Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Wired video doorbell no speaker audio when doorbell is pressed

Discussion stats
Swolff
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an updated my Iphone to IOS 15 and I cannot talk through my doorbell when someone rings the doorbell but if I go to watch live feed I can talk. Did I miss something when setting it up?

72 REPLIES 72
James6
Tutor
Tutor
Yes, I have not had any update from the customer service team for almost 2 weeks now
yusoman
Guide
Guide

I have two brand new units. Each one I bought for two different locations. My WiFi signal is strong at the installed locations (<15 ft from main Google Nest WiFi Router). ISP service, fiber w 100MB/100MB symmetrical down/up-loads.

Both devices audio devices, speaker and mic are functional (confirmed via other methods)... except when someone at the door, presses the button, the Arlo places a call, a phone either at home (connected to WiFi), or on the run, answers via a cell service. 

The two way communication fails. The person at the door can NOT hear the person whom answered the door. The person that answer the phone CAN hear the person at the door.

The phones in question, yes, tried it with different iPhones models and iOS version, the Mic setting in iPhone is ON, the mic in the App setting is ON, and the mic for the specific device insider the App is also ON. 

This happens 100% of the time every time.

So, given the device's devices (mic and speaker) are functional, I started to try different things. This is what I concluded, and I am able to recreate this condition to 100%, as it was failing 100% of the times, and now works 100% of the time.

If I turn the device's mic OFF in the App, that is the Arlo Doorbell in question, and only the deice in question to OFF, then the two-way audio works 100% of the time when the Doorbell dials a phone, and the phone (two different iPhones in this case) answer the call. Two way audio works!.

Now, since the setting if OFF, if one wants to go LIVE started from the App, during the live session, the App would indicate, that the mic is not active. Given in that instance a link to set the Mic to ON in the audio settings. When the link is used, and in the audio settings the Mic is set to ON, allowing a LIVE 2-way comm.

When the Mic is set to ON, through this indirect way, I have had cases where during a subsequent call by the Arlo doorbell, the 2-way comm may work. But I have seen it failed. Thus, I keep it OFF, to ensure calling 2-way works, and when I need to go LIVE, then turn ON on demand, then turn OFF.

Arlo team, I hope you are reading this and following, since either your iPhone App has an issue, or there is some firmware/software bug on your devices, which I doubt, but I would bet on the App. The software seems confused about when the Mic is ON or OFF.  

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Can you download the latest version of the Arlo mobile app v3.5.10 and test again. 

James6
Tutor
Tutor
Yea I’ve done that and still not working properly
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

yusoman,

Thank you for the feedback. I will pass this along to the development team for further investigation.

JamesC

hilly82
Aspirant
Aspirant

My video doorbell has stopped doing two way audio i can hear the person at the door but they can not hear me speaking back. I have reset the doorbell  and this does fix the issue but only for a couple of days like wise for deleting the app and reinstalling. Please help

tue_nielsen
Aspirant
Aspirant
Dont know if this helps.

I had the same problem and found this thread.
When someone pushed the doorbell button and answered the call. I could hear them but person at doorbell could not hear me.

I then tried to connect to live view.
And when i did this it asked me if i would allow arlo to connect to devices on my local network. “A standard apple security popup”
Message was in Danish. So cannot translate exact english message.

After this it worked when pushing the doorbell. But have only quicktested it.

Maybe you can get this prompt again by uninstalling and installing again?
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi,

The latest version of the Arlo app v3.5.12 has been released. Can you update Your Arlo app to this version and test this issue again. If you do not see the update option, you can remove > Reinstall the Arlo ap to the latest version

Thanks

GregS99
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the exact same issue with an AVD2001Aer1.1 - I actually have two in the house (front door and courtyard, hard wired, charging just fine).  I'm using a new Orbi system connected to 1 gig up/down fiber (clocks at 940 up and down).  I have removed wifi6 setting for 2.4 wifi.  I've come from twin Ring.com doorbells (fairly large delay) but thinking about going back to brand new ones since they at least worked 100% of the time.  My issue is 1 way audio exactly as described 100% of the time.  I have a brand new ProMax 13.  

I called support one time, and it was worthless, eventually ran out of time after describing issue, and it wasn't making any progress, my understanding of the product far exceeded that of support at the time.  

I have also set both to lower resolution just to ensure there wasn't a resource constraint.

Reviewing Arlo app settings, I located via audio 'off' (not mute when call answers). Unfortunately I'm 300 miles away from this location most of the time, so it is hard for me to really test.  With that said I've set both to off for audio and will see how it goes.

I keep thinking Arlo will fix permanently via firmware, as audio doorbell that doesn't have two way audio is sort of a problem. Kind of like a brand new car that won't start or drive, not so good for business. 

I'm a CTO during my work life, and am frustrated when tech doesn't live up to the hype.

RobMo150
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just added the wired doorbell.   Same issue, they can’t hear me.  Deleted app, reinstalled.  Volume is up, comment messages work.   I’m IOS on iPhone 12.   

James6
Tutor
Tutor
I’m still having issues too
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Do you have the latest version of the Arlo mobile app installed v3.5.12?

