Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Charging Issues: Tenergy Rechargeable CR123 Batteries & Charger

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
dogrescueguy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I thought these issues might be related so I put them both into same post.

Issue #1: LED Indicator on the Tenergy Rechargeable Battery Charger

• Displays nothing - no red, green or red flash.
  • Or lights flash red even w/batteries properly inserted.
  • Or the lights change while charging (green to nothing, red to nothing, green to red)

Note: I own 5 of the Tenergy Rechargeable CR123 Batteries & Charger sets and the issue happens on all of them.

Remedies I've tried: Removing batteries, re-seating batteries in the charger, sometimes spinning the batteries around in charger helps but I'm at a loss as to what's going on.

Issue #2: Batteries charged 100%, all lights green on charger, insert batteries into camera and indicator displays 48% battery life.

Remedies I've tried: Removed camera from base station > removed batteries from camera > re-added device > no luck. Factory reset on base station > re-added cameras > no luck.

Base Station: VMB3010r2
Base Station FW: 1.9.0.0_14639
Arlo Wire-Free Camera FW: 1.2.11810

tenergy1.jpg

Jeff in TX
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Remedies I've tried: Removing batteries, re-seating batteries in the charger, sometimes spinning the batteries around in charger helps but I'm at a loss as to what's going on.

Jeff.. the charger is spec'ed to charge the tenergy cells oly and due to this has VERY tight tolerance for cell lenght.

What i have seen once or twice is the clip on the + side ( which is buried sort of ) doesn't allow the + terminal to touch due to shoulders of cells ...thereby no charge and light stays out

Easy test is if the one section works with SOME cells an not others... If you look closely you may find either the center + button not as long as the other cells or the clip inside the charger in more.

To fix, a couple of things, but prob not approved by Netgear....

( small piece of tin foil on + charge clip if clip is recessed )

( bend clip out a hair )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Jeff.. the charger is spec'ed to charge the tenergy cells oly and due to this has VERY tight tolerance for cell lenght.

What i have seen once or twice is the clip on the + side ( which is buried sort of ) doesn't allow the + terminal to touch due to shoulders of cells ...thereby no charge and light stays out

Easy test is if the one section works with SOME cells an not others... If you look closely you may find either the center + button not as long as the other cells or the clip inside the charger in more.

To fix, a couple of things, but prob not approved by Netgear....

( small piece of tin foil on + charge clip if clip is recessed )

( bend clip out a hair )

Morse is faster than texting!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Additionally, issue #2 is usually caused by pushing the batteries down into their slots in the camera. Just place them in the slots and let the battery door push them into place.
dogrescueguy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks TomMac! Appreciate the thorough and quick response. 

Jeff in TX