Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Elboydo
Guide
Guide
I have activity zones setup on my new video doorbell in an attempt to stop cars going by sending notifications. However the app keeps flagging motion in the non-active area. Is there an update or a work around for this issue?
163 REPLIES 163
unlimitedsounds
Luminary
Luminary
Don’t work for me. I have custom mode and set sensitivity there. Still get random notifications and recordings With no motion. Arlo support opened a case and I submitted samples.
Frustrated55
Tutor
Tutor
Sorry to hear that. Have you set up an activity zone? I created only one, not to complicate it.
If you haven't done so, create one with a small area which would not be typically be triggered. I set sensitivity to 20 and only detect people.
Maybe i just got lucky!
But it works flawlessly now.
unlimitedsounds
Luminary
Luminary
This thread is alot zones not working, so yes I’ve setup zones. I can’t get my sensitivity to 20 as then it picks up nothing. I’m on 88 for this camera.
Clendinning
Apprentice
Apprentice

Unless there is a drastic change in the Arlo company, I shall no longer purchase their products. I had a video doorbell at my previous house. I have now moved. I tried to help Arlo solve their problems with the video doorbell, but it seems like the technical staff is totally incompetent. I have given up. I am signing out of the Arlo community and for my new house will seek another solution.

Good luck to you all.

Kind Regards,

-kirk-

unlimitedsounds
Luminary
Luminary
I’ve had great luck with my arlo pro cameras. Not with the video doorbell. They just give the answer that the tech team will look this. But never a resolution. From looking in the forum, the zones and pickup to motion types that aren’t selected has been going on since last year with the same response from support. This new issue with detecting motion that isn’t there is new, but must be related to something arlo did recently as it wasn’t doing this when I first installed the unit a ago.
catsmeowgh
Guide
Guide

Yes, I set up one small zone. Where did you set the sensitivity level ?

unlimitedsounds
Luminary
Luminary
It’s set In the mode and motion rule for the camera.
catsmeowgh
Guide
Guide

Thank you, I found the setting and changed it to 20%. We will see how it works.

unlimitedsounds
Luminary
Luminary
For me, I found 20 to be not sensitive enough. It only picked up motion if you were on my doorstep or very close. I breed out to pickup motion along the walkway to my doorstep. Let me know how 20 works out. Maybe since they changed the cloud settings a few weeks ago this works different.
Jsmitty66
Apprentice
Apprentice

I was getting responses (empty promises though they were) after I opened a Better Business Bureau case a couple of weeks ago, but now those have stopped.  Arlo simply will not take responsibility for this failed product.  Like others in this forum, I have several other cameras (Pro, Pro 2) that work just fine, but this lack of customer service response and lack of accountability from Arlo has soured me completely.  They will get no more of my business and I will not go away until I get a refund for this Video Doorbell.

DFgatcha
Initiate
Initiate

I'm happy to report I've solved this problem with about 30mins of work.

Step1.  Remove Arlo video doorbell

Step 2.  Install Ring doorbell pro

Step3.  Enable zones on ring doorbell

Step 4.  Return Arlo

Sorry Arlo, but I gave you many chances.

unlimitedsounds
Luminary
Luminary

LOL. I dont really want to switch, so I am hoping this gets resolved.  Plus I am past my 30 days...

Spatman
Guide
Guide
I replaced my Ring doorbell with the Arlo doorbell because I didn’t care for Ring’s approach to privacy and it’s cooperation with cops in some areas.

That said, Arlo has fumbled this product in a major way whereas Ring is leaps ahead in both stability and customer support.

I spoke with a representative a couple days ago and was told that a new backend software rollout is expected within the next day or two. I was walked through a few steps to deactivate then reactivate the doorbell, etc etc and then told to give it a few days and see if any changes are noticeable.

So far, nothing has changed. Getting constant alerts for motion well outside the activity zone with only person selected.

Going to cancel the subscription service if this isn’t resolved by the end of the month and look for alternatives.
unlimitedsounds
Luminary
Luminary

So there is new backend software coming out? I wish they would tell us when this is rolling out and I HOPE it resolves the issue.  I do not really want to switch to a different brand, because I like the field of view on ARLO.  You can see MUCH MORE then other brands of doorbell cameras.

Spatman
Guide
Guide
That’s what I was told, but not given any specifics other than “within the next few days”. And that was on Wednesday, 6/17.
Jsmitty66
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo has told me multiple times over the last 6 months that an update has been released that has solved the issue. No improvement. 

Elboydo
Guide
Guide

i am the original poster on this message thread and it is disapointing that Arlo has not been able to fix this issue as it has been going on for quite some time. Their other products are great, but the video doorbell has had nothing but issues. while arlo is taking their time to fix a feature, is it possible that  Arlo can at least waive the monthly fee for a service that is not working?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Improvements have been released for Activity Zone accuracy. More improvements are still being worked on for users continuing to experience issues with Activity Zones.

If you're still experiencing issues, I encourage you to reach out to the Arlo Support Team and open a ticket. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

unlimitedsounds
Luminary
Luminary

I have a ticket opened.  Nothing has changed with any updates that you keep mentioning.

Thanks...

Spatman
Guide
Guide
I have a ticket open and have been in contact with support reps who often ask for information I’ve already provided. I’ve also spoken with a support rep about this issue and nothing has changed.

We’re not looking for “improvements”. We want the activity zone feature to actually function as intended.

The improvements you should be working on are better customer support and finding engineers that can fix this broken product.
aa1113
Apprentice
Apprentice

Agree, I also get multiple notifications outside of my zones. And also agree that we are paying for a service that is not working. 

catsmeowgh
Guide
Guide

I have not had any false alarms with the sensitivity set to 20

unlimitedsounds
Luminary
Luminary
But, what is it actually picking up at that 20 setting? How far away does it pick up? Does it contain to your zones and which smart notifications you have set? For example I have vehicles off and it picks up. I guess you can make it so non-sensitive that you have to be right in front to have it pick things up, which isn’t what most want. I want it to pickup the pathway to my front door as well as front door.
aa1113
Apprentice
Apprentice
Same here. Now it sends vehicle notifications when some one walks on the sidewalk. First of all they are not vehicles and second I have vehicles turned off. I keep donating the videos to Arlo hoping that someone sees them
Frustrated55
Tutor
Tutor
Since i set up a limited activity zone , only person detection and sensitivity 20 in the custom mode setting. I have not had either a false alarm not missed alarm in about a week it detected persons correctly in. And i had all the problems started in this blog.
Seems like the effective zone is twice the size of what you set. So set it accordingly.