Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Base station will not connect to internet

galevelasco
Aspirant
Aspirant

I restarted it because one of the cameras would not connect. The base station shows a solid amber light. I reset my router and Arlo multiple times. Any more ideas why it won't connect? Thanks

429 REPLIES 429
Mavrikis
Aspirant
Aspirant
I also did a reset of the base station. Power light went Amber and then green. No other lights are coming on. Did this several times with no success. Also changed Ethernet cables and ports. Also pressed both synch and reset buttons but still the same
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Mavrikis,

If you have already tried a factory reset on the base station please consider a reset on your modem/router.  If you are still having trouble getting your base station to connect to the internet and other devices on your network are connecting please contact our support team for further investigation of the issue.

Thanks!

JamesC

Mavrikis
Aspirant
Aspirant

All good! Have reset everything. It's back to normal.

Thanks

Mavrikis

akumar
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the problem of Solid Amber internet light and could not get it to connect so, here's what I did.

1. Factory Reset (Sync + Reset button for 10+ seconds).  No good.
  2. Power Cycle a few times.  No Good.
  3. Swore.  No Good.
  4. Checked for DHCP Binding. Good.
  5. Looked at firewall logs and saw that the router was blocking attempts by the Arlo to connect to The Netgear NTP servers.  It seems that if it doesn't have access to the Netgear NTP servers (Mine was trying to reach 209.249.181.52 and 206.16.42.153 which resolve to the netgear NTP network) it will play dead.
  6. I opened access to these NTP server (against my better judgement) and it all worked okay from that point on.

I hope that helps someone else.

Roger Ramtech using AKs account.

Ecomiles
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi - I'm also struggling to connect to the wireless router. In my case I have a Netgear DG834N router. Plugging in the base station via ethernet cable unsuccessful. Any suggestions? I tried both base stations purchased from Arlo - both don't connect.

funnyuser
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem as well

funnyuser
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also must add to it that my router of my internet connection is also from netgear

Lbausa
Aspirant
Aspirant
Camera will not connect to wireless internee
Lbausa
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am having the same problem and I also have net gear.
metrex
Tutor
Tutor
Hello to all; Well I kind of started this tread and still DO NOT have my net gear working, and never will. For I installed another system and it is working at 100 %. Have my Net Gear equiment put away in its box. Will never buy net gear equipment again. I sellling my net gear aquipment. 2 camaras wireless with base station. Brand new. For sale $100.00.
Ecomiles
Aspirant
Aspirant

Unfortunately - same here. After spending a week trying to solve the issue, Arlo/Netgear unable to provide solution. Looks like the Netgear modem should not be older than a year or so for it to work. Older (3year old) netgear modem routers don't seem to work with Arlo...

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ecomiles,

I read another post you made in a different thread: Base station not connecting to to my Netgear DG834N router. It sounds like the port you are plugging into or the ports in general could be bad on the router. You said you tried plugging your laptop into the router and that did not work either. No internet LED at all when you have an ethernet cable plugged into the router and the base station means the base station is not detecting any connection at all with the router. Do you have any way to test the base station on a different router to isolate the problem to the DG834N?

Let us know!

JamesC

funnyuser
Aspirant
Aspirant

My netgear router is just 6 months old and also does not seem to work. I have been trying many times different things but just cannot get it working. Why does netgear put a defective product on the market?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

funnyuser,

You indicate in your other thread that the internet light is solid green which means your router is communicating okay with the base station. Did you perform a factory reset of the base station at any point in your troubleshooting? If so please navigate to Settings then to Base Station Settings and click "deactivate". Then you will be able to add the base station back to the account by navigating to Subscription and clicking Add a Base Station. After the base station is added back to the account you can then sync each camera individually. Let me know if this helps!

JamesC

funnyuser
Aspirant
Aspirant

message in "my arlo" is: "Your base is not connected to the internet. Make sure the base is powered on and connected to your router.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

funnyuser,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue.

JamesC

ManSan100
Aspirant
Aspirant

My system worked fine out of the box for about 2 weeks. 

Earlier this week the amber internet light came on.  No internet connection.  Tried different ports, cables and direct connection to router.  No luck.

Tried reset button/synch button combination.  No luck.  Get amber Internet light everytime.

Please advise where I can send Serial Number for testing.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ManSan100,

I see that you were able to contact support and open a case regarding this issue. I encourage you to continue working with the Arlo Support Team on reaching a resolution.

Did anything change recently on your network that could be preventing Arlo from connecting to the servers? Added devices, changed security settings etc. Please let us know the results of your case!

JamesC

ManSan100
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thx for contacting me.

No changes were made to network config or security parameters.

The system is connected to a Windows 10 computer, which operating system does its own updates.

No firmware updates made either.

Tried a DMZ from router, with same result: NO internet connection, internet light=amber

Tried connecting Base to a different network (at my parents), same result: NO internet connection;internet light=amber.  This connection uses my same ISP.

Only pending to contact ISP to validate Arlo is not blocked at their end.

Can you provide any Arlo related info to provide the ISP?  Ex. arlo web address?  IP? Anything I can tell the ISP to look for in their blockage/restricted list.

Please let me know.   

M.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ManSan100,

You can find the requirements for Arlo to work in this troubleshooting article: My Arlo base station is offline; how can I troubleshoot it?

It may be valuable to find out what DNS your modem/router is set to and possibly try using google DNS (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4).

When contacting your ISP I advise trying to find out if anything recently changed on their end and if so what was it? Considering your system was working in the past and now does not work at two locations with the same ISP.

Another possible route you could take is to swap out your modem through your ISP. I don't know if the second location you you tried the base station at was using the same modem but if it was that is another step you could take to try and isolate the issue.

Please let us know the results!

JamesC

Bmendez
Aspirant
Aspirant
Mine work out of the box and two month later I am having many problems with the Internet connection. I did the reset, change cable of Internet, call internet provider and the lights are solid but same problem no internet connection. I reach out to support and still haven't heard from them. I think this is a comment problem with the main device.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try calling support. They'll probably want to step you through some troubleshooting and this would be faster.

PCRABILL
Tutor
Tutor

I TRIED ALL OF THE SUGGESTIONS.  HERE IS MY SERIAL NO.

4893597BA417A

PCRABILL
Tutor
Tutor

On the Base station the LED for internet connection does not light up. Neither amber or green.  Based on that i assuming I don't have an internet connection.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

PCRABILL,

If the internet light does not light at all that means the base station is unable to communicate with the router. This could indicate an issue with the port that you have the base station plugged into or a bad ethernet cable. Consider swapping out the ethernet cable and plugging in to a different port on your router to isolate the issue further.

JamesC