Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Mounting securely outside so it doesn't get stolen...

Discussion stats
OceanLC
Follower
Follower

I will be mounting this in a carport at the beach.  What installation options are there so the unit is secure and won't get stolen.  The magnetic mount and plugable system doesn't look secure for outside.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

There have been a few posts about this....

Netgear says add-ons ( mounts, etc ) are in the works.

But any camera mount with a standard screw mount will function with Arlo. There are amny models out that are tamper resistant.

see; https://community.netgear.com/t5/Installation/Mounting-options-for-my-Arlo-camera/m-p/76/highlight/t...

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

121 REPLIES 121
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

There have been a few posts about this....

Netgear says add-ons ( mounts, etc ) are in the works.

But any camera mount with a standard screw mount will function with Arlo. There are amny models out that are tamper resistant.

see; https://community.netgear.com/t5/Installation/Mounting-options-for-my-Arlo-camera/m-p/76/highlight/t...

4vrnvr
Apprentice
Apprentice

OceanLC wrote:

I will be mounting this in a carport at the beach.  What installation options are there so the unit is secure and won't get stolen.  The magnetic mount and plugable system doesn't look secure for outside.

I am not sure there is a good way to ensure the camera can't be stolen as whatever you use will probably utilize screws and the camera tripod thread. All you can probably do is make it a little more difficult that having it pulled off of the magnetic mount. I am using this mount and you could also utilize tamper resistant screws, but again they could still unscrew it from the tripod mount. 

Greg

http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Security-Adjustable-Universal-Mounting/dp/B000IDCDZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=U...

jeff
Star
Star

You can use something like this. 

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31IgAhxWZjL.jpg

Sigdriver
Tutor
Tutor

This may be of interest to those needing additional mounting options.  I just purchased 5 of this Panavise 845-246W Deluxe Micro Mount (Cream) at Amazon and installed 2 of them today and very happy with the quality and ability to make adajustments.  Check them out.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

What about third parties from local stores like Fry's Electronics, Best Buy, Costco, Walmart, Target, Office Depot, Staples, Office Max, Radio Shack, etc.? Thank you in advance.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

ant wrote:

What about third parties from local stores .......

Any camera mount with the standard screw thread mount will function

ant
Mentor
Mentor

TomMac wrote:

ant wrote:

What about third parties from local stores .......

Any camera mount with the standard screw thread mount will function

Thanks. Any good known ones from local retail stores?

jayats
Aspirant
Aspirant

So the screwmount is not secure as someone can simply unscrew the camera.  So in my opinion, the solution is to get a screw mount and use locktite red:  

Loctite® Threadlocker Red 271™ is designed for the permanent locking and sealing of threaded fasteners. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces. It protects threads from rust and corrosion and prevents loosening from shock and vibration. It is only removable once cured by heating up parts to 500°F (260°C).

You would have to be careful how you mount it so that you could access the battery compartment and still be able to change the batteries.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/t_lkr_red/overview/Loctite-Threadlocker-Red-271.htm

jayats
Aspirant
Aspirant

Please see my post below (or above)  about usinge locktite red - had the same concerns....

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I've tried 3 different screw mounts and 2 made it so the camera had to be removed to open the battery door....

Also, anything can be stolen and the locktight won't matter if they rip the bracket out.

So, I really don't RED locktight is a good idea. But If you think its good for you then by all means go for it.

I still think the best solution is to place it where its not easily accessable ...

jayats
Aspirant
Aspirant

That is a really good point - the bracket and the arlo arrive tomorrow - will see - also there is an issue with plastic and red locktite - they are not compatible - so the attatchment point on the arlo has to be metal .....will see tomorrow.....

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

....with plastic and red locktite - they are not compatible - so the attatchment point on the arlo has to be metal .....will see tomorrow.....

I believe the threaded insert for the camera is metal...  but remember since it's a insert it can prob snap off too.

R_Lowe
Luminary
Luminary

Yes, the magnetic mount is a (security) joke, a stand-alone threaded mount (which I use) only means someone needs to unscrew the camera, and Lock-Tite can be defeated with a modicum of effort.  But really, when does it stop?  Will we be putting bars on our windows next or walking down the street with helmets?  At some point we have to advance a little inherent trust and can only make things as safe as fate allows.  Beyond that, if somebody wants to do the unthinkable, not much is going to stop him or her.  Until we accept this we'll just be subjecting ourselves to unrelenting worry and premature gray hair.

jayats
Aspirant
Aspirant

Locktite doesn't appear to be a viable solution due to the limited battery compartment access needed.  I think the idea here was to try to find a viable solution to deture theft of the camera - like locking ones car - but that may have flown over your premature grey head.

R_Lowe wrote:

Yes, the magnetic mount is a (security) joke, a stand-alone threaded mount (which I use) only means someone needs to unscrew the camera, and Lock-Tite can be defeated with a modicum of effort.  But really, when does it stop?  Will we be putting bars on our windows next or walking down the street with helmets?  At some point we have to advance a little inherent trust and can only make things as safe as fate allows.  Beyond that, if somebody wants to do the unthinkable, not much is going to stop him or her.  Until we accept this we'll just be subjecting ourselves to unrelenting worry and premature gray hair.

jayats
Aspirant
Aspirant

So it arrived - I realized that the battery compartment would be unaccessable with the mount I bought.  Locktite turns out not to be an answer........at least for me

R_Lowe
Luminary
Luminary

jayats wrote:

Locktite doesn't appear to be a viable solution due to the limited battery compartment access needed.  I think the idea here was to try to find a viable solution to deture theft of the camera - like locking ones car - but that may have flown over your premature grey head.

I wasn't advocating the use of Lock-Tite, and was commenting solely on the futility of worrying needlessly (it's a forum and you can expect folks to comment along those lines).  So MY head (or hair) isn't gray because of it.  You seem to have missed my point entirely; but if I have to explain it further, I'm sure you wouldn't understand.

jeff_757
Star
Star

I have had some good luck using a Kensington slot adapter and a standard cable lock. I can post more pictures and info if anyone is interested.

IMG_1498.JPG

jayats
Aspirant
Aspirant

Your image did not appear 😞 

jeff_757 wrote:

I have had some good luck using a Kensington slot adapter and a standard cable lock. I can post more pictures and info if anyone is interested.

IMG_1498.JPG

jeff_757
Star
Star

Odd..  I see the picture in my post and in your reply.  Is anyone else having a problem viewing the picture?

ant
Mentor
Mentor

jeff_757 wrote:

Odd..  I see the picture in my post and in your reply.  Is anyone else having a problem viewing the picture?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/362iF17BF0A96D303E35/image-size/medium?v=... doesn't show for me either. I wonder if it is only showing for the owner?

jeff_757
Star
Star

Should I be choosing 'Public Album' or 'Private Album' when inserting a picture?  I have added it to this post as a smaller image to see if that makes any difference.

IMG_1498.JPG

jeff_757
Star
Star

The pictures seem to load in IE but not Firefox or Chrome

ant
Mentor
Mentor

jeff_757 wrote:

The pictures seem to load in IE but not Firefox or Chrome

Same problem in my very old, Windows XP Pro SP3's IE8. 😞

Public of course! Private to you only!