Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

galevelasco
Aspirant
Aspirant

I restarted it because one of the cameras would not connect. The base station shows a solid amber light. I reset my router and Arlo multiple times. Any more ideas why it won't connect? Thanks

429 REPLIES 429
Kcasey
Aspirant
Aspirant

It is finally connected to the internet but it won't recognize my phone?????

LGuy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Now I am online but it is saying cameras need ilm update... I just bought them yesterday. Is this a true error message or just company?

Streak2
Master Master
Master
It's very common for a newly purchased system to require an update on installation.

Nothing to worry about.
LGuy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Everytime internet goes out will I have to manually resync cameras? Like if we are away?

Brianflys
Guide
Guide
I didn't have to resync. Mine just came back. Not sure if you have to restart the base.

Other posts say this is a very infrequent problem (years ago) and maybe due to the Black Friday crush on their servers. Hopefully they will upgrade their back end to avoid this in the future.
Lacy77
Initiate
Initiate
DuaneBerta
Guide
Guide
Me too. 🙂 What a relief. Love these cameras, would hate for this to happen again. Didn't sleep well knowing about the lack of security.
DuaneBerta
Guide
Guide
Time for a new ISP? I have not had this issue but I do live in a big city. We had a power outage, which took down the Internet and I did not have to resync when it finally came back on. You could report it to Arlo, maybe they will replace your base station.
turbo95sir
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just bought my Arlo Pro 4-camera system for Black Friday and was excited to set it up last night. However, came to this message board because I was having connection issues from the base to my router. None of the resets suggested by users here worked. I was about to box it up and return to Best Buy today, but when I woke up, I got the steady green light vs. the dreaded amber all last night. No idea what happened, but I'll take it. Set up all 4 cameras and they are now monitoring the house.

Will wait and see if the signal keeps.

Tht1Guy
Tutor
Tutor
This typically never happens. I’ve read the last Time was in 2015. I’ve had mine for a yr with a glitch or two but was only down for 10min or so. You should be fine now. My suggestion, buy a hard drive and not depend on an internet connection. If the internet or a netgear issue occurs, the cameras never stop recording to an external storage device.
bkirkpatrick
Guide
Guide

Make sure you guys do a complete motion test.  Found out that these little P.O.S. cameras will not record until you get within 10'.  Yes, set motion sensitivity to 100%.  You can test the motion which works out to 25' (you will see the amber light blink) or so but will not record at that distance.  Makes no sense.  Going back to Sams Club tomorrow.  I posted another post about this which basically says that point of motion detection is not the same as point of start to record.

Tht1Guy
Tutor
Tutor
BkirkpAtrick: trust me, they do a lot further than 10’. Im no sales person for Arlo but I have both version camera and bases. What you need to do it become familiar with how it even works. The motion sensor is based on infrared. So basically changes in temperatures be it animals, people, plants, etc will set it off. The infrared can only go so far and is meant as a home or Office security, not the devices you spend $3000-$6000 for like they use at government facilities and high end businesses. Last night I picked up a pack of raccoons that were appx 15ft away and regularly pick up cars passing my house on the street which is 30ft away. If you want it to pick up further you can buy infrared illuminators from amazon, eBay, etc and those shoot the infrared beam up to 150ft away of you buy that model. Now, I have an open canyon behind my house and can reach with the WiFi but the infrared isn’t strong enough to illuminate the dark dense canyon. So I plan to get another camera and an illuminator and have the back side of my yard watched and if someone walks up on the property from the canyon. Some are also solar powered which makes it convenient. Now your camera will be able to see further and will pick up further away. Most people like myself have them around windows, doors, etc and can easily pick up 10-15’ away. I see it everyday when I pull down street and into my driveway. You can return it but this thing has saved me $1000s in safety and loss of items. Also, peace of mind knowing who is doing what and when such as that random guy knocking on your door and messing with your door. Some of mine are out in the open, others are more discrete for better angularity when watching my doors, gates, windows, etc. I have 10 cameras and the convenience, quality, consistency, etc is worth it to me. I also love the audio recording features which trigger the cameras for those that are just off the camera. If you have questions, PM me and I’ll try to help you out.
DarthTodd
Tutor
Tutor
I ended up taking mine back to Costco and picking up the Ring cams. The Friday night outage plus functionality with Android 8.0 and the mic were too much. Costco has the Ring doorbell 2 for 149 with free chime and 1 year of service, and Home Depot had the spotlight camera for 112 when you buy 2. All are 1080p and meet out to slightly less than the Arlo cams at 720p. Just in case anyone else is in the same boat as me.
Tht1Guy
Tutor
Tutor
Dartmouth, that sound like a great idea. Get rid of camera versatility and stick to only two cameras that have to be limited by mounting in a specific location like you front door and the driveway. Good luck on criminals accessing a side window or back yard. Oh wait, you can buy more but by the time your up and running you could have bought another Arlo set, other wireless camera, or a decent hard wired camera set.

I hope it works out for you but me personally, I need cameras “around” my house at various angles and heights. The 1 time in 2yr glitch doesn’t bother me.
DarthTodd
Tutor
Tutor
Yeah, I should be fine. Where I was going to use the Arlo cams, I can just use the Rings instead. I actually end up with 3 cameras, one with the added functionality of being a doorbell so win/win. Plus the extra resolution on all 3 cameras should give me better odds of identifying said bad guys. All plus's from where I stand.

