Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
GordonScot
Guide
Guide

For a while now, my night time video recordings have shown severe pixelation. Mostly with vehicles (see attached picture) but also with people walking by if they walk fast. 
Version is 3.5.8 released Oct. 12 2021. According to my app, no updates available.
Motion is set at 80. 

Motion sensitivity is set at 90.

Flicker adjustment is set to “auto”. 
Brightness is set to 0.

Video Settings: 

Auto HDR “on”

Night Vision “on”.  NOTE, turning this OFF made no difference.

Video quality 1536sq. 
This is a wired video doorbell.

Thanks for any help you can provide! 

D241FBFB-7265-4A64-80A8-58417DF5C3DA.png
Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The firmware that should resolve this issue has finished testing and we expect it will be available this week. I will provide more information as it becomes available.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The development team is currently testing a firmware fix that should alleviate the symptoms being discussed here. Once that testing is complete, the fix will be made available to all users. I will provide another update once I have more information to share.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

We're currently reviewing a possible solution for these reports. I'm not able to provide an exact timeline for release but this will likely be available in a future (within the coming weeks) firmware update.

I will post new information as it becomes available.

JamesC

91 REPLIES 91
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team is investigating reports of this issue. i will provide an update once I have more information to share here on the community.

JamesC

SpaMG
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you for the update James. Really sad to hear that you still investigating just reports of the problem. Thought you are working on solution. I hope this will be your highest priority from now on.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

We're currently reviewing a possible solution for these reports. I'm not able to provide an exact timeline for release but this will likely be available in a future (within the coming weeks) firmware update.

I will post new information as it becomes available.

JamesC

TheWindyCity
Aspirant
Aspirant

Watching this thread. Just installed this new doorbell AVD1001 and experiencing nightime motion pixelation. Tried all the previous suggestions to no avail.  Attached photo of passing vehicle , pixelated

20220214_072741 (Large).jpg
DudeMac17
Tutor
Tutor
Welcome to the party! As I’m sure you have read, the Arlo team says they’re aware and working on it and will have a fix in coming weeks.

I’m hopeful, but not holding my breath. Unless you’re already in deep with the Arlo eco system, I’d return it and get a ring pro. Lord knows when we’ll actually get a firmware update to fix this and the security of your home isn’t something worth leaving in the hands (quite literally) of a lazy developer.

No offense Arlo team, but this has gone on way way way too long.
AiAi
Aspirant
Aspirant
Contacted Arlo via the app itself > Support > Chat, so I could open a ticket for myself. It's been frustrating at best.
They asked if I could send a sample video to them but the file upload was not working in chat so rep sent me an email follow up. Email followup takes you to their site to upload sample videos in bmp, jpeg, jpg, png, tiff, rar file format... none of which are video formats. Tried to send screenshots (which are just blurry pixelated snaps and wouldn't help them anyway) and upon submission, I received an error that the page is unavailable and their engineers are working on it... !!! Meanwhile, the rep recommended several basic things which I have mostly done all, except unmounting and remounting the physical doorbell or contacting my ISP!!! All basic recommendations including stop/restart app, uninstalle/reinstall app, restart modem, etc. I have 200mbps internet speed, confirmed by speed tests, and this is happening during the night time only when there is no network congestion. I also informed of this arlo thread and referred rep here so she was aware of the known bug and could get an update. Still trying and waiting...
Jrs207
Aspirant
Aspirant
Having this same issue. Any animal or person that goes by my doorbell at night is a pixelated streak. I attached a photo as well Of a cat going by the camera at night.
IMG_7113.jpg
JPav80
Luminary
Luminary

I received a message for my tech support case that they are STILL working on a solution and don't have a time frame for resolution.    I let the tech know that I don't intend on subscribing since my trial is ending soon and the product doesn't work at night.  I consider this a major defect since it doesn't appear to be a simple fix on the software side.     

This is why I buy the Arlo products from Costco which have generous return policies since this product is NOT working as advertised.   I have no issue bringing this product back.    

GordonScot
Guide
Guide

Really? Still working on a solution?!?! That is VERY disappointing! 

Exactly JPav, I too bought ours at Costco and yes, at ANYTIME you can return a product if not satisfied. I’m getting very close to that point, will hold out a bit longer then back it goes.

SpaMG
Tutor
Tutor

Hi, did they tell you if at least they now the root cause?