James6
Tutor
Tutor
Yes
RobMo150
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yes. Latest version via delete and install.
MarcLopez
Initiate
Initiate

My wife and I are experiencing the same issue--She is on an iphone 13Pro and I am using an Android (Samsung ZFold 2).  When someone rings the bell, we receive good audio and video from the door bell but the person at the doorbell cannot hear us nor will the automatic text messaging put out any audio.  We have the same audio issue even when we are live streaming the door bell camera-we hear and see everything but the bell's speaker is not outputting any audio.   I have accomplished everything suggested in this Support Thread - my Arlo App version is currently 3.5.10_28415 and I cannot find the new update you suggested.  We are running the Pro3 SmartHub Base Station VMB4540r3 and the firmware version is 1.17.0.0_1053_6ba79e5.  Also audio and video is fully functional on my 3 other Arlo Pro3 cameras outside my house.  I am beginning to think its time to return the doorbell as defective; particularly in light of the fact the so many other customers are having similar issues without a solution.  Please advise.

Most respectfully,

Marco Lopez

James6
Tutor
Tutor
I’ve had this issue for about 4+ months now and had issues with the doorbell since I bought it. I’m at the point where it’s actually pointless having it and would be better off just having a standard button one - or buying a video one from a different company that can actually deliver a working product
Swolff
Aspirant
Aspirant
James6 I would have to agree with you. But hey did you try deleting the app and reinstalling again? That’s all I hear but not a solution in sight. Should have went with a ring I guess. I might mark this as the solution because it is the only thing that seems like it will work
RobMo150
Apprentice
Apprentice
I think the part about delete the app is right. Delete the app and return it. I don’t think their QA process is very good. Wonder if they use test plans and automation testing, or just code and release.
James6
Tutor
Tutor
I’ve deleted the app a few times, De-linked the doorbell from my account and set it back up 4 times and still have no joy.
I have a support ticket open about it but no one has replied since the start of November even though I have chased it numerous times - but they’ve got my money now so seems like they don’t care
yusoman
Guide
Guide

I am of the same opinion.

This is so basic, and so many people have complained, as I have read, that I am surprised this is not being addressed with a sense of urgency.

I watched a video in YouTube from a reviewer, not even recently that had the same complaint.

I wish I would have watched and researched on this. I debated to buy Ring vs Arlo. We own two homes, and decided to go hybrid. I have not installed on both, I regret the purchase. Since I committed myself at both locations on the (not functioning Two-Audio) Arlo Doorbell. 

Both my homes have and use Ring as full on Security system, but I am using Arlo Cameras (Doorbell + Arlo pro-4) in one, and Ring cameras all around at another one, since I wanted to get acquainted with both technologies. The DoorBell in both is Arlo, since I wanted to have just one DoorBell solution.

I both Arlo Pro-4 and DoorBells first, the Ring Security and cameras later. Which again, I greatly regret. Since Ring integrates much better with Alexa.

I am also in the technology field. I have worked in product development engineering for over 36 years for two mayor US companies, designing complex firmware in several areas. 

I live in MN, I have an Arlo Pro-4 that is using power 100% of the time. I have learned that, when a battery is installed and due to extreme low temps as we have in MN, even when these are powered, the HW/FW would not "override" the use of the battery and operate on strictly power. To the contrary, since the low temps, and the battery not being obviously abled to charge or the draw from it, the camera faults, and it is rendered useless!

As reader early "wisely" suggested "remove the battery", that was obvious and I indeed this. But, the point I was after was to depend on the battery as a backup, in the eventuality that during most of the winter when it is not so cold, it would have and use the battery as back up. Why? Since the light that provides power is on a switch, that could be by mistake, turned off, thus, why the idea for both power and battery, being a security device, attempts to function 100% of the time.

Anyhow, two key flaws in their product line:

• DoorBell - two way audio issues. By the way, I solved quite literately and awkwardly by turning in under the device specific "Audio Settings" the Mic to OFF. Yes, that strangely enough, turn it off, and two audio works!  But, there is a but... if you go live, the two way audio doesn't work, since the setting is off! So, one must turn ON for live to operate. I have had cases, where left ON, once gone the awkward path, the two-audio works, until it doesn't and the fix must be applied. Making even more cumbersome.

• Arlo Pro-4... fails to operate under extreme weather, even when connected to power! HW/FW not able to override the Battery operations. Note: The bought a Flood Light that has a USB port to charge the Arlo. This is sold as a compatible device, which is indeed... until Arlo Pro-4 stops to function under extreme weather. 
Safer
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recently installed two wired video doorbells and experience the same issue. Audio works fine when I use live view but doesn't work when answering to a doorbell press. I'm on latest firmwares, app, and iOS releases. If I restart the basestation (WMB5000) then it works fine only for a very short while after which it returns to this issue. A bit concerning since I've now found old posts with similar issues reported so it seems to be unresolved. Looking forward to have it resolved since I think it's the most important feature to have in a video doorbell.

sclofonio
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same issue here, currently escalated to level 3 support.

Having this since 2 months, I am fed up.

Sadly ordered another competitor video doorbell.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @sclofonio

Did you happen to receive my PM on Tuesday?

sclofonio
Aspirant
Aspirant

hello Shayne, not received!

sclofonio
Aspirant
Aspirant

hi @ShayneS 

no PM received unfortunately!

Discussion stats