Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Live Streaming

Discussion stats
Lonnie
Tutor
Tutor

I was wondering if anyone knew how the live streaming works. It appears that it goes through Netgear servers and then to the phone/computer.

I can be at home, logged into the same wireless network as the base station (and cameras obviously), and try to stream video. Sometimes it fails. Sometimes it works. I click on the play button to start viewing. It gives me the rotating circle with "Please Wait." After about 30 seconds, if it fails, the circle disappears and the play button pops back on the image. I can try this several times and eventually I might get a live streaming video.

If it does go through the Netgear servers first, 1) they are using a lot of bandwidth on their end for all the users that watch their cameras and 2) they are using up a lot of bandwidth on my end as well (video has to go out and then back in). If it does not go through their servers first, why is watching live video a hit or miss type of action?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Sorry to say that if your base station is running sw version 1.4.2627 you are probably going to have this problem until Netgear wakes up and realizes that this new software version is bricking their customers systems. I had a perfectly working system until this update was forced to me three days ago. I am experiencing the same problems as you and than some. Take a look at the big post about this issue in this forum

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34
Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Sorry to say that if your base station is running sw version 1.4.2627 you are probably going to have this problem until Netgear wakes up and realizes that this new software version is bricking their customers systems. I had a perfectly working system until this update was forced to me three days ago. I am experiencing the same problems as you and than some. Take a look at the big post about this issue in this forum

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Yup, with this new firmware they've just released, a lot of us, or in this case as far as I know there's about 4 of us

now that's having this issue.. I'm sure there will be a lot more coming out and cursing about this.. Coz' I can live

with other glitches with this system but not this hit and miss recording.. Totally defeats the purpose of this system..

swenning
Guide
Guide

I have just installed a new system and have the firmware version mentioned.  My live streaming does not work,  I can only take current snapshots of the view.  Is there an anticipated time for correction, or do I need to return this system for my money back?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If snapshots work I can't imagine live streaming doesn't. What device/OS and what browser, if appropriate? What other methods have you tried?

swenning
Guide
Guide

Windows 8.1 on an HP adobe flash is integrated into the browser, so not able to download update that netgear support told me I needed to do in order to view live streaming.

swenning
Guide
Guide

Maybe I am going at it wrong.  Where do I go to see the live video stream?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

swenning wrote:

Maybe I am going at it wrong.  Where do I go to see the live video stream?

Using any interface, go to Cameras and click on the arrow in the middle of the camera you want to watch.  That starts live streaming.  Use the pause (double bar) icon to turn it off.

bmherold
Guide
Guide

Has there been a followup to this? Would love to know if there are plans to address this because the long wait from app load to viewing live view in a camera is pretty ridiculous (read: slow) at the moment. I'm running the following versions.

FW Version: 1.4.2695
HW Version: VMB3010r2
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bmherold,

The speed at which the app loads is based on the network you are connected to. For example, it may be slower on a 3g/4g connection.  That being said our Dev team is aware of some inconsistency with the live stream load times and are working to find a resolution which will be provided in a future release.

Thank you!

JamesC

cayvman
Tutor
Tutor

JamesC,

Just received and installed Arlo (upgraded from VueZone). The quality of the images is great, however, the time lag when you want to live stream is very slow. There is approximately a 7 second delay from the time I hit the play icon till the video streams. With Vuezone it was instantaneous. What is possibly causing this lag? Is it my set up or the firmware mentioned earlier?

Joe

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Just received and installed Arlo (upgraded from VueZone). The quality of the images is great, however, the time lag when you want to live stream is very slow.

Joe,

the first things to check is if your 'new' system have the current software.  Many due to stock life have an older version.

The latest versions are cam - 1.2.2688 and base - 1.4.2695

Chk locations SETTINGS/BASE STATION SETTINGS   and    SETTINGS/CAMERA SETTINGS/pick camera, look at bottom of right page

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Swammy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having some of the same issue.  My cameras and base station are up to date on software.  My issue is when trying to view live from a PC I would get "failed to connect" or similar message.  On our phones it works fine, but with about that 7 second lag that youy guys talked about.  Am I having the same issue or is it different from what you were saying?

TomMac wrote:

Just received and installed Arlo (upgraded from VueZone). The quality of the images is great, however, the time lag when you want to live stream is very slow.

