Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Fast Battery Drain

Discussion stats
waltster65
Follower
Follower

NOTHING has changed. My base unit and my cameras are all in the same place that they have been in for at least two years. The amount of usage has not changed. NOTHING has changed. When I first installed the ARLO cameras two years ago my batteries would easily last 4-6 months. Earlier this summer the batteries started draining much faster. Now I am down to one week. Seriously, I changed the batteries last weekend in two cameras and they are now dead. What gives? As best as I can tell the firmware is up-to-date (1.2.11810)

81 REPLIES 81
JPR2345
Star
Star

Same here. I bought the 4-camera system about 2 years ago. Been working great. Then, a few weeks ago, two of the cameras go offline at the exact same time. Thought it just must be a weird coincidence that both sets of batteries die at the same time. Put in new batteries (Duracell Lithium 123 CR17345). Eveything goes back normal. Within 12 hours both cameras go offline again. Periodic amber LED flash, so I thought I must have gotten a bad pack of batteries. Bought another set of batteries (Energizer Lithium 123). Everything back to normal. Within 12 hours, both cameras went offline again - same symptoms. This is too coincidental, especially for it to happen to two cameras at once. Find it hard to believe that two cameras go defective at exactly the same time. It has to be a bad firmware update; maybe a not-so-accidental "forced refresh"?  I paid something like $500 for this kit; disappointing that it lasted only 2 years. After reading all the other comments, I'm going to check to see what other solutions are available.

alganon
Apprentice
Apprentice

Have you checked the batteries to see if they are in fact dead ? I had the same problem and the batteries were not dead , but the cameras said they were and shut down . After a few weeks of being kept busy by the (un) support there was an update and it was fixed . I have had this happen several times . I think support are told to keep the victims busy until the eggheads take the time to fix it .

HelloHelloP
Guide
Guide

Same problem. Got a new set of cameras on warranty, 0% battery after 3 weeks, full Wifi connection to the cameras. Have 2 friends that have EXACTLY the same problem. 

Last time I charged the battery lasted for 6 months, now 3 week. I have changed NOTHING.

MUST BE A SOFTWARE/FIRMWARE ISSUE??????

Coryvette
Apprentice
Apprentice

do you remember when the update was?  I've had a camera off that may benefit from Arlo's secret problem/fix

alganon
Apprentice
Apprentice

It was Mar. when mine were cured by an update

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

New Base station firmware has been released that should help resolve the issue being discussed here. Check your base station firmware to be sure you are up to date with the latest available version.

Take a look here for more information on this firmware: Firmware Release Scheduled 6/21 to Address IR Rapid Battery Drain and Modes and Schedules Issues

JamesC

JPR2345
Star
Star

Got the new firmware, and installed new batteries in my cameras (another $50), and all appears to be working well now. It’s been 3 days, and batteries are still at 96%. The new firmware seems to have fixed the bug.

Armyhockey
Tutor
Tutor
Arlo is contracting out support at a low cost and it’s going to ruin them. I’ll never buy Arlo again and will ensure Costco doesn’t either. This is a joke with no support. I’m getting my money back from Costco today.
alganon
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Armyhockey wrote:
Arlo is contracting out support at a low cost and it’s going to ruin them. I’ll never buy Arlo again and will ensure Costco doesn’t either. This is a joke with no support. I’m getting my money back from Costco today.

I would never buy ARLO / Netgear products again . I intend to add to my system but after suffering through ARLO (un)support I won't be buying their products . Their support is worse than a joke .

TheLCSteve
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’m in the exact same boat, but for camera system about 18 months ago working consistently until about two or three months ago. Now two of the four cameras won’t work and drain the batteries in about 12 hours. I’ve tried new batteries swapping batteries and moving cameras between positions and it makes no difference The latest thing I tried was new batteries again and removing everything from my system including the base station waiting nearly a week and reinstalling again one by one verifying everything worked. After 12 hours the same thing happened again the same two cameras died right away and just blink orange for a while then nothing. There doesn’t seem to be any updates for my base station for a potential Fix so I’m running out of options to try anymore.
JPR2345
Star
Star

I had the exact same thing happen to me; literally exactly the same. I’d just about given up on the system, then some time around June 22 or so, my base station got an automatic update to firmware version 1.10.0.7_21310. First I deleted the two cameras from the system using the iPad app, then I put a fresh set of batteries into both cameras, then re-paired them to the base station using the physical buttons on the base station and cameras. Then I had to recreate my schedules. That was over a week ago, and my camera battery levels are still showing 95%, so the new firmware seems to have fixed the issue for me. 

JPR2345
Star
Star

@JPR2345 wrote:

Got the new firmware, and installed new batteries in my cameras (another $50), and all appears to be working well now. It’s been 3 days, and batteries are still at 96%. The new firmware seems to have fixed the bug.

Well, I guess I spoke too soon. After the latest firmware update, I thought my battery drain problem was resolved, as the cameras lasted more that 12 hours. However, here it is a couple of weeks later and both cameras have died again. Sheesh! I’ve already spent $150 on batteries due to this firmware issue, and now have to spend $50 more in order to continue to “try” to resolve it. This is getting ridiculous; at what point do I cut my losses, and just put all the additional battery money towards a new system? Anybody have any recommendations on alternative systems?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

If you're still having trouble with battery drain, I encourage you to open a case with the Arlo Support Team to further investigate the issue.You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. 

