Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
APGR
Tutor
Tutor

I have something really weird happening when I leave my camera on in my lounge at night. The room is totally dark and once set up I go to another room to take a look at the view I get. This obviously triggers the infrared. A number of times I have observed random white lights of different sizes moving around the room often in an erratic manner. It is really odd. Nothing in the community appears to have any topics in this so I'm puzzled. When I've tested the camera I have then recorded 20-30 sec clips and these lights are as clear as anything. Spooky! Someone please tell me these have a scientific reason and aren't something else. When I've showed the clips to friends they also think they're weird and can't think of anything that would cause they random lights whizzing around my room in total darkness which can't be seen with the naked eye. 

84 REPLIES 84
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Much more than likely it's random dust or other floating material that has varying IR reflection qualities. Normal air currents in the room can be exacerbated by A/C (or heat, depending on the season) causing the material to float around in random paths rather than straight down.  Having an open window not only adds air currents but also add additional material.

End result - random floating white spots.  Happens outdoors, too.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Agree 100%   .....  No ghosts, just dust !

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
APGR
Tutor
Tutor

I had thought they were dust particles but if you could see what they're like you would discount this immediately. First the variable speed of different lights and also some random movements which can't possibly be air currents in a room inside, at night with no wind at all. Seriously guys, this is more than weird. I will try and upload an example to YouTube and post it. 

APGR
Tutor
Tutor

Ok .Tell me how dust can behave like this. These are random movements with some slowing down and changing direction . See this One example I uploaded  http://youtu.be/2ni351MS1b4 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Dust.  That's all it is.  Air currents aren't linear and lightweight objects like dust perform exactly as seen in the video.  Guaranteed.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

which can't possibly be air currents in a room inside, at night with no wind at all. 

Any object that has a thermal mass from the day can give give off heat ( small as it may be ) at night and cause air currents.... there doesn't have to be any wind felt.... You've never seen dust particles dance in the sunlight beams before?

But if you what to think its ghosts, I don't want to spoil it for you.  🙂

Graham67
Tutor
Tutor
Small insects such as flies etc?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can generally tell when an insect goes by - the motion is different.  Dust, etc. is a slower, more random motion.

harveyj
Initiate
Initiate

i have had the same thing, however i have downloaded the video !

Just cant understand how this would be dust as it moves so quick ????

Graham67
Tutor
Tutor
The link you provided doesnt work, even if you take out the fullstop in http://youtu.be/2ni351MS1b4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The motion seems faster the closer it is to the lens. It could also be in the path of airflow - an open window, furnace duct, fan, etc.
AnderCam2016
Guide
Guide
It's dust. Plain and simple.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Nooooo, it's TINY ghosts !  🙂

Gymsiren
Tutor
Tutor

Hey, that is spirit...I'm catching crazy orbs on my camera on night vision. It's not dust. Trust me. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Give us a link to a video.

Gymsiren
Tutor
Tutor
https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/A71B3981B4A083CD

Have adder...this was yesterday morning when I was getting ready for work . I moved the camera for a different angle towards the end and the best orb is captured then. I have had so many once it actually disrupted the stream and wouldn't connect while my other cameras were fine. It's nuts! Let me know your thoughts. 😆
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's dust or other debris that is falling.  It's weird, I know, but...  I note that the camera is in B&W for low light level - I don't know for sure if the IR filter is in place but I'd kinda bet it is.  If that's true, it may be that these orbs are just reflecting more IR than visible light, making them stand out more.

Gymsiren
Tutor
Tutor

Well, let's agree to disagree. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Tiny spaceships landing?  🙂

mousepotato
Initiate
Initiate

I just discovered the same issue with my Arlo when it is in the night vision mode.  I have checked to make sure the heat and air are turned off.  Moved the camera to different points around the room.  Taken it into other rooms.  They are in all rooms except my office.  I posted 12 videos on youtube of this.  Could be dust but I've never seen dust behave this way?

Donger77
Initiate
Initiate
I just purchased 4 cameras 2 weeks ago. I have many strange orb pics from inside. Night vision mode. When I talk to them I get different reactions. This is not dust.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

How are you sure it's not dust/particles of some sort?  Post screenshots or a link to the video.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

your link didnt work for me but from what you describe i had similar with a competitor's cam in my shed.  looked nifty.  havent seen with my arlo yet though

mousepotato
Initiate
Initiate