Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Delay between detection/notification and upload of video to camera

Discussion stats
Nabbie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi team,

Creating new thread as the other thread (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Features/Email-Alerts-Video-Recordings-Not-Getting-or-Getting-Very-...) has status of solved and it seems I am unable to reply to that.

So a week ago, I started noticing that there is a delay of couple of hours between motion / notification and upload of video to the cloud. For example, I get up in the morning and I see new videos from the day before from 6pm. That's a big delay. I understand that there were some cloud issues, but I would like to report it's not solved.

I did do whatever I could do on my end (unplug, reboot, resync, check time setting), but no change.

thank you for guidance and update

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A cloud update has been deployed that should resolve this issue. Please let me know if you continue experiencing delayed content.

JamesC

View solution in original post

54 REPLIES 54
Nabbie
Apprentice
Apprentice

I would like to add/clarify: The motion detection alert does pop up in real time, but no video upload. The "new video" little bubble and the video itself show up in my app hours later.

ajais
Guide
Guide

I am having exactly the same issue.  The video is appearing aproximately 3hrs behind along with the email notification.  Push notification is immediate.

Nabbie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Haven't heard from Netgear so created a ticket, ticket # 28462207. The issue still persists. 

Nabbie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi Community,

Netgear support team and I have been communicating. Kudos to Netgear for their responsiveness). I provided responses to their first set of questions regarding setup, duration of delay, frequency, reboot/reset/recycle, etc...

As of this morning, their counsel is "[...] Now, as for your concern, this is very unlikely to be server problem as we have not gotten any other report from another customers with same concern as yours. But rest assured we will look into this, so we can get to the bottom of the problem. Anyhow, have you tried manually recording a video? If not, please try doing so and see if the video takes hours before it gets save. Better to try to all cameras you have to see if the problem is just very specific to one.".

I tried the manual recording and it uploaded the video instantly. Interestingly, a few minutes later, I received a notification but the video has yet to upload. I received another notification from another camera, and it recorded instantly.

If you are experiencing similar problem, can you please let Netgear through either this thread or through creating a ticket?  Also, I am intrigued to know if your manually recorded video upload instantly. I am also going to track whether it's specific to any particular cameras. So far, it does not look like it but I will pay closer attention to see if it's a camera(s) specific problems.

Will keep the community posted.

Thank you all

ajais
Guide
Guide

The issue appears to have been resolved as far as I can tell.  A manual recording loaded instantly.  An automatic one within 60secs just a few minutes ago.  Not sure what changed but I will keep an eye on it.

Ok have to edit this.  I was looking at footage from yesterday on the automatic recording.  So a manual recording loaded to the WEB site and the APP near instantly.  An automatic recording from 30min ago is still not there though I did receive a push notification of motion by the camera.  So the problem with an automatic recording still exists.

ajais
Guide
Guide

I have opened a ticket as well with Netgear to make sure that they have more than one report: 

Case Number: 28470692

When motion is detected on my cameras, I am getting a near instant push notification, however the video only appears in the app or on the web site hours later (as long as 2-3 hours later) which makes this system less than useful for security.   When I do a manual 10sec recording (same length as set for motion detection), the video appears in both the app and the web site almost instantly.  I have 120Mb/s bandwidth here as tested by fast.com and the cameras are positioned so that they have full bars of signal from the base station - given that the recording works manually as does the automatic push notification, this looks like a possible server bug.  A week ago the system was working flawlessly.  Please investigate.

Nabbie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just finished provided example screenshots to Netgear support team, including of notification and no video loaded, video showing up in app a few hours later. 

I reviewed the screenshots taken over last 3 days and determined the issue does not appear to be specific to a camera. 

FYI: 7 cameras running great (until i noticed current issue) on HughesNet Gen 5, with download speed 49.9 Mbps, upload speed 2.1 Mbps (not too shabby considering it's internet provided by satellite). Test done on testmy.net. 

Alster63
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am experiencing exactly the sme issue & oddly enough have Hughesnet Gen5 also.
ajais
Guide
Guide

This issue is probably not related to your bandwidth, Hughnet or not.  I have exactly the same issue on a very high speed connection: Provider is Cox, 120Mbs download, 15Mbs upload, 22ms latency (as measured by speedtest.net).

@Nabbie I related our tickets by referencing yours with customer support so that they don't go down the road to blaming the Hughesnet connection.

Nabbie
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Alster63, thank you for chiming in. @ajais, I provided them with the link to this thread as I figured a couple of people are going to be chiming in on same issue. I will provide with your ticket number as well, great idea.

Latest from Netgear Support is to try to change the timezone setting on the Arlo, and change it again to the correct timezone. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Will report back when I do.

Here is what I am trying today:

- I am going with the assumption that all videos get recorded, and they're just stuck somewhere in a backlog fashion.

