Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

solidamber
Guide
Guide
Huawei p10 pro today I can no longer set a custom push notification tone in the Arlo app, the options are still there but it doesn't matter which tone I choose arlo only sounds the standard tone that is set in the android notifcation menu... It was working fine yesterday.. I have deleted and re installed the app with no improvement.
171 REPLIES 171
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I've opened and escalated a ticket on this topic, I will provide an update as soon as I have more information.

JamesC

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@a_brittis wrote:

I'm using 8.0.0, which has this option to set the notification sound via the Android System Settings.

This appears to be a function of the phone as well as the OS> I have a Galaxy Tab S3 on 8.0 and a Pixel 3XL on 9 and neither has the option in the phone settings for the app to set/change the notification sound.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The base has nothing to do with the sound. That's strictly a function of the phone. The recent Android app update has caused a problem with the ability to actually use a custom sound instead of the default sound for the phone.

Susquatch
Star
Star
Wierd. I have an S9 with Android 8.0.0. The Settings in the OS allow me to change notification sounds for each app, and the settings in the arlo app itself also allow me to change the notification sound for Arlo. HOWEVER, neither one works. Arlo consistently uses the default notification sound, and that notification typically comes after 10 minutes to an hour later - so not only does the sound get lost but even if you notice it, it arrives way to late to be of any value. All other apps work just fine so it's an Arlo issue.

Still waiting for a fix (update) from Arlo..........
JessicaZ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you!!! GOing into the Actual phone settings and changing the notifcation actually worked!  This was driving me crazy!  Thank yoU! 

Twoot
Guide
Guide
I had to go to settings on phone and go to Apps and Arlo and change it there
Mighty_TBird
Aspirant
Aspirant

I set the notification tone on my Android phone to NONE, but I still receive audio alerts!  Short of turning off push notifications entirely, how can I fix this?  I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the app several times, but it continues.

I have had these cameras for several months - the problem started with an update in the last week.

Is anyone else having this problem and how do you fix it?

DeeBoo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Since the update I don't get any push notification alerts/sounds at all, and can't stay logged in. When looking at my camera in "Devices", the sound icon is greyed out, if that matters. I NEED the notifications!! I have reset, uninstalled, reinstalled, rebooted everything, and nothing helps. HELP! 

Maxiehouse
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same problem with notifications sounds resetting and not being able to change them. Even more peeved as this option is not available on iPhone so I had to go and purchase a Samsung (that I only use for louder notifications whilst sleeping) as it looks like they will never fix the iPhone problem only now to find out the the latest update has taken away this option for Android too. Come on Arlo lift your game. You charge premium prices for your cameras how about providing at least the service you advertise eg notifications that work! 

stuckincube
Apprentice
Apprentice
Same issue on Galaxy S8.
Reinstalling app doesn't fix it.
F1rebird
Tutor
Tutor

Why dont push notifications sound changes take affect?

I changed the sound but yet default notification sound still come thru

App shows new chosen sound and is saved and changable and shows saved new sound but continues to sound default.

I have been a user over a year and was able to make this change in the past for some reason it no longer is working, even tried reinstalling app.

Google Pixel 2 XL - Android 9

Divvydave
Star
Star
Same issue here. Also problems with combo of geofencing and scheduling, android app notification of battery usage constantly nagging. The latest android update is terrible
FCrowdus89
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same problem. Thanks to the latest Android update where a lot of the custom sounds were taken away, the only way i have found to be able to change the sound is to go into your PHONES settings, under apps, select the Arlo app, then go down to notifications,  and then on the bottom select notifications again, and there you can choose the level of "severity" of the notification AND should have a place where it shows what sound will play. I have a Samsung Galaxy S8+ so im sure it will be somewhat different but hope this helps at least get you in the right direction.

hughdn
Aspirant
Aspirant
@ShayneS

I'm running an original Pixel XL with Android 9. The smart notifications and person detection have started working. However it won't use the notification sound I choose, just the default, it only notifies me if the phone is active (ie: person gets detected at 10am and records, if my phone is laid down with the screen off it doesn't notify, if I pick it up @ 10:20am I'll then get the notification), and there doesn't seem to be anyway for me to make it overide DND anymore...

Also, still no idea of what how to use activity zones. I can create them, but not specify what to use them for.

Thanks
H
sdhengsoft
Aspirant
Aspirant
Since the release of Arlo app for Android build 23000 and higher, the notification settings for custom sound and led colour are being ignored. Is anyone else noticing this issue? I have reverted to an older build to get this working as normal. Thanks
Emily407
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am also having the same issue and have reinstalled 3 times wih no luck.
Emily407
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am also having the same issues with being unable to customize the notifications from the app as I had done in the past. I am also receiving many app failures notifications that it stops working.
JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Regarding custom sounds, go through the phone not the Arlo app. Settings>apps>Arlo>notifications>notifications>sounds. This works for me changing sounds, Arlo app does not after update.

DeeBoo
Aspirant
Aspirant
That doesn't work either, but thanks!
Ricco222optimum
Aspirant
Aspirant
Since the latest update I cannot change the notification sound to anything other then the default on my Note9 on Android.
sdhengsoft
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yep that did the trick once I reinstalled the latest version. The option above did not exist until I did that. The notification led colour setting is only available within Arlo. I'll have to wait for that to be tested during the next notification event. Thanks again.
jgsouthard
Apprentice
Apprentice

Same for me.

Peau
Tutor
Tutor

After last week's update I was having problems with push notifications as well.  Problems varied from no notifications or the custom sound not working.  I've worked around this for my Android 8 Huawei P9 lite by uninstalling Arlo and downloading a previous version from APKmirror.com.  Once on apkmirrior site, seartch for Arlo.  I downloaded a version from October and I'm now getting immediate push notifications with my custom sound.  Now I just need to work out how to prevent auto updates from Google Play so I don't have to keep doing this.

solidamber
Guide
Guide
I've been running the old app as well to stop auto updates go to the play store then the option lines top left/settings/auto update apps.. Change it to don't auto update.
Peau
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks, @solidamber.