Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
OceanLC
Follower
Follower

I will be mounting this in a carport at the beach.  What installation options are there so the unit is secure and won't get stolen.  The magnetic mount and plugable system doesn't look secure for outside.

121 REPLIES 121
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

They can only block the serial number of a BASE unit.... once it is assignd to an account.

The cameras can not be locked as they will sync to any valid base

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Correct me if I'm wrong but the camera can only be synced to one base at a time, right?  A stolen camera shouldn't be removed from the base to prevent it from being utilized elsewhere.

Tracking would be a Good Thing to add.

BB2017
Aspirant
Aspirant
My cameras are still in my system. I did not remove them. However the neighbor was able to sink one of the cameras to his system. I can see the camera, but cannot access it. So anyone can still the camera, use it, abd get way with the crime.
BB2017
Aspirant
Aspirant
I do not know how to put a picutre here.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
When you're typing a reply, use the toolbar just above the text box. There's an icon that looks like a mountain and sun/moon which you use to attach images.
manfredz
Hero
Hero

i always thought a cam can be linked to only 1 base station, so even if they were stolen, how could the thief link them to another base station if they were still linked to yours?

ranran
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well, this is an interesting situation.  I am curious how the cameras could have been 'de-registered.  A simple battery swap couldn't explain this, because the camera continues to stay registered, correct?  You'd have to log onto the account through a browser and specifically remove the camera before it would be available for syncing to another base station........ so this is kind of weird....

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

No... the cams will sync to ANY base...Only the Base units are locked to an account via serial number.

yes a camera CAN ONLY be sync to one base at a time, but if you pull the battereis in effect you are resetting it, and it will loose sync, there is no locking of a camera in the Arlo series that use a base unit

If I steal a camera from someone, it's no issue to resync it to another base unit

BB2017
Aspirant
Aspirant
Well my does give me an option to post a pictures.

TomMac is right. However the camera is still in my system.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I dunno, Tom. Losing sync is one thing, being able to sync to another while still active on the original base seems far-fetched. JamesC has verified this.
BB2017
Aspirant
Aspirant
Ranran the cameras were pretty low, reacheable, on magnet. It was there since Nov 2015.
BB2017
Aspirant
Aspirant
Well as I understand the camera is sinked to the thiefs base but it still in my system, not sinked to my base. That is why I do not have access to it, but I can see it
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't think this is possible but open a case with support.

BB2017
Aspirant
Aspirant
I did open. They could not help.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

This was just tested by another user.....

He took a camera from ONE base unit , did not delete it, pulled battery.

Took it to another base unit with different account info ( email/login ) and it synced up and it is working fine.

But I do find it VERY odd that the above user would still be able to see the camera unless in range and/or he's pulling from the library.

ranran
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wow.  So easy.  I can't believe someone could so easily do that.....sounds like a new firmware feature is needed to lock a unit to a base station to prevent this theft/reuse problem.

Glad all my cameras are either mounted high or at least partially tamper-proof......

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

BB2017 wrote:
Well as I understand the camera is sinked to the thiefs base but it still in my system, not sinked to my base. That is why I do not have access to it, but I can see it

Are you seeing the static shot from the live view screen ?  This may be normal as its stored in the base unit and the cam was not deleted.

Or are you seeing live/changing video?

BB2017
Aspirant
Aspirant
Tom Mac yes the camera is in range that is why I see it.
BB2017
Aspirant
Aspirant
Tom Mac I see only the last shot when my camera was stolen, which is the arm of the thief. I cannot access the camera on live view. I was not able to send a picture, maybe is my level here is not permitting.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

BB2017 wrote:
Tom Mac yes the camera is in range that is why I see it.

you actually see live video ?

If this was the case and someone took my cam

1) its 300 ft and you should be able to locate it

2) I'd run it 24/7 and burn up the batteries and a screen shot

3)if on ac, at least get a screen shot of who has it to file a police report as if they are that close you would reconized them

EDIT

OK ...you are ONLY seeing the last STATIC shot of the camera...this is (tmk )stored in the base and will stay there forever ( as i see it on some devices with old cams )

BB2017
Aspirant
Aspirant
No, I do not see live video
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

BB2017 wrote:
No, I do not see live video

The camera could be in a diff state and you'd still see the last picture it took from a trigger event ( it will remain untill it gets updated by anoth trigger or live view )