- I disabled (i.e. switched off) one camera that seems to be triggered quite a bit (courtesy of having trees in the frame, and current wind, triggering the camera in a back to back fashion for a few minutes at a time). I am hoping that lowering the number of motion detection (and thus number of videos that get recorded) gets the upload speed back in line.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

unless you do a lot of captures that may not be a factor.  I capture a lot, averaging about 125 recordings a 24 hour period for my 4 cams and I don't notice any significant delay most of the time. But definitely worth a try ( could be a factor in your case if you bandwidth is bottlenecking)

Bhpgw79rwp
Aspirant
Aspirant
One of mine was impossible to see out of from the contressed changed somehow
kevins77
Aspirant
Aspirant

I seem to have experienced the same problem yesterday.  Almost 3 hour delay in motion and it showing up on Arlo's server.  There were two cameras that detected motion at the same time.  One uploaded instantaneously, the other had the delay.  I have a symmetrical gigabit connection through FiOS, so  bandwidth on my end is not the problem.  Also, the camera that took 3 hours to upload is literally 3 feet from the base station.

Nabbie
Apprentice
Apprentice

No real update on my end. The communication with Support is focused on figuring out what device I use. I'm providing all the info as requested.

In the meantime, I tried what they said: I changed the timezone for a few hours on my arlo, got motion detection, some videos uploaded, some didn't. I changed the timezone again to the correct timezone, same issue.

It's not bandwith, it's not number of triggers, it's not device used to watch the video. It is frustrating, that we know for sure.

Any news from anyone who has created a ticket for their issue? What guidance are you getting from Support? 

Alster63
Aspirant
Aspirant
I tried what tech support recommended: reboot router, camera, etc, resynch, etc. (spin around in circles while chanting 😉) & it worked fine for a couple of days. Now we're back to the approximate 2 hour delay. Same problem. Ugh!
jaysa
Guide
Guide
I have been having the same delay reported by others. For the last week the problem was corrected, but now the delay is back. Although, now the delay is only happening about 20% of the time. Still very annoying.
Alster63
Aspirant
Aspirant
Problem is temporarily resolved by rebooting, uninstalling/reinstalling app, etc., but always returns to the 2-3 hour delay within a day or two. Clearly there's a software issue somewhere, but Netgear support just continues to have me reboot, etc. Unless this problem is resolved ASAP, it's clearly time to start looking into other brands. This level of support is unacceptable.
jpr007
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought and installed the arlo system in December and it seemed to work properly until about a month ago. Then I started experiencing the same 2 - 3 hour delay in having motion detected videos available to view online.  I receive push messages on my iPhone, but many/most times the video does NOT appear when I log in for several hours.  What is going on?

Alster63
Aspirant
Aspirant
Request you open a ticket with Netgear support so they know this problem is affecting multiple users. I haven't had any luck getting anything besides a temporary resolution, but hopefully if enough folks complain .........?
ajais
Guide
Guide

I can confirm that resetting the controller solves the problem for about half a day and then the delay gets worse and worse.  While Netgear's customer support are very nice and responsive, there is no indication that Netgear is recognizing the issue or doing anything about it.  That is too bad because aside for this problem, it is really an excellent system.  I was going ot purchase 6 pro version cameras for our vacation home but if this problem manifests itself on the Pro version too, the system is useless for security.  If you are experiencing a delay in uploading and have the Pro version, please let me know.  Thanks!

dJos1991
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm also have the same problem. rebooting will work sometimes for a moment.

Sometimes it takes also more than 2 hours before we can see the video.

madler
Guide
Guide

I am seeing the occasional 2-3 hour delay in my email feeds.

For example:  (received at 2:01 PM):

Hi Mark,

Arlo has detected motion on one of your cameras. Here are the details:

Driveway at 11:55:30 AM EDT on Jun 16 2017 ...

It is strange that this only happens occasionally, and I had several notifications before and after this one that were delivered within a minute of their occurence.  My theory is that there are multiple servers in the cloud, and only some are experiencing this delay.  So, it depends on which server you are connected to for the upload.  

From the messages here, this has been going on for quite some time without being resolved.  I take this to be a serious problem that impacts the security of my home.  I'm pretty disappointed.

ajais
Guide
Guide

Yes I am still having exactly the same issues.  I have been working with Netgear support following all their suggestions - the latest being to disable all inbound firewall rules (????) - which predictably had no affect on the issue.  I am experiencing on average a 2hr delay.  For some reason there are times when there is very little delay on the order of 2min (nothing done on my side as I am remote for now) but it always goes back to 2 to 3 hours.  Unfortunately Netgear support appears to be bent on trying to pin it on something wrong with my network despite the fact that I have pointed them to this discussion numerous times telling them that I am not alone.  My recommendation is to open a support ticket with them and add your voice to the chorus.  With critical mass it might get enough priority to be properly investigated by a developer rather than their very professional and polite CS team following a "figure out what the user has done to cause the problem" script.

mcmu12
Luminary
Luminary

I have had the same issue for several weeks - ~2 hour delay in videos showing up in Library.   This makes the system useless.  Anyone get helpful information from Netgear?   I've had my cameras for almost 2 years and this just started recently.  Please let me know.