Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo "base" device goes offline randomly

Discussion stats
k000
Star
Star

Just got 3 camera set and set it up. I am notcicing that randomly I get the error that "Your device is offline" for the base station, and of course alongwith that cameras show offline. 

Can someone shed some light and suggest what is going on? Clearly its not a issue of camera batteries or Wifi.. as base station which is hardwired is showing the symptoms, any help is appreciated. 

82 REPLIES 82
AH19
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi K000 I am having exactly the same issues that your experiencing...hopefully someone can get some answers on why this is happening. AAH
Azelectric
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just got my system today and I'm experiencing the same problem with random offline device status....Dissatisfied totally! !
Seank214
Aspirant
Aspirant
I too am experiencing this. A few weeks ago it was on camera going off line. Now the base station with all cameras. I liked the system until this started happening now I wouldn't recomend it to anyone...
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Can be a variety of issues.  A first step would be to say whether you're using the app or web.  Have you tried the other? Try logging out and back in.

k000
Star
Star
I saw base station offline on both App and Website.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

And did logging out and back in help? Additionally, what are the LEDs on the base showing?

k000
Star
Star
No, it did not help. Base Station stayed offline for 15 to 20 minutes and then mysteriously came back up.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

When offline, be sure to check the LEDs on the base.  Should be 3 green ones.  If not, tell us what you see.

bowen21
Initiate
Initiate

Having the EXACT same issue, all 3 LEDs are Green during that time. Internet is up and working. I have the same model of basestation at another house with the same firmware (1.73_5005) and it is working ok. I have tried with the app & the web interface. I click "Live" and the device shows Offline right after the stream starts, then comes back about 30 seconds to 1 min later. Very frustrating, I just purchased the 4 camera system yesterday. $500 is a bit much to pay for a non-functional system.

rockstarpilot
Aspirant
Aspirant
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If restarting the router and base (do both in that order), changing batteries in the cameras and logging out/in of the app or browser doesn't work, it'll be fastest to try a complete system reset.  Remove all devices in Settings, My Devices, factory reset the base using the reset button until the LEDs flash amber and open and close all battery doors.  Now use the Add Device button at the bottom of the Cameras tab to add the base back in and then sync the cameras, also using the Add Device button.  Be sure to note any settings, modes/rules and schedule before doing this so you can quickly get back to where you were.

k000
Star
Star
Are there any updates planned from Netgear as this seems to be a known issue needing resets?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There does seem to be some fragility in these systems requiring resets. No idea why nor if something is forthcoming that would help out. We can only hope.

My system has been reliable with the exception of one camera deciding to die a while ago which was replaced under warranty. I have swapped things around to help me see the various issues so my configuration changes on occasion. Resets were of my own doing with no need to have done so other than to just have a fresh setup. I think I have something I can just leave alone now.

gaheyrman34
Star
Star

In the last week my 5 cameras are going OFFLINE very often, I have not had this problem in the last 6 months. I'm VERY UNHAPPY, after spending $1000 and these cameras are not worth "0". I beleive it is the last software update.

My Base Version # 2.1.1.766_13329. Released June16,2016

Firmware : 1.7.5_6178

Version: 2.1.1

Hardware: VMB3010r2            Released June 14,2016

Serial #.   48935A71AO23E

I demand an ANSWER TO THIS PROBLEM!!!      The las excuse I got from someone named "JAMESC, he said it was weak batteries. NOT A GOOD ANSWER FOR THE PROBLEM.

GAH

vint83
Guide
Guide

gaheyrman34 wrote:

In the last week my 5 cameras are going OFFLINE very often, I have not had this problem in the last 6 months. I'm VERY UNHAPPY, after spending $1000 and these cameras are not worth "0". I beleive it is the last software update.

GAH

And you are not alone.  

e.g.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Wire-Free-camera/Have-been-getting-numerous-quot-Camera-is-off...

And Netgear employees still insist that its an interference and that we have to move Arlo base station around. 

Right, @JamesC ?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

gaheyrman34,

If you have ruled out possible interference from other WiFi devices and have replaced your cameras with fresh batteries but still are experiencing this issue, consider contacting the Arlo Support Team for further investigation. If you have any additional questions/concerns feel free to private message me.

JamesC

Hundo
Initiate
Initiate
I've had mine a week and I must constantly reset the base station because I'm offline very irritating to say the least and then I read all of these customers with same issue seems a defective product to say the least.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The times I get offline I can usually clear it by either waiting a minute or logging out and back in.  If it doesn't help, contact support.

Hundo
Initiate
Initiate
Funny hasn't happened once after this post?!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I just had a firmware update on my Pro base - perhaps you did too and happened to see it rebooting?  Otherwise, it can be caused by anything that blocks communications back to the servers.

TomWho
Tutor
Tutor

Yea. Thought I bought a working system too.

woolenegg
Tutor
Tutor

I have been having the same issue (posted separately the other day). The base station shows 3 steady green lights. At first the cameras will show with the "Live" button and the last image they collected. The base station will show "Getting status..." I can click the live button on a camera and it will go live. But within a few seconds the base station will show "Offline" and then the cameras show as offline as well.

Today we removed devices, reset the base station, re-added and re-named it, and then re-synced the two cameras. Both synced correctly as shown by a fast blinking blue LED. The base station shows three steady green LEDs. The first camera we synced even sensed motion and collected two videos while we were getting the second camera synced. We got the alert on the phone and then the notification email. I have the two videos in my library. Then the system went offline again.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the phone app. I've logged in/out from web and app multiple times. The system is still offline and remains offline, except for when you first log in and the system is "getting status..." Then you are able to click "Live" on the cameras and they will come on... until the base station goes offline several seconds later.

Laurajane
Aspirant
Aspirant
I keep having power cuts and I think the camera restarts quicker than my hub comes back on so the camera gives up. I have had to get a plug to manually restart the cameras and then it reconnects to the router.
manfredz
Hero
Hero

maybe plugging your router/modem and base station into an UPS might solve your problem.