Joe,

the first things to check is if your 'new' system have the current software.  Many due to stock life have an older version.

The latest versions are cam - 1.2.2688 and base - 1.4.2695

Chk locations SETTINGS/BASE STATION SETTINGS   and    SETTINGS/CAMERA SETTINGS/pick camera, look at bottom of right page

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Swammy wrote:

I am having some of the same issue.  My cameras and base station are up to date on software.  My issue is when trying to view live from a PC I would get "failed to connect" or similar message.  On our phones it works fine, but with about that 7 second lag that youy guys talked about.  Am I having the same issue or is it different from what you were saying?

If it's playing right without delay on your phone BUT NOT the PC, I would suspect the browser... there have been updates to the most common browser lately with reguards to flash, extensions . 

I would first try another  browser from the supported list and see if anything changes.
  • Internet Explorer 10 or higher
  • Firefox 3.5 or higher
  • Safari 3 or higher (Except on Windows and Linux)
  • Chrome
Morse is faster than texting!
Arlouserhere
Tutor
Tutor

Just bought one yesterday. Video quality is below acceptable even when streaming through the same network, which is obviously unexpected considering the pricetag (costiest of all) and "HD/High-definition" labels outside the box.

Using FW Version 1.4.2695 / HW Version VMB3010r2, video source is the smallest possible (433 x 244 or so?), which makes it look very pixelated if scaled up just bit. Automatic night-vision that can't be turned off is also a big down. Why no such option? Not to mention it kicks in even when there's enough light. So far, the quality of static or moving things is comparable to the lowest end webcams available for years now.

Other than that, I was very pleased with the smooth setup and overall design/product quality.

The video quality doesn't make me dislike the product so far, but in the end, stream/image quality is what really matters, and I'm sure I paid a very premium for my choice.

Netgear, please add an option to close that "See more cameras here" banner at the console.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Again, setting expectation properly is needed.  720p is only slightly less than 1 megapixel.  Even at "best quality" it ain't gonna be crisp and clear when magnified. And then there's the amount of compression to reduce file size and data transfer speeds.  Add in the fact that it's a wide angle lens that requires zooming in to hopefully see details and you end up with only just so much the system can provide. HD is not high quality - it's just better than it used to be.  Even 4k is only a modest improvement compared to what even cellphones can provide for stills...

Anthonynixon42
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have two cameras neither of which will live stream- what do I have to do to get the cameras to work. They are sending my mobile messages that they dtect movement but that is all. If this problem is not fixed by tomorrow I will take the whole thing back to the supplier as isit is not fit for purpose.

Nick

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Anthonynixon42,

I have a few questions that might point us toward the cause. What client are you using to view the cameras (browser or app)? Are you getting any kind of error message when attempting to live stream? Is this occurring on multiple devices?

JamesC

Fast_Freddy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James I have the same issue with a brand new system. Using windows 10 on one computer or windows xp professional on another, both thru internet explorer I cannot view live.  base 1.7.0_4546  cameras all 1.2.2688   If you can tell me how to make that work I would appreciate it very much.   Thank You   Fred

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

On a computer its almost always a Flash issue. Is Flash installed and the latest version?

GaryJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

When I click "Live" on a camera on the website how long does the camera stay on?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Thirty minutes max. Wears out the batteries quickly.

GaryJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes I was afraid of that. I guess I need to get in the habit of hitting pause after a look.  Is any battery power being used if all detection is off and pause is on?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A slightly different answer - there's virtually no battery usage if not recording or live viewing. Motion detection does not have to be off, just nothing being recorded.

JustLearning
Apprentice
Apprentice
I heard what sounded like someone upstairs when nobody was meant to be there, set the Arlo battery camera to live stream and there was a delay, another camera's image appeared on that camera for a few moments and after a circle timer for a while a static image appeared of the room I expected. I was unable to zoom etc, the controls apart from pause were greyed out. Decided to check, went upstairs, danced in full view of the camera while watching the so called 'live stream' for several minutes: I did not appear on the feed. The image I was looking at was static. I went downstairs, started examining the settings further, heard more movement upstairs, then someone in the street walk 2 doors down apparently appearing from the building next door but no sound of doors & went into a building probably 2 doors down, possibly 3. How would it be possible to do this and how do I prevent it? The police are aware but say they are unable to do anything without photographic evidence!