Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Lonnie
Tutor
Tutor

I was wondering if anyone knew how the live streaming works. It appears that it goes through Netgear servers and then to the phone/computer.

I can be at home, logged into the same wireless network as the base station (and cameras obviously), and try to stream video. Sometimes it fails. Sometimes it works. I click on the play button to start viewing. It gives me the rotating circle with "Please Wait." After about 30 seconds, if it fails, the circle disappears and the play button pops back on the image. I can try this several times and eventually I might get a live streaming video.

If it does go through the Netgear servers first, 1) they are using a lot of bandwidth on their end for all the users that watch their cameras and 2) they are using up a lot of bandwidth on my end as well (video has to go out and then back in). If it does not go through their servers first, why is watching live video a hit or miss type of action?

34 REPLIES 34
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I can only speak of my experience but when I have issues like that I log out and back in which clears my display issue. That may well not work for anyone else but I give it several seconds to work give up and start the refreshed login. Doesn't help you now but try it when this happens again. Also, try the app or browser, whichever you're not using.

Krocket
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just installed an Arlo Pro and the live streaming and audio are useless.  There is perhaps a 30-60 s lag in the video and the audio breaks up on one direction or the other.  Is this due ti the relatively low bandwidth of my DSL (about 3 Mbs)?

Krocket
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just installed an Arlo Pro and the live streaming and audio are useless.  There is perhaps a 30-60 s lag in the video and the audio breaks up on one direction or the other.  Is this due ti the relatively low bandwidth of my DSL (about 3 Mbs)?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Is that your down or up speed? It's the upload speed that's most important. 1Mbs is the minimum - more is potentially better.
Krocket
Aspirant
Aspirant
Good point - I think I see about 3 mbs download, and upload is right at or a bit below 1 mbs - time to finally upgrade my home internet, I would say.
grogerson
Initiate
Initiate

Cameras

Firmware: 1.2.10342

Harware Ver.: H7

Base Station

Firmware: 1.8.1.1_10234

Hardware: VMB3010r2

Internet: 250Mbps down\50Mbps up... usullay tests at around 180\40 even at peak times. 

Router: Asus RT-AC87U with 3.0.0.4.380.4180 Firmware. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm on my second base station... First one died at about 6 months... RMA'd it and received this unit. 

I experience the same symptoms as the original thread post in 2015. When I click the "Live" button it says "please wait", then the Live button appears again 30-40 seconds later. This is true in IE, Edge, Chrome, the Android App on my Wife's phone and the iOS app on my iPhone. 

I get alerts in my email that motion has been dectected, and I can view recordings of these alerts, so the cameras are functioning in some capacity, BUT I can not see them live... This kinda makes them useless... I've been so disappointed... I had to argue and fight with the support team to get them to believe me that the issues I had with my previous unit were not with my network or internet connection. 

I hope someone has a solution... If this level of failure and unreliability is the norm with Arlo, then I'm cutting my losses on super expensive batteries and flaky tech and getting Nest cams. Very disappointed. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Power cycling the base is a good first step. Then, are all your devices up to date firmware-wise? Last, it may be a good time to reset the base by removing all devices in Settings, My Devices and start fresh. I don't have an explanation but it's possible something just got stupid.
grogerson
Initiate
Initiate

jguerdat wrote:
Power cycling the base is a good first step. Then, are all your devices up to date firmware-wise? Last, it may be a good time to reset the base by removing all devices in Settings, My Devices and start fresh. I don't have an explanation but it's possible something just got stupid.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have power cycled the system (several times), I believe all my devices are up to date firmware wise. 

I haven't deleted everything, because the last time I did that, at the Support Teams Request, the base unit wouldn't recognize any of my cameras. That started the argument about it being somenthing in my network causing the issue. 

I think this was just a very expensive mistake on my part... I give up. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

grogerson,

From your post above, it looks like your system is on up to date firmware. I recommend contacting the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

LovelyNot
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just FYI:

I have exactly the same issue. Live viewing simply times out with a return of the [Live] button, never works.

I've thus far not seen one serious technical response from netgear on this. It's a huge mistake also on my end to buy these crappy cloud-cams.

Should have never bought the 3 cams and expensive batteries.

It's not my internet-connectivity (it's among the best and fastest in the world, for consumer-connections), it's not my version of OS or outdated firmware (all up to date). It's not even flash (it works fine for other flash/swf playable sites/videos).

My advice:

Buy Foscam, Uniden or Axis cameras. All of which I have over 2 decades experience with where I have been employed over the years. Those are true security cameras. Never failed on us once. They last for years without one failure, have very well tested and secure interfaces, stable software and reliable motion detection. Only one hurdle: They need power over ethernet or otherwise cabled power.