Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
waltster65
Follower
Follower

NOTHING has changed. My base unit and my cameras are all in the same place that they have been in for at least two years. The amount of usage has not changed. NOTHING has changed. When I first installed the ARLO cameras two years ago my batteries would easily last 4-6 months. Earlier this summer the batteries started draining much faster. Now I am down to one week. Seriously, I changed the batteries last weekend in two cameras and they are now dead. What gives? As best as I can tell the firmware is up-to-date (1.2.11810)

81 REPLIES 81
manfredz
Hero
Hero

Assuming your cams are not on the blink and your batteries are good, first thing I would suspect is something is interfering with the wifi signal between cams and base station.  If you've added nothing physically between them, have you added anything to your household that uses wifi?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What are the LEDs on the base showing? It might be worth resetting the system and start fresh.  Remove everything from Settings, My Devices.  Use the Add Device button in the Devices tab and add the base. Sync the cameras.  While a PITA, it can clear up weirdnesses like this.

Of course, it could just be a hardware failure, perhaps of the base.

andranikk
Initiate
Initiate

I'm having the same exact problem.. started about a month ago after a couple of years of no issues.  My settings are the same, only record 10 seconds.  It only recorded a few times before the batteries drained.  

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

andranikk,

What kind of batteries are you using?

JamesC

andranikk
Initiate
Initiate
I solved my problem. I moved my base unit from the ground behind the sofa up to the window sill. And the batteries now show full power and they don't drain. So in fact the batteries were not draining., but the app thought they were and was showing it at 5% life.
Msc12
Initiate
Initiate
Having same issue with my five Camera system .
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And have you read the FAQs on positioning, etc. as well as tried the various possible solutions as posted many times in the threads here? What have you tried? What are the WiFi strength indicators showing? What is the straight line path for the WiFi signals between the base and cameras?

alganon
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am having battery drain problems too . The batteries don't actually seem to be draining but the system says they are and shuts down the cameras . This started 1-2 months ago , they were working fine and nothing has changed re placement or anything else . Four cameras all within 10 feet of base , two inside van two outside . I drive 20 miles and drudge through 4 foot deep snow for 700 ft. to get to them , change the batteries , bring them home to find that they are still at 3.9 volts . I'm using Olight rechargeables and they have been working fine for ~ 1 yr (except for a leaking camera , failed base and red tint). I tried using OEM non-rechargeables and same thing . One camera only lasted 12 hrs. with two 10 second test videos . 

I've contacted support (which doesn't) and received the same (24) questions from different people every time . 

Have they update the firmware and screwed something up and told support to keep all the victims busy with stupid questions till they find a fix ?

Coryvette
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo camera:

HW VersionH7
Serial Number48B2547X2FBBB
Firmware1.2.16720

Yes, same problem.  Although, my firmware version is older (haven't updated since camera dies too quickly).
I have flopped the "bad" camera to my position A (close) and put the "good" camera into position B (far).
The "good" camera works fine and does not drain the battery, while the "bad" camera still drains the battery quickly.
So, it is not a distance issue or a router base issue.  The "bad" camera still drains the battery quickly regardless of distance from the base station.  
   I had a previous problem with one of my cameras and the only solution was to replace the camera.  Arlo did this and I was greatful for their customer support.  I get the feeling that the same issue is happening now and again, they don't want to admit to a technical problem with the gear.  (previous problem was camera was constantly detecting motion that wasn't there and draining the battery life way to quick. The only solution was to replace the camera which, immediately solved the issue).  What's the answer now Arlo???
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

FWIW, old firmware can cause all manner of issues. Fast battery drain could be one of the symptoms.

Coryvette
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ok, "could be", is enough to update.  I'll try that and update

thread when I've monitored the results.

Thank you, for now

alganon
Apprentice
Apprentice
Mine seem to have healed now . I received an update to the app and since then they're good again . I still think they tell the (un) support staff to keep the victims busy with all sorts of repetitive testing till they find a fix . Don't ever admit there's a problem their end , it must be the moron users fault .

