Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 23 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
ant
Mentor
Mentor

Or does it have to be with network cables to the hub/switch/router on the network?

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
David_NG
Arlo Employee Retired

Hello Ant,

Good question! Let me see if I can explain the answer so it makes sense. The Arlo Base Stations will be connected to your account. They do communicate with the cameras through WiFi but they will not be connected together. You can use the Base Stations to extend your Arlo System. But in any case you will need to have an Ethernet cord running from both Arlo Base Stations to your Hub/Switch/Router which ever one you are using, and the cameras will be synced to their respective Base Stations. If one Base Station stops working then only the cameras associated with that base station will be effected. Hopefully this answered your question. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks

The Arlo Team

David S.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
David_NG
Arlo Employee Retired

Hello Ant,

Good question! Let me see if I can explain the answer so it makes sense. The Arlo Base Stations will be connected to your account. They do communicate with the cameras through WiFi but they will not be connected together. You can use the Base Stations to extend your Arlo System. But in any case you will need to have an Ethernet cord running from both Arlo Base Stations to your Hub/Switch/Router which ever one you are using, and the cameras will be synced to their respective Base Stations. If one Base Station stops working then only the cameras associated with that base station will be effected. Hopefully this answered your question. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks

The Arlo Team

David S.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

David_NG wrote:

Hello Ant,

Thanks

The Arlo Team

David S.

Thanks. 🙂

dase
Tutor
Tutor

Can one continue to use the basic (free) plan if you have two basestations, but are still under the limit of 5 cameras in total. I'd like to have three cameras on one base station and two cameras on another, but still use the basic plan.

Thanks.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

dase wrote:

Can one continue to use the basic (free) plan if you have two basestations, but are still under the limit of 5 cameras in total. I'd like to have three cameras on one base station and two cameras on another, but still use the basic plan.

Thanks.

According to https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/What-are-the-available-Arlo-subscription-plans-... , I don't think you can even have two base stations on the free plan. 😞

dase
Tutor
Tutor

Yeah, that's what I figured. Oh well. Seems like a restriction that should be lifted as long as you stay under the total camera limit. I have a lot of area to cover and having two base stations would really help. I'll file a feature request.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

dase wrote:

Yeah, that's what I figured. Oh well. Seems like a restriction that should be lifted as long as you stay under the total camera limit. I have a lot of area to cover and having two base stations would really help. I'll file a feature request.

I agree. Please be sure to post your URL so we can vote it. 😉

fekt
Initiate
Initiate
We should be allowed to have 2 base stations, with max 5 cameras on each. We have paid for both stations. Why do we need to upgrade our plan to have this? I do not understand this logic? I have 4 cameras right now, but they can't reach my backyard. So they are all in the front. I want to purchase another base with 4 cameras, to cover my entire home. If not, I guess I will have to go with another system for the back, and probably dump the Arlo, sell it, or just use it indoors. It is a great system, but this limitation, needs to be removed.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

fekt wrote:
We should be allowed to have 2 base stations, with max 5 cameras on each. We have paid for both stations. Why do we need to upgrade our plan to have this?

You can have two bases... but you must set up to two different accounts/emails if you want the free service plan ( as they free plan limits to 5 cams/ 1 base )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Destry
Initiate
Initiate
Having two accounts removes the elegance and simplicity of the system, making it convoluted for no reason. I'm in the same position as fekt, I have a large home. Should I be looking at returning this for something without this restriction? If you know there's a free work-around just make it free within the same account?????
jackFF
Aspirant
Aspirant

same here. I just urchased & installed & found out that I can't put 2 cameras where I want them. So even with 2 cams, I would need to base stations. & netgear would want me to pay 10$/mo for this? no way, I'd rather return it

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

jackFF wrote:

same here. I just urchased & installed & found out that I can't put 2 cameras where I want them. So even with 2 cams, I would need to base stations. & netgear would want me to pay 10$/mo for this? no way, I'd rather return it

Huh? The number of base stations has no bearing on the free plan, only the total number of cameras per account.

As long as you keep the number of cameras to 5 or less, you can use the free plan regardless of the number of bases and where they're placed.  If you exceed 5 cameras, you can still use the free plan by creating a second account with at least one base and 5 or fewer cameras, just as with the first setup.  Use Settings, Grant Access on one account and invite the other account's email address.  Once accepted, all cameras/bases will show up in one login.  It's not quite the same as logging in with the master account but it's close for most purposes.

Nickmatt
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have a set of camaras 1 station already connected in California now my question is I have another set that I need to install in mexico I have the station and thghe camaras but not one application what can I do
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm not clear on what you're asking but you can certainly use multiple base stations in multiple locations using one login.  The big issue is the total number of cameras.  If you want to stay on the free plan, use a second email address for the second location and then use Settings, Grant Access to view both setups using one login.