Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Jorro
Star
Star
When Arlo Video Doorbell button is pressed I hear the chime, my phone rings, I can answer ( talk and hear), But no video is showing - only gray screen with the rolling circle.
By the way it is the same with my Arlo Audio Doorbell and the paired camera.
I can answer, I can talk and hear, But no video is showing - only gray screen with rolling circle (like trying to load something). This has been like that for almost a year now with the Audio Door bell. And now the VideoDoor bell doesn’t show video.
I use iPhone XS Max with the latest updates for OS and App.
Any thoughts?

Any
Best answers
  • BigBenAZ
    Aspirant
    Aspirant

I had this exact same problem. I reinstalled the app and when it asked for permissions I chose "When using the app" and now it works. I have an Android phone, Samsung S21 Ultra 5G. 

98 REPLIES 98
Manolo86
Apprentice
Apprentice
I take my post back. It degraded to garbage again.
Chisolm
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have an s10, followed your advice, is working now! Thanks!
Manolo86
Apprentice
Apprentice
Just got the gray screen today for about 30 seconds, and then it normalized. That's great if I want to wait 30 seconds to see who is at the door. Again, no it's not my problem or anything I did, and I've troubleshooted everything multiple times. Arlo needs to stop selling products before adequately testing them and the app first. However, it does seem worse when connected to my Echo Spot.
AnthonyNJ
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am in the same boat as everyone. No video from Arlo Doorbell on either of our IPhones (XS Max), Echo Show, Hussein. Doorbell is connected to Arlo Bass station. It’s pretty crazy that the company can’t figure it out.
n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Hi Anthony! Do you have your Arlo based plugged directly into your router?
Danielito
Aspirant
Aspirant

@AnthonyNJ

Im curious: how exactly is your doorbell connected to your Arlo Base station? That is impossible (and that is argued to be a whole separate issue) since it's a standalone product connecting directly to your WiFi. 

Manolo86
Apprentice
Apprentice
Incorrecto! My Doorbell is also connected to my VMB4540. It was originally a standalone product until people complained that they wanted local storage for it. Who wants it separate from the other products anyway?
Manolo86
Apprentice
Apprentice
The VPN is a non-issue for me. I don't have one at home, and I have my phone's VPN set to route Arlo around the VPN.
AnthonyNJ
Aspirant
Aspirant
AnthonyNJ
Aspirant
Aspirant
@Danielito ugh it’s clearly possible. I already had 3 Arlo cameras when I setup my Arlo doorbell and during setup it didn’t give me any other options. Note: I can view video from Arlo Video Doorbell just fine during any other occurrence. I can view recorded clips etc. it’s just when someone presses the button it goes into video-idiot mode.
n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Hi Anthony, does the router still have the default factory settings?

Who is your internet service provider?
AnthonyNJ
Aspirant
Aspirant
Verizon Fios. Default router settings ? Of course not. I have a bunch of port forwards, changed password, disabled UnPnP etc. The usual normal router setup.
n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Hi Anthony, one very important setting to check with Verizon FIOS.

Please confirm Home Network Protection on the Verizon Fios router is disabled. It can be done from the Verizon Fios app as well.

That one setting made me insane for almost 10 months when I was troubleshooting why my Arlo Ultra system would not consistently work and cameras, doorbell, and door chime would randomly drop connections.

It’s a McAfee security setting that the Arlo system does not like!!

Disabling this can help you tremendously!!!
AnthonyNJ
Aspirant
Aspirant
I don’t use Verizon router hardware. Never have. Netgear Orbi.
AnthonyNJ
Aspirant
Aspirant
Mobileste’s suggestion did it for me:

Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Arlo > Always
Manolo86
Apprentice
Apprentice
Already done....
Manolo86
Apprentice
Apprentice
Today, I finally had a successful communication with someone through the doorbell. I was so surprised and impressed that it finally did what it was supposed to. The communique was through mobile data no less. I won't hold my breath that it will continue, especially since it severely pixelated in a recording shortly after.....
beccanels10
Tutor
Tutor

@AnthonyNJ - Worked for me too!

Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Arlo > Always

CoreyKellett
Aspirant
Aspirant
I did find the problem did come back even after resetting the doorbell after about a month and a half I have found what the problem was you need to go into your modem and turn off firewall from Internet provider it seems to get in the way of your video has worked ever since.
Seaeagles
Guide
Guide
I have the same issue.
The live feed takes A minimum 3 minutes ‘connecting’ (sometimes up to 6minutes) before i Can see live.
When the doorbell is pressed we do not get any live feed and no audio either.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Seaeagles,

This is not typical behavior. Who is your ISP and what your download/upload speeds?

JamesC

ARLO_ROCKS
Star
Star

Hi James,

The issue more than likely is with your software.  I have a PC, an Apple Ipad (IOS 12) and an Android phone.  I find that the software in combination with the hardware connection either causes a hit or miss with the video.  For instance, if I'm remote using 4G, their is a significant lag and I often get a grey screen covering most of the view.  If I'm home (wifi speeds over 100mps down and up), it takes time for your software to open on the ipad - the person is usually gone by the time all shows up.  MY PC doesn't answer the doorbell at all, but the software works the best overall.  I can see that they are all different versions.  

In any event, after 5 years of using your cameras and now the video doorbells, I was given a "free" Nest indoor camera from Verizon.  I couldn't believe the difference in response time/quality.  While you give "free" storage for up to five cameras, your doorbell forced me to pay 2.99 per month for a virtually non-working device....it is basically a camera.  In the interim, 3 of the 5 cameras have failed.  They all eventually stop "syncing."  They power up fine (blue light when removing batteries), but the sync light never appears.  The failure begins by constantly going offline to where I proceed to remove the device, never to get it back.  These are the older VMC3030 cameras - but since they all failed within 2 months of each other, a big-brother firmware update might just be the culprit.   Which scares me.  The technology today allows for unfortunately the ability to zap/kill hardware via WiFI.

After six months of back and forth with the video doorbell and your tech support, they advised me that no refunds could ever be issued, that they will only switch out hardware or try to troubleshoot.  Luckily for me, in November when you released the doorbell, you did not have any in stock and you referred me to Amazon to purchase the doorbell.  Last week, I contacted them and they refunded me about 90% of the cost.  I've since replaced it with the Nest Hello doorbell and what a difference.  Yes, there's a 6.00 monthly fee, but this covers all cameras.  The cameras are constantly live so there's no startup on each view of library.  The HD quality is superior to yours.  I'm sorry to say, that now with only two cameras left, I'm transitioning over to Nest.  

I originally purchased your system due to the "Netgear" connection, but we all know that no longer exists.  Please do not "insult" our intelligence with your  "that shouldn't be happening" responses.    You released this doorbell knowing there was a grey screen/software issues  specifically on remote access (the tech department admitted  this to me two weeks after I installed it in December).   I would rather a company admit their issues and use our feedback to fix them and not use their customers as "beta" testers.  

While I was attracted to your cameras due to their completely wire free design, I never realized that I had outlets outdoors and could have used wired cameras all along.  I also am a realist and was aware that the battery power would likely cause additional lags and accepted it for convenience.  Again, you offered free library storage to compensate so no complaints there.  However, since purchasing the Pro 2 the lag is still ever present.  I upped my WIFI speeds, but it really didn't make much difference.  Now that I have the Nest, I see a difference.  

CoreyKellett
Aspirant
Aspirant
Telstra is my provider.
My speed is 94.5mb/s down 37 mb/s upload.
Seaeagles
Guide
Guide
My NBN was with Optus and I changed to Vodafone this week in a hope it would help. But it has not.
Averaging 46Mbps download and 12Mbps upload

- It’s still taking minutes to connect to live feed
- when the doorbell rings it takes about 5 seconds to respond on my phone
- the screen shows gray/green or the very few times the picture comes up it freezes
- the audio barely works
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Seaeagles,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC