Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

nicholshornlake
Luminary
Luminary

One of my 3 cameras has started showing a red tint. They are only 2 months old. I have installed 4 new batteries, that did not help. Rebooted the base station did not help. Resynced the camera did not help. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks for any help.

173 REPLIES 173
scottk9127
Aspirant
Aspirant

That ticket was long since entered and I never got a response.  So your suggestion isn't really helpful unless you're familiar with the customer service failings noted all over these boards.

pagalavan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

Sorry to hear that. I did not get any response either.! But, the problem went away in a couple of weeks. I did not suggest anything 🙂

Good luck..!!!

thealbs
Tutor
Tutor

I have the same issue.

On a positive note, Netgear support have been extremely responsive. I have had a very active diaslogue with a support person who has diagnised it as a hardware fault ... all on a Sunday afternoon. 

Unfortunately,  Netgear persevere with the view that I have to pay for the postage to return the faulty item to them. This is despite it being a known and common manufacuring flaw, and the camera being only six months old. There is an inference that they might pay for postage if I call them on their premium rate telephone line. Now...which is going to cist me more? Postage or being on hold at 40p per minute?! The answer is ... neither. Unless Netgear step up and see this from the customer's persepctuve I will be returning the entire package to Amazon and they can deal with it.

Well done Netgear on having a very responsive suport team. Unfortunately it is not matched by the fact that the customer has to be invonvenienced - not only from having a faulty product but also financially in getting it back to you.

thealbs
Tutor
Tutor

Credit where its due ... less that 24 hours after reporting the issue, Netgear have agreed to replace at no cost to me.

Its still concerning that so many folk are reporting the same issues and I can only hope that I've had my one and only pink-tint-moment, but I have had a much better customer experince than others on this thread. 

Thanks

Nothappy1
Aspirant
Aspirant
This is total not ok. Sick of this product. Have red camera every time I decide to do something about it it switches back to okay think it's fixed from a software update couple days later red. For the money that I spent on this thing this is total bull. Ask me if I will ever buy another Netgear product.
Bigbryandotcom
Initiate
Initiate

Hi all, I have 5 of these cameras and have had 3 with the pink screen. Two I returned to Maplin and they replaced ok. But the third I decided to strip it down and see what is going on. Here are my findings. The lens / camera has a electro mechanical filter that is driven by solinod, the purpose of this is the IR LEDs that come on at nights. At night this filter is not activated its only activated during the day.

I tested the solinod with my bench power supply set to 3 volts. Suprise suprise it worked fine. Makes that clicking noise that it should do. On feather investigation I discovered that the circuit for switching the solinod was giving 0 volts this means that the problem is at componant level and there's not a lot you can do except send it back. 

On an interesting note if you want to see it work, place a magnet around by the camera tripod insert at the bottom and you can see the filter working.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Bigbryandotcom wrote:

On an interesting note if you want to see it work, place a magnet around by the camera tripod insert at the bottom and you can see the filter working.

Hmmm. I wonder if that could be a useful troubleshooting step.  Can you describe in detail how you did that?

Boot879
Star
Star
I jumped through hoops with support but couldn't keep up with all of the requests for photos and info. Eventually I missed the requests for photos too many times due to being out of town. This is obviously a wide spread problem that Netgear only "fixes" if you hound them and pay shipping. I'll solve it by not buying more of their products in the future.
Tassie1
Initiate
Initiate

Installed new Arlo camera and had the same problem with the red tint. Turned the camera off and back on - no luck. Tried tapping camera on the sides - no luck. Tried a different approach, opened the battery lid and power down the camera. With the camera sitting on the face (lens) power up the camera and waited for the camera to activate - click live feed to get the night vision working. Slowly raise the camera off the bench until I heard the click, back to normal operation ( red tint fixed).   

wacoachrusso
Tutor
Tutor

This did the trick for me as well. Thanks

LMTMAN
Aspirant
Aspirant
In our opinion Newegg is THE worst followed by Arlo. I bought my wife a full body massage shiatsu chair and half of it wouldn't work. Newegg did nothing and we're still battling the 3rd party vendor. It Amex (God bless them) gave us a full $599 refund.