Appreciate your concern though.
Tht1Guy
Tutor
Tutor
Darth: A doorbell camera on the roof or backdoor so you can have 1080p? A criminal can simply cover his face with his shirt and rip that doorbell right off just like they’ve been doing and selling them. At least the cameras can be mounted high enough where mr criminal needs to put in extra work. The spotlight cameras I like but the only prob is they don’t have night vision and your restricted to the bulb/wattage limitations. You simply cannot run a 150w bulb in it. So, most spot light bulbs only reach 10ft with decent camera resolution so the 1080p is useless at 15-20ft. You’ll only see a figure in the dimly lit distance. At least with an Arlo, if I buy an infrared illuminator for $39 I can record and see 150ft easy and record. Just think about that with the Arlo Pro 2 at 1080p and actually catching a bad guy. The resolution on the 720 isn’t as bad as you think and I can clearly identify people up close at my door. As far as filming my street, yea, I could prob use 1080p but I’ll just buy 3 Arlo Pro 2 and the issue is fixed. That’ll give me 10 cameras with Pro2, Pros, and a couple original arlo’s for those random touch up spots. I have to say the versatility and ease is far superior than spot light and doorbell cameras. I’ll give you one good reason why. If your internet goes down, uh oh, you’ve give nothing. At least if my internet has issues, my devices continues to record on a mini 2” 1TB hard drive with gobs storage. To each, his own, I guess. Stubborn is what stubborn does. Lol
bkirkpatrick
Guide
Guide

Tht1Guy:  You are coming off like someone who is losing stock in the company.  It doesn't take much to figure out how the system works with its limited features.  I have been working with computers, software, data packets, blah blah blah for 30 years and have installed about 6 of these types of systems.  Glad yours picked up raccoons at 15'.  I am  just letting everyone here know  what I ran into.  Motion detected during test at 20-25' but camera not recording until you get to about 5-10' of it.  I did jumping  jacks, raised my hands, and short of a seizure, moved a lot.  Camera did nothing.  I did another quality control check in my back yard which is a square formation.  Set the cameras up and you can walk the farthest side of the perimeter starting at about 20' and walk all the way around and never get a video recording.  

The camera is great for when the bad guy gets up to your house but for nothing else.  This would probably work great for indoors but all of my cameras passed the motion test at 20-25' but failed to record at that distance.

Tht1Guy
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks for the laugh. No, I’m not losing stock and your seizure comment was humorous. Go into your setting and increase the sensitivity. That’ll fix your prob man. Again, I record my truck and neighbors on the street every single day and they’re at least 30’ away. Granted a vehicle is large but I get people walking on my side of the sidewalk daily.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

RESOLVED: Some Arlo Base Station reporting as “Offline”

Following is an update on the Arlo Service interruption.  On Friday November 24, 2017 at approximately 11:00am Pacific time, we experienced a major service disruption which impacted Customer’s ability to access their Arlo Systems.   Services were restored at approximately 2:00am Pacific Time, Saturday November 25 although some Customers may have continued to experience issues for several hours after the fix was implemented.  If you are still experiencing an issue with your Arlo system, please contact support at:  1-(408)-638-3750.  We sincerely apologize for this service interruption and it certainly does not reflect our standards of service availability.  Our technical teams continue to work diligently to ensure services remain available and we are reviewing our internal processes and systems in order to prevent this from happening in the future.  Again, we apologize and thank you for your patience.

JamesC

Bellngham
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just got the issue resolved.. Base station was working fine with my previous comcast router..But router failed and I had to replace it with comcast..When I connected the new router, the internet came on fine for all laptops /mobile phones etc.But the Arlo base stubbornly refused to connect... constantly the amber light was lit.

I did the factory reset at the back of the station but did not help..Then I connected the LAN cable to one of my Google wifi routers and it started working...My guess is some information gets cached, expecially if you have a previous connection working...Connecting to a completely new ethernet connection point should work...(if the factory reset doesn't do the trick). Hope this helps.

NJRWP
Aspirant
Aspirant

My base station would not connect to the internet.  I checked everything, batteries in cameras, internet connection, reset the router, reset the base and nothing.  I chatted with a tech from arlo and she said go to "mode" and disconnect the base.  Then  press the reset button on the back of the base for 30 seconds, then power off and on the base station.  After add the base station under devices in your account.  This worked for me, after it connects, you have to re sync the cameras.

Cshock
Aspirant
Aspirant

Uggh, I'm into hour 20 of easy setup.  My base station connects and disconnects all the time.  So upon reading the above, if I hit the reset button, I'm suppose to hold it down the whole time along with the sync button until all the lights come on green?  Or just hit the reset button and release?  Why does mine connect sometimes then disconnects frequently?  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Old information. Press and hold only the reset button until the LEDs flash amber. ALso remove all devices found in Settings, My Devices. Start fresh using the Add Device button in the Devices tab. Verify that all firmware is up to date by comparing what's found in Settings, My Devices, your cameras/base, Device Info to what's posted in the Release Notes section here.

Furymoo
Aspirant
Aspirant
Well my connects internet just fine, solid green light , but can not find base via app yes it’s on same network reset both base router no working , worse of all can not do factory reset when reset and sync both depressed ...help!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The current reset procedure is to press only the reset button until the LEDs flash amber. We're told the old directions that include pressing the sync button is a known issue and will be removed.