Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

No more alert notifications from Net Arlo's iOS app on iPhones?

Discussion stats
ant
Mentor
Mentor

Hello.

My family has both iPad and iPhone 6 Pluses installed with iOS v8.1.3 and Netgear Arlo (since 2/25/2015 night PST) apps. iPhones used show notification alerts from these installed apps before I turned off the base station yesterday morning, with its power button, for maintenance work on the physical home (too many e-mails and app alerts!).

After several hours, I physically powered it back on, iPhones no longer get Arlo apps' notifications. However, iPad's app gets the notifications. E-mailed alert notifications worked though. The weird part is that iPad never got these alerts before I powered off and on the base station. Only iPhones did. Now, it is reversed! Family member uses the same The "Friends" account, with full administrator access, under my primary account that I made when setting up Arlo if that matters.

What's wrong? We tried rebooting Netgear Arlo's base station through its web site, logging off and in again, checked settings online and in iOS apps, uninstalling and reinstalling apps in iPhones, etc.

Thank you in advance.

88 REPLIES 88
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

App or email? App needs to be set for the application itself. In the phone Settings, look at the Arlo app and ensure the notifications are enabled. For email, look at the rules and see if there's an email address enabled and that emails are enabled. Be sure too save at each step.

DigitalDad
Aspirant
Aspirant

As of this post I too am not getting push notifications. Emails are coming through. All settings are correct (I am not a novice at this. iOS settings are also correct). This is definitely a bug if so many people are having this issue. And as for the Netgear employee that chimed in, if you fixed it why isnt there an update for the app? You cant fix something that isnt working on local networks without pushing an update so what did you think you fix?

Fasrcare
Tutor
Tutor
My push notices worked fine for about 1 week then suddenly Stopped! Tried all the usual - reboot net gear reboot iPhone and app nothing - get them in email but the alerts on phone dead! Is there a solution?
Fasrcare
Tutor
Tutor
Did not correct anything
Joekewl415
Guide
Guide
Yes I love it ... Listen to your customers arlo... You're getting ripped in the forum... So do something about it what ever coding or update you have to run by all means please do bc I was to by 2 yes 2 more cameras so don't let your paying customers down
jgandhi19
Aspirant
Aspirant

My push notifications were turned off also after the "upgrade," however after turning them back on I've now discovered ANOTHER issue.  When I receive an alert for motion detected, my app badge randomly assigns a number to it. 

For example, I had no saved videos tonight, which meant my app badge had nothing next to it (no numbers).  I received a single push notification for motion detected.  After unlocking my phone, my "newly updated" arlo app badge had the number 7 next to it, which should signify 7 new notifications.  When I open the app and go to my library, I only have one video available.  This has happened several times.

I have an iPhone 6plus on iOS 9.2 with Arlo app 2.0.0.  Netgear, I sure hope you're taking notes.

sbcrockett
Guide
Guide

Just started NOT getting push notifications on either of my phones today. Getting email, all settings triple checked. How about some confirmation from Arlo/Netgear that something is wrong?!

I'm with the previous post about purchasing additional cameras. In fact I was just going to sign up for the subscription service...think I'll hold off until they get this fixed now.

PLEASE  either make this right or revert back to the old version. The buttons were better and I wasn't seeing duplicate cameras in Rules.

djkant
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have also lost iPhone/iPad push notifications over the past 3-4 days.  I've made sure notifications settings have been turned on my iOS devices and have even deleted the Arlo app and reinstalled to see if this would fix the problem.  I don't belive this is user error.  Please advise.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Don't forget to check the rules to ensure that notifications are on.  It used to be all on or off - now it's on a per camera basis.  Be sure to save on the way out.

sbcrockett
Guide
Guide

thanks Jguerdat! Your post prompted me to look a little deeper at the modes. If you go into the mode you're currently using (which is the default "all motion on") and click on the mode, you should see an "edit" pencil for iOs or  lines/dots for Android. Clicking on that edit link will show all your cameras, and another bank of edit pencils/dots. Clicking on each edit link one at a time, scroll to the bottom of the screen and you'll probably find "Push notifications" turned off. Mine were. Turn them on and save each camera individually BEFORE going back to the other camera screen. This is important! You must save each individual change for the camera your editing before you return to the camera list on the previous screen.

