Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo "base" device goes offline randomly

Discussion stats
k000
Star
Star

Just got 3 camera set and set it up. I am notcicing that randomly I get the error that "Your device is offline" for the base station, and of course alongwith that cameras show offline. 

Can someone shed some light and suggest what is going on? Clearly its not a issue of camera batteries or Wifi.. as base station which is hardwired is showing the symptoms, any help is appreciated. 

82 REPLIES 82
TomWho
Tutor
Tutor

Software is broken.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

which software specifically are you referring to?

TomWho
Tutor
Tutor

version 2 base

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

TomWho,

Could you give more detail on what you are experiencing?

JamesC

TomWho
Tutor
Tutor

When I login if I try to go to the hub it says 'offlne'. Sometimes it will come 'online' buy usually not. Devices are usually online and working.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

TomWho,

What client are you using that shows this behavior? (web client, mobile app)

Do you see the same behavior regardless of which client?

What model/OS version are you using

JamesC

TomWho
Tutor
Tutor

Any Android or Windows. Wifi signal from the hub stays fine.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

TomWho,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

taperrone
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am having the same issue. Worked for a month and then had to hold the reset button to clear the system then add the base station back in then re synch the cameras. It's got to be software.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Did you in fact reset and start fresh? When you reset, did you also remove all devices from Settings, My Devices? 

Doesn't sound like software since others are having no issues.  Hardware would seem to be more likely.

taperrone
Aspirant
Aspirant

I reset the base using the reset button for 10 seconds then added the base a=
nd then the camera. I never removed anything. This is only one month old
TomWho
Tutor
Tutor

Re synced mine shortly after un boxing. Didn't help longer term. I do have anolder base station that came with an older camera. I'll try that when I get time.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
When you reset, you MUST remove all devices from Settings, My Devices. Try the full procedure.
TomWho
Tutor
Tutor

Yea.

binaryboyz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I recently bough this new camera and base unit. I have the latest version of firmware: 2.4.3.821_17721 (Released: 08/08/17) and a stable internet connection (virgin media). I am still getting this problem once a week. this is very annoying. I was away for 2 days and camera went offline. Is there any fix for it? 

Thanks,

Jas

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You gave us the app version, not hardware.  Check again and compare to what's listed in the Release Notes area here.

Laurajane
Aspirant
Aspirant
Mine now only goes offline if there is a powercut. Arlo tries to reconnect before my broadband is ready and then gives up and goes offline - a minute or so layer, my broadband is back up but Arlo stays offline. I've fixed this by getting a smart plug. The only problem now is I don't get an alert when there is a powercut but I check the app frequently.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A UPS for your modem, router and base would resolve the power cut issue.

wayneg51
Tutor
Tutor

I"m joining in with a me too! My Base goes off line about every 8-10 hours. Turning off and then turning back on brings it online once again. Have done the complete reset/resync of cameras, new batteries, ect. Nothing works except  power off then on. Has been working for 8 months prior to this flawlessly. Get message "This device is offline" for each camera and always all at once. They either all work or none. Very frustrating!  Arlo/Netgear need to get this fixed!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What are the LEDs on the base showing when "offline"?  If all green, it's likely some sort of display issue rather than the base/cameras being offline.

wayneg51
Tutor
Tutor

The Lights are Green-Orange-Green when offline. Power green, network orange, camera green. Has solid ethernet connection to router, tried replacing the ethernet cable- same results. Holds connection for only about 6-8 hrs before dropping.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It may be a base problem. First, though, have you tried resetting the system by removing all devices from Settings, My Devices and starting fresh? Sometimes it takes a brute force approach.  If all else fails, having a case open with support and staying on them, even if they don't respond quickly enough, is what's likely needed for a resolution.

wayneg51
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks, I've already tried the nuke it approach, didn't change. I guess it's time to contact Arlo and get a case opened. Yuch!

Manuinny
Aspirant
Aspirant
Except switching on / off my base I don’t know what to do. And the issue is that the cameras are 600 miles away from where I live.
What can we do ?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If it's something that require physical presence to fix, you would need to have someone with access to help you out. The big question is why they went offline.  We'd need to know what the LEDs on the base are showing and whether the batteries in the cameras are good.

Did you have a power outage?  That's the usual issue, with the base not reconnecting, perhaps due to the base being ready before the router finished rebooting. We've taken to recommending a UPS, especially for remote locations, for your modem, router and base so power outages don't affect your network connection.  That also helps keep the batteries in the cameas from depleting due to trying to connect to the base which is down.  A WiFi switch such as a WeMo may be useful when plugged inbetween the UPS and base, too, so that you can power cycle the base without having to be present.