle is well within suggested tilt and range according to the instuctions.
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hula_Rock wrote:

The "Stuggle" continuues !!!!

I see countless social media posts with pictures of Arlo systems capturing movement the way a security system should.  Can anyone direct me to where they bought these flawless smart home security cameras?  I first saw this system at the annual Las Vegas CES show and knew that I was going to get it immediately.  I was so impressed by the way it worked at the show  I let myself get out of the 14 day return policy. Today, I regret that I paid $349.00 of my hard earned cash for indoor/outdoor webcams.

This screen shot shows whats exactly wrong Arlo. I marked the path that the subject walked in red with arrows.  The subject walked up my driveway, rang the door bell, then walked down and accross the field of veiw. 

What does Arlo catch?  A FOOT !!!!!

(if you you do not see the photo, give it 5-10 minutes, there is a delay with the Forum Engine.)

Arlo2.png

Hi Hula,

From the attachment point, assuming you are using the std mount, I would rotate 40deg to right, lift up 5deg, then rotate camera where the top left point of the view from your picture is inline to the entry point.

Set your test motion so not to be too senstive viewing the street and then start at 100% sensitivity and step back 2% if too sensitive, until desired results are met.

Sorry if I am not explaining myself properly, don't have photoshop skills to visually try and show what I mean.

-Robert
eLCapitan
Guide
Guide

I have also sometimes the same issue. I think it is due firmware what they still have to improve. There is also a lot of complains here about the ramp up time between motion happens and the final recording of the video. I think the PIR sensor reacts fast, but not the camera as this is in "sleep" mode due to battery life. I hope they get soon an idea how to solve this.

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

Thanks for the suggesting.  Although I have tried this position in the past I will entertain it again:

XXX.png

I will follow up this set up with the video,  I will start to walk from the red circle, up  the drive way and back down the driveway with sensitivity set at 100.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Hula_Rock wrote:snip

I will follow up this set up with the video,  I will start to walk from the red circle, up  the drive way and back down the driveway with sensitivity set at 100.

What versions of cam and base are u running?

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

JPC wrote:

I compare both images here.. It looks like your camera is pointing a bit downward than the other.. The motion detection on your camera is prolly' limited due to the downward position.. Have you increased the sensitivity and motion detection settings? Your camera setup is same as mine on my garage looking downward and yes whenever I pulled in/out the driveway.. I don't get motion detected.. It finally worked when I leveled my camera a bit and increase the sensitivity..

I leveled the camera and rotated it right to capture the end of my driveway with the sensitivity set to 100.  I will test this today with a followup video in the morning .

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

TomMac wrote:

Hula_Rock wrote:snip

1.2.2545 and 1.4.2627

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

1.2.2545 and 1.4.2627

Ok... the current releases haven't caught up to me yet... maybe soon , both still 1 version back. Maybe there's a glimmer of hope comming soon !

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

Im keeping my fingers crossed,  To add insult to injury, I helped a frend installl a LOREX 2 camera system ($349.00) over the weekend.  Its not wireless but Arlo might meet Ebay real soon.

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hula_Rock wrote:

Im keeping my fingers crossed,  To add insult to injury, I helped a frend installl a LOREX 2 camera system ($349.00) over the weekend.  Its not wireless but Arlo might meet Ebay real soon.

I hear you, if not for the fact it would be a nightmare to run power where I want my cameras positioned, I would've went a different route.

If I find the time and patience to run power to those areas, the Arlos will most likely be replaced.  For now, I hope that NetGear is listening and will do something about these issues.

-Robert
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

RobertRosal wrote:

Hula_Rock wrote:

I hear you, if not for the fact it would be a nightmare to run power where I want my cameras positioned, I would've went a different route.

If I find the time and patience to run power to those areas, the Arlos will most likely be replaced.  For now, I hope that NetGear is listening and will do something about these issues.

If you think about it, total up the amount of time that you have spent: resyncing cameras, camera installation, adjusting your setting, camera installation, phone time with NetGear, camera installation, did I say camera installation?  We could have run BNC power and ethernet cables to the farthest corners of our houses by now.

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Actually have been pretty lucky with mine, only called NetGear twice and that was because of the alerts not working with my Droid.  

Though I do feel the camera has a delay that can be improved, mine is nowhere near as bad as yours.  If I had the delay you are seeing, my Arlo's would've been gone a long time ago.

Here's another link from yesterday, camera is positioned centered to the little garage and pointing straight amd angled downward.  A cat triggers it coming from my entrance, and as you can see it picks it up OK. Can it be better, of course, but I can live with it hoping there's an update that'll make things faster.

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/C6AF96C07C374405

And a couple more of our mailman

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/2730D30C95D801F9

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/7E13E56427CE6CEF

-Robert
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

thats pretty good responses

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

TomMac wrote:

thats pretty good responses

Thanks!  Now that I have been thinking about it, do you think it may be your base that's causing delays?

Maybe NetGear will send out a loaner to test?  With how bad your delays are, and the calls you have made to them, that's the least they could do.

-Robert
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Oops, the thanks was for you Tom, the rest of my last message was for Hula. 🙂

My cam and base are at 1.2.2545 and 1.4.2627, if anyone wants to know.

-Robert
JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Robert, that's what I'm getting on mine.. Settings at 88-95% sensitivity & Video recording at 35sec all four outside of my cameras.. All of them are attached on magnets & about 7-8ft. above kinda hidden except for the front door.. All of my cameras are not inverted like when you put a std mount.. I dunno' if this makes a difference on Motion detection..Especially when it's pointed downward.. I haven't tried it.. But my camera's are working fine as far as Motion detection.. 

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

RobertRosal:

Those are responses that I want with my system!

As far was my base station is concerned,  I have relocated it outside of my Media room away from my AT&T gateway, wireless router, smart tv and personal server. They did give me a loaner camera (it is the camera that is recording the area currently)  The camera with the kit had the same delay.  As far as connectivity is concerned, I have a dedicated 1 Gigabit pipe, fiber to the house.

The camera in question is installed 8 feet high with a aftermarket security camera bracket.  Current settings are: sensitivity 100, inverted, with 2 rules running.

I did a test with a new camera position:  I was ask to rotate it more to the right and tilt it up a little.  As you can see the delay is still HORRIBLE.

Note:  it is 16 steps from the start of my driveway to my front door and 16 steps back.  The video shows me almost out of the picture before recording started.

Link to video:

Arlo Motion detection

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Yeah that is a serious delay and don't blame you if put the Arlo's up on Ebay.  

One other thing you may try, not that you would probably want to with all the headaches you've been through.  My router is in the opposite side of my house from where my cameras are located.  So I used a powerline and placed my base in my Garage.  Pretty darn close to where my cameras are at, don't know if that will solve the delay, but may be worth a shot.

-Robert
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

RobertRosal wrote:snip.  Pretty darn close to where my cameras are at, don't know if that will solve the delay, but may be worth a shot.

Don't think the being closer will make a diff , the cam led on the front of the base will flash if near a max range for camera... but if there is other strong wifi interference, that may be a cause and or related.

My responce is like RobertR... fairly quick, I loose a few steps but get all... still think it comes more down to placement ( btw never had my settings over 90% sense )

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

Base station is less that 30 feet away from this camera.

Placement ?  what is so bad about where the camera is installed now?  When I was shopping around for a security system, ADT, Vivant, Hawk, and Digital life, suggested that they would install a Camera where the Arlo camera is currently installed at.

This is a BRAND NEW house, and I am drilling mounting holes all over the house.  Wife is not happy.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Hula_Rock wrote:

This is a BRAND NEW house, and I am drilling mounting holes all over the house.  Wife is not happy.

I can see your fustrated.... I would be too.  But rather than drilling holes, try some double stick foam tape on the mounting balls ( the original vuezones did this ) till you find a good location thats works well..

Also, many have had very good luck with Commander tape... 3m product that sitck to walls but it is removable without any damage.

(double stick foam tape is removed by dental floss sawing behind thru foam and then clean off part left )

Turbo14
Star
Star

I don't have a whole lot to add except I am having similar delay issues.  I have wondered if mine is a matter of the base station being far away from the cameras.  The problem is most noticeable with two of my cameras that are farthest away from the base station.  I don't know if that is a coincidence - maybe I need to try repositioning my cameras for better motion detection.  I sometimes see that the wireless signal drops a little on them.  The cameras that have a stronger signal seem pretty responsive.  But again, it may be a matter of how they are positioned.