Now, how and why those were turned off several days after the new software rollout is beyond me! Both of my phones were working fine with Push for almost a week and then, for some reason were not!

Coincidentally, I think that Arlo is watching this issue because shortly after my first post yesterday evening, I received an email with Tips and Tricks for the new app. Which I do appreciate. I just wish that their new rollout didn't monkey with my settings that were working just fine beforehand.

Happy monitoring! 🙂

Fasrcare
Tutor
Tutor

Try this for iPhone Push Notifications not working--

1- Open Arlo app on your phone

2-Go to MODE

3-press " All Motion on"> Pencil icon

4-Go to  "All Motion on" and press

5- Go to each of your Camera ID and hit the Pencil icon

6- Scroll to the "Push Notification" and  check it

Do this with each of your camera ID , so that each will send a "push notification"

PS: don't forget to check "Settings" on your Iphone, scroll to ARLO and "Allow Notications"  as well.

Hope this helps!

djkant
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you guys!  This worked!  These were settings that changed after the update.

cmoracin
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same problem on my iPhone.  It started when I upgraded the arlo app on my phone.  The notifications were working fine with the previous version on the iPhone.   I checked notifications settings on the phone and they are set to on.  What is the problem? 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

cmoracin,

With the most recent Arlo update, push notifications became camera specific. Have you checked your camera rules to make sure push notifications are active for each camera? You can find this setting by navigating to Modes, clicking the pencil icon for your active mode and then clicking edit to change the desired rule. You'll find the option to enable or disable push notifications within then rule.

JamesC

Jneelyenterpris
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am not receiving push alerts. What should I do?
sbcrockett
Guide
Guide

Um, you can start by reading posts 35 and 36 above. There have been several folks that these steps have solved their issue. Hopefully they'll work for you guys too!

Good Luck 🙂

vb2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello, I am not getting notifications on my IOS 9.2 devices(iphone 5s and 6) since last 3 days. I have checked device settings and 'Arlo' app is enabled for notifications. Tried restarting base station, log-out login but its still the same.Can someone please help?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

See the post above yours.  You need to ensure notifications are enabled.  Mode tab, choose system, edit mode(s) and turn notifications on.

jarbot
Aspirant
Aspirant

Push notifications are still not working on iOS on my iPhone.  Everything is set up correctly to send them, but there is clearly a bug on Arlo's side that is incompatible with the latest iOS version and latest update from AT&T.  Please fix this!

sbcrockett
Guide
Guide

hi jarbot,

what iOS are you running? I think you should try turning OFF push notifications, saving and then try turning them ON again. That did the trick on one of my cameras that stopped working one day (just one camera).

While I have noticed a couple buggy things with the latest update, the push notifications getting to your phone has been pretty good, at least for me. I've got two cameras that won't let me add my email address to the notification list. When I click the green plus button to add it, the field just goes blank and it never shows up.

Don't give up! 🙂

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try the browser. App issues can sometimes be worked around that way.

CYogi
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Push notifications still do not work.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
What have you tried to enable them? There's two places - app settings for the phone as well as enabling notifications in your rules.
Sherriamc
Aspirant
Aspirant
This worked, thank you.
Fasrcare wrote:

Try this for iPhone Push Notifications not working--

1- Open Arlo app on your phone

2-Go to MODE

3-press " All Motion on"> Pencil icon

4-Go to  "All Motion on" and press

5- Go to each of your Camera ID and hit the Pencil icon

6- Scroll to the "Push Notification" and  check it

Do this with each of your camera ID , so that each will send a "push notification"

PS: don't forget to check "Settings" on your Iphone, scroll to ARLO and "Allow Notications"  as well.

Hope this helps!

Stuge
Aspirant
Aspirant

Push notifications to iPhone iOS 7.1.2 not working now.  Arlo has been working brilliantly since installation several months ago.  I have checked each camera setting in both the iOS app and also web interface to confirm that push notifications are on as well as email notifications.  The emails are being sent, but not push alerts.  iOS settings reviewed and nothing has changed except for the automatic Arlo app upgrades.  Only using the 1 main account for monitoring and alerts.

Come on Arlo, this is a key feature of the product and needs to be fixed.  Arlo was a breeze to setup with all features working out of the box and that is part of the joy of this product. If this feature isn't remedied, the product no longer does what I need.  Help!