Back to Arlo. We had our batteries start to last three days, then the cameras dropped off all the time after working great for several months. We had Arlo log in remotely and could not fix the issue then they offered to replace ONE camera and only after I filed a complaint with the Pa State Attorney General Office Of Consumer Complaints did they replace the entire system (they fought us even though it was under warranty). Now, we've had the same pink tiny everyone is complaining about and we're read these posts and did everything recommended. We used to highly recommend Arlo but no more. We're ready to bite the bullet and toss this system and buy a competitor's system.
SamsBrambles
Initiate
Initiate

One of my cameras has had a red tint for a while. I just gave it a tapping on its backside onto a few cloths on the work top. It worked (for now) back in full colour.

tecnobrat
Initiate
Initiate

I had the same red tint problem as many people here, and I have come up with the CORRECT solution!

Its not a defective unit, you do not need to turn it off, reset it, or anything else.

The cause of this is because of the magnet on other units, when they are put close to the lense of another unit, they knock the IR filter out of alignment.  Its super easy to fix, simply grab another camera, place the back of that camera to the bottom of the lense on the "red tint" camera.  Voila! Fixed!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

FYI, it's not the magnet. I Have 3 year old cameras that don't do this.

ParrotHeadWNY
Aspirant
Aspirant

I agree, it is not the magnet. You got lucky with whatever you did fixing the problem. One of my cameras developed the infamous red tint while mounted on the wall. At the time it was no closer than 25 feet from another camera.

A while back I read somewhere that the tint was due to a red filter out of alignment. He stated that you had to send it back to the factory to be fixed. So I called the 800 number. After 10 minutes of going around in circles pushing keys I reached a young girl, whom I assume is just lovely, that I could barely hear let alone understand. The Philippines. It was obvious she was working from one of those association scripts as if I gave her a response that wasn't on her workbook, she hardly knew what to say. I have a camera that is less than 3 weeks old, it developed the red Tint. Like no one has ever brought this problem before. I won't list what she wanted me to try, then do with the camera BEFORE she would let me send it back. Three weeks old, it broke, replace it. If I did what she wanted, it would have cost too much in postage and time before I got it fixed. I then hit her with an H bomb. I told her just forget it. Give me the address and I will send it in and pay for the repairs. I just want a working camera. She had to talk to her supervisor. Neither of them knew what to tell me. If I followed the their original instructions they would see what they could do. I threw in the towel. I wish I had never seen this not made in USA company.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Part of your problem may be due to calling an 800 number. Netgear doesn't have one. Stop Googling for support when you can use the Contact Support link at the bottom here and again on the new page.

SWBOOBALA
Aspirant
Aspirant
PhoenixArtist
Aspirant
Aspirant

In reviewing daylight video of one camera in the front of the house, it appears "magenta" in color.  Anyone have this occur?

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Can you add a screenshot? It's a Pro 2 camera yeah? Is there direct sunstrike on the lens?

CLT83
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same issue. No solution provided by agent on the live chat. Simply troubleshooting camera which did not work. Any assistance greatly received.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You'll have to have an open case to get it replaced. Did the chat result in a case being opened? If not, contact again and get one going.

csmercado663
Initiate
Initiate

I have a pink screen and i think it is ridiculous the amount of hoops we have to jump through to be able to talk to real person for our support issues. please replace this less than 1 year old camera with a terrible pink screen. thank you very much. 

maurog1515
Aspirant
Aspirant

my HD Wireless Camera's Two are Great and Two show Pink color indoor and Red Out door.

Any suggestings before I Return?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

sounds like the IR filter is stuck...

you can pull the battery and see if that resets it...if it happens a second time return or warranty is needed... Up to u

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jeannuis
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi

my Arlo has a nasty color cast in red tint

I thought it was a white balance issue, hence my request for an add on of a whitebalance slider

but... it seems to be a IR filter issue.

It seems that an exchange of Netgear is possible

so Netgear? What to do?

Jean