JamesC

Coryvette
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thank you. I'll try the most recent update to see if that solves this lifelong problem. Lol
ChevyMama
Luminary
Luminary

Thought I was safe too, wrong! Now what's causing my batteries to drain?

They lasted about a month instead of four! Went from 79% last night to 49% today while being offline once again! How can a battery drain if it's not even recording? My camera was behaving exactly like the last update.  I'm almost afraid to put more new batteries in it, I don't feel like wasting more money. This will be the 3rd time I've had to put batteries in it over the past few months, a reimbursement for batteries would be really nice for some of us here, it's not our fault arlo screwed things up. I won't hold my breath tho...

Coryvette
Apprentice
Apprentice
I gave up and bought a refurbished one for 89 just cause I didn't want to have to buy a different system, btw, there are much cheaper systems that work better...lol
bartatarlo
Tutor
Tutor

Hi 

I recognise this also. While there was another problem that the base was disconnected, one of my Arlo camera's was after one week with new battery's giving me that the battery's have to be changed. Crasy! 

So, a week before (to have time to test) going in vacation i have put new battery's (Duracell). After two weeks, so after first week of my vacation, camera was off because of flat battery. 

Because of that, one part of building wasn't protected anymore for the rest of my vacation. Terrible, so i ask myself; Why i invest in a camera system? 

I buy packets of 40 battery's for a long time now, because then they are cheaper and i alway's have extra ones ready. 

Regards

Simon1234
Tutor
Tutor

I think that the issue being discussed here is also part of my recent unresolved problem in this thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo/Cameras-Offline-messages-that-the-batteries-need-changing/m-p/...

My system had been working fine for over 1 year, and is now "dead" until I effectively re-commission it when I get back home. I think it is very annoying that Arlo continue to try to blame the user, wifi range and/or the batteries for the problems with this system. It seems that because you need relatively easy access to the cameras (for battery changing and charging) they see no issue with you having to access them to fix problems caused by the software. They should have enough data points to identify and fix these problems now, and if not they need some system re-design to start collating it!

Caresbear
Initiate
Initiate

I purchased my system in March 2018 and just recently 2 of the 4 cameras keep draining the batteries and dying.  I am using Energizer Lithium batteries, I've changed them several times, I have the newest firmware updates, I've read all the suggestions from other posts on this forum and nothing has worked.  I too am starting to regret the decision to purchase an Arlo security system.

JPR2345
Star
Star

Based on what’s I’ve been seeing for the past several months, I’d recommend that you return it as soon as possible while it is it still under warranty. It’s too late for me to do that, but I wish I could. Arlo does not seem to be capable of fixing the issue, nor are they willing to let us go back to the previous firmware that worked fine. From other posts I’ve read, it sounds like the camera is always on, even though nothing is being recorded, and that may be what is draining the batteries. That makes me wonder if there is some sort of security issue, or hacking issue. Anyway, I can’t go on spending $25 per camera every few days just to see if they’ve made any improvements. I’ve already spent hundreds of dollars on batteries for this system, so am thinking I’ll just bite the bullet and run a power cable out there. I won’t be sticking with Arlo however, as I have no idea what’s going on in the background, and am concerned about illicit monitoring. 

There are are a lot of choices out there, and the three that I am considering at the moment are Nest, Reolink Argus, and D-Link.

Simon1234
Tutor
Tutor

I have now returned home and on recharging one of my Arlo Pro cameras it requested a firmware update and is now working ok (for now?).

Having changed the batteries in my Arlo camera, it requests an upgrade, but keeps failing with "camera rejected upgrade request". I have tried restarting the BS, resyncing the camera, and mutliple retries. Help!

wiccawillow
Apprentice
Apprentice

Exactly 14 months and my batteries drain after 18 hours.

How is that possible with only 2 recording videos with 10 seconds each (1 of me installing the battery & 1 of me grabbing to the camera to look at it a 2% left of battery)

Customer Support is USELESS

They do not want to help as they want you to purchase the newer Arlo, Why they failed at making me happy with my first purchase.

Armyhockey
Tutor
Tutor

I took the old arlo wireless one back to Coscto and got my money back. The new pro series has rechargeable batteries. I paid about 150 more but I haven't had any issues. The old battery ones are a joke. I was surprised that Arlo went public as a company. They still haven't helped all the customers with the battery devices that got them to where they are now! They owe all of us new cameras and basically left everyone hanging with crappy cameras and no fix or no way of getting them fixed. They really built the company on the backs of all the early adopters. The warranty system is the problem. They have no way of resolving the issues and blame the customer with no way to get a new device if there is something wrong. It's a shame and a sham all in one. I went through this same issue in the early days at a wireless company. The new products are better but they royally screwed everyone with this product. 

Rosety71
Guide
Guide

These cameras are useless given the fact there is no reason for the rapid battery drain.  Six cameras and it's continually a random thing.  Firmware up to date.  Seems like we aren't the only ones with this problem.  Had our security company out today and will be going with REAL cameras.  This was a waste of money.  Buyer beware.

0916jmlj
Initiate
Initiate

You list a link that will resolve the battery drain issue dated 6/21/18.  When I click on it, tells me DENIED.  I have an account, paid for your product, but can't use the link.  Call customer support and the lady asked me the same questions over 5 times and when I asked for someone else to help me, she tells me I have to call back and she can't transfer calls, then hangs up on me.  This is one of the worst customer service reps. I have ever had to deal with.  Maybe if your customer service reps were located in the USA we all might be more successful at getting help with equipment problems.