Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Tenergy Rechargeables

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
manfredz
Hero
Hero

Just wondering if this is, as I suspect, a quirk of the Arlo battery charge left process not being geared to measure rechargeables?

Though fully charged, it shos under 20% charged in the Arlo interface and I even get low battery warnings but it's functioning fine.

These are the ones I got

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B002UEE7SU/ref=pe_386430_126088100_TE_item

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

READ THIS... old thread..  BTW .Netgear now approves a set of batteries and charger package

Lets put all this in order...

1) Netgear does not recommend rechargables any longer due to fakes, bad cells, possible fire using same in a Li-Ion format 123/16340 cell

This does not mean they don't work well, just that Netgear doesn't want to touch that area for the above reasons. You will be on you own if a problem occurs.

Also of note, the OEM cells shine in a spec usage of <5 min per day, the Rechargeables will out record in time amount, in a heavy usage situ. So each one has it's benefits

2) The 3.7v Li-ion cells work the best in Arlo cameras ( there are no Nimh cells in this format I know of and if so wouldn't have the cold temp life ) The cameras are allowed this input voltages. ( BTW OEM primary cells are 3.2v new, Li-ion cells 3.7v are 4.2 right off charge )

The battery algorithm was optimized back in late 2015 for OEM 3.2v cells and 3.7v Li-ion .... both read correctly on gauge now

If you want to go with rechargeables;

Read this, at least the last ten pages for most of the info about rechargeables....there are 64 pages

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Buying-Options-Tips/Rechargeable-batteries-for-use-with-Arlo-camera...

In a nutshell;

First, go back and read the battery thread FROM THE NEWEST BACK about 10 or so pages!

(Tho i do recommend readin all as a way to know how / why users ended up with 3-4 choice cells... knowledge is power.)

You will find info on the 3-4 well vetted rechargeables and chargers if you  want to go that route.

Not only that, You will find out the NO 123/16340 sized cell ( li-ion ) can hold more than about 750 mahr of chemistry.... Any li-ion that says over 800 is automatically suspect right off the bat.

Also you should be using the 3.7v Li-ion cells not the 3 or 3.6v cells which have lower rates AND some have been found not to work well.

LiFe04 type cells have given problems also when used in Arlo.

Don't FORGET, make sure the cells have overcharge/over discharge curcuit built into them

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Those are not the right batteries.... they will work, but not as well nor read right in the gauge.

From specs ; Peak voltage of 3.0V Li-Ion will be 3.60V after fully charged Battery

The Arlo cameras are optimized for the OEM 3v and Li-iom 3.7v cells ( they charge to 4.2 )

The Tenergy cells sold that are 'approved' by Netgear are also 3.7v  li-ion

Approved;

https://www.amazon.ca/Combo-Batteries-Wire-Free-Security-Certified/dp/B01N0DVFA7/ref=sr_1_2?s=electr...

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

READ THIS... old thread..  BTW .Netgear now approves a set of batteries and charger package

Lets put all this in order...

1) Netgear does not recommend rechargables any longer due to fakes, bad cells, possible fire using same in a Li-Ion format 123/16340 cell

This does not mean they don't work well, just that Netgear doesn't want to touch that area for the above reasons. You will be on you own if a problem occurs.

Also of note, the OEM cells shine in a spec usage of <5 min per day, the Rechargeables will out record in time amount, in a heavy usage situ. So each one has it's benefits

2) The 3.7v Li-ion cells work the best in Arlo cameras ( there are no Nimh cells in this format I know of and if so wouldn't have the cold temp life ) The cameras are allowed this input voltages. ( BTW OEM primary cells are 3.2v new, Li-ion cells 3.7v are 4.2 right off charge )

The battery algorithm was optimized back in late 2015 for OEM 3.2v cells and 3.7v Li-ion .... both read correctly on gauge now

If you want to go with rechargeables;

Read this, at least the last ten pages for most of the info about rechargeables....there are 64 pages

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Buying-Options-Tips/Rechargeable-batteries-for-use-with-Arlo-camera...

In a nutshell;

First, go back and read the battery thread FROM THE NEWEST BACK about 10 or so pages!

(Tho i do recommend readin all as a way to know how / why users ended up with 3-4 choice cells... knowledge is power.)

You will find info on the 3-4 well vetted rechargeables and chargers if you  want to go that route.

Not only that, You will find out the NO 123/16340 sized cell ( li-ion ) can hold more than about 750 mahr of chemistry.... Any li-ion that says over 800 is automatically suspect right off the bat.

Also you should be using the 3.7v Li-ion cells not the 3 or 3.6v cells which have lower rates AND some have been found not to work well.

LiFe04 type cells have given problems also when used in Arlo.

Don't FORGET, make sure the cells have overcharge/over discharge curcuit built into them

manfredz
Hero
Hero

Thanks for info.  Was looking at those and meant to order them but must have had a brain fart.  Will order the right ones next. With time expect I'll get a feel how long the ones I have last (am I right in assuming they won't do any harm?) and use them in one of my cams thats easiest to get at.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

manfredz wrote:

(am I right in assuming they won't do any harm?) and use them in one of my cams thats easiest to get at.

They won't hurt the Arlo cam... just the gauge will be a bit off and you'll have to get a feel for how long they last.

The 16340 3.7v li-ion ( I 've used 4 types over the last two yrs ) for me run an average of 50-55 days on spec useage.

But, in the specs for the batteries you have had a mention of controlled flow of power of 3v ... When cells get down to the 2.9v range the gauge wil be at the bottom 1/3 or so... A low battery email ( 12-15% for me) shows cells in that range , like 2.94

Dead is just about 2.75 - 2.8v depends on cameras.

So let then run till they die ( they have a safety cutoff at 2.5v to protect cell and you'll never get that low )