Did you check the batteries to see if they were actually dead ? Mine weren't they were fully  charged but the camera said they were dead and shut itself down .
Coryvette
Apprentice
Apprentice
No I didn't. I'm concerned that the voltage read won't necessarily be indicative of the battery life but, good idea. I will check. Also, no software update has occurred in the 24 hour period that it is suppose happen within. Also, support states go to device info and there's an update firmware there. Well, guess what, there isn't. Lol
Coryvette
Apprentice
Apprentice
Ok so, no software update has occurred in the 24 hour period that it is suppose to happen within. Also, support states go to device info and there's an "update firmware" there. Well, guess what, there isn't. Lol
biteme8477
Initiate
Initiate

Beginning to regret purchasing Arlo wireless cameras. Maybe a negative review on Amazon will get them to fix their products. I have a camera that is draining the battery in less than 12 hours. It will no longer sync. I have changed locations. I have tried two different sets of batteires.  For the price they are charging, this is ridiculous.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

biteme8477,

If the camera is not synced to the base station, this could be the reason the battery is depleting as the camera is searching for the base.

What behavior are you seeing when attempting to sync the camera to the base station (what happens with you press and release the sync button on the camera)?

JamesC

Coryvette
Apprentice
Apprentice
Syncing is never an issue. I'm so far beyond that stage. I have done every check and bottom line, I believe this is a software issue. I have two cameras that are the same model. Mind you, I had one camera replaced about two years ago cause it was triggering off nothing which was also causing it to drain quicker. Maybe this one is doing the same thing but, not sending a notification or actually recording.
alganon
Apprentice
Apprentice

Are the batteries actually draining ? Mine would say that the battery was dead and shut down the camera but when I went to charge the battery it was still at 90% charge (3.9 volts) and would charge to full in 1/2 hr. Then there was an update and miraculasly it was cured . They made me jump through all sorts of hoops to give the appearance they were trying to help then one of their eggheads finally figured it out and fixed their screwup .

@Coryvette wrote:
Syncing is never an issue. I'm so far beyond that stage. I have done every check and bottom line, I believe this is a software issue. I have two cameras that are the same model. Mind you, I had one camera replaced about two years ago cause it was triggering off nothing which was also causing it to drain quicker. Maybe this one is doing the same thing but, not sending a notification or actually recording.

Coryvette
Apprentice
Apprentice

I had the same issue, although now, I don't think they will replace out a camera that is 3 years old

Coryvette
Apprentice
Apprentice

voltage reading is at about 2.5.  Not rechargeable batteries.  I don't know how much voltage they should be reading at (lets say half battery life left).  I'm going to try a total reset and replacement of the base although, the base is working fine with my other camera which is farther away then the one that is 20 feet from the base.  It's either software or camera needs to be replaced.  What do ya think ARLO?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's been a while since I thought about non-rechargeable battery levels but I'm very tempted to say that 2.5v is dead as far as the camera is concerned.

Coryvette
Apprentice
Apprentice

yes, my thought as well.  I'll check my "good" cameras batteries when they are at the point of empty.

Coryvette
Apprentice
Apprentice

update on this.  I've decided to buy a refurbished camera through amazon with a add on 3 yr warranty for around $6.50.

I'm sick of this lack of support by arlo.  I like the cameras and I'm assuming this refurb has been "updated" like all this battery draining cameras should be.  If anyone knows of a refurb program please, pass on the info.  I"ve found nothing worthy here in the community.  Thanks!!!

ddatin
Initiate
Initiate

I purchased two new Arlo Pro 2 add-on cameras. One was discharging in six days from a full charge. After four phone calls to support, and more than five hours on hold, supposedly they are shipping me a replacement camera and charging me $16.90 for shipping for the privilege of replacing their defective camera. The first three phone calls required more than one hour and fifteen minutes just to reach a live person and the fourth call was around forty-five minutes of wait time. That's just way too much time on hold. The RMA (return) link they sent me didn't work because their online RMA system was down. Finally they agreed to process the RMA manually. When the cameras work they are a good addition to home security but this fast battery draining problem and slow customer support make me wonder if it was worth it.