TheWindyCity
Aspirant
Aspirant
I haven't seen them respond with a root cause, and I doubt that they would mention it. But if it's not fixable by firmware update, and it happens to be a hardware issue, then that is not going to be good for the company. My guess: it could be a video related chip that can't meet a processing speed. I am hoping it is a firmware issue and they can fix it that way. I have a 2 week window left to return this to Amazon, and I might end up doing that.
Exia7891
Star
Star

This is 100% a firmware related issue and not hardware as I have had mine for well over two years now and have not had any issues with it up until 2021 summer/fall. It is probably related to some compression algorithm that ended up botching the product.

DudeMac17
Tutor
Tutor
Is this not class action lawsuit material? We’re talking about tens of thousands of potentially defective products here.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team is currently testing a firmware fix that should alleviate the symptoms being discussed here. Once that testing is complete, the fix will be made available to all users. I will provide another update once I have more information to share.

JamesC

scandad
Aspirant
Aspirant

I agree - this is a critical defect in the advertised functionality that seems to impact most (if not all?) of the products. Issue has been well documented with, and acknowledged by, Arlo across many users without a fix or suggested solution.  

JPav80
Luminary
Luminary

The update from @JamesC is appreciated, but I went through 2 devices that never worked at night properly using the 90 day trial that is offered.  That time period was wasted since the product was not performing as advertised.  Anytime I had the camera pick up something at night and wanted to know more I had to reach out to my neighbor across the street who also had a recording on his fully functional Ring camera.   Can't get any worse than that from a competitive standpoint.   The wait for a proper fix (several months) should not be acceptable when the device is marketed as a piece of security equipment.   

DudeMac17
Tutor
Tutor
Thank you James
GordonScot
Guide
Guide

While at Costco today, they have a Ring 3 Plus with a 12 month subscription for $199 and what’s nice is this unit works on battery or hardwired. 
Talking with customer service (Costco), I can return my Arlo at ANY TIME!!! No questions asked. God I love Costco!!! 
Since this issue has been going on since summer of 2021, there is NO excuse for such a long firmware update, absolutely no excuse!

I’m giving them till mid April to resolve this issue, if not, adios Arlo!!! 

JPav80
Luminary
Luminary
My case was updated and seemed to indicate that Arlo may have done something on their end to resolve the issue. Unfortunately my trial has run out this morning. I let them know I will not pay at this point to test their possible. Maybe all the people affected will chime in if they still experience the issue.

I will have to check Costco about the Ring package. That does seem like a good deal.
GordonScot
Guide
Guide

JPav, have you gone into your “settings”, “my device”, “device info” and click on “firmware” to see if there is a update? 
Mine says “no updates available”. 
I’m guessing that if there was a update available, I’d show up there. 
Anyway, for me night time pixelation is still a BIG problem. 

JPav80
Luminary
Luminary

@GordonScot I did check my firmware and it does say up to date so I don't think any update was pushed.   I asked for clarification from my tech support case contact whether the firmware was updated.   I haven't heard a response.   My understanding from the last response was that Arlo may have done something on their side.   

jprose30
Aspirant
Aspirant

And, they should be refunding subscription fees until this issue is resolved. Mine has had nighttime pixelation for the full year that I have owned it. My subscription has run out, so customer service will no longer help me. They even block the option to call them or reply to support cases if you don't have a subscription. But, I don't want to pay more money for a service that only works half the time.

JPav80
Luminary
Luminary
Tech got back to me and now say they are still working on a fix. A clear step backwards. I agree that no one should be paying for a subscription on a product that does not work as advertised. I see more new posts bringing up the issue. Very disappointed in the support. I feel this will be my last purchase with Arlo. Clearly they are struggling on this issue. An email to customers would be appropriate as I am sure there are folks that don't even realize their device is not working during the evening hours. Anybody that asks me for recommendations I am saying skip this product.
GordonScot
Guide
Guide

This just floors me! How can a company (like Arlo) that has the technology to produce security products drag their feet on a firmware update?!?! 
I’ve never seen a company, Arlo, take so long to come up with a fix to a problem that so many are experiencing. 
Do they want to drive current and potential customers away? A rhetorical question. If so, they are doing a good job! 

GordonScot
Guide
Guide

This afternoon I “chatted” with a agent. 
Allow me to back up a bit….Last month I subscribed (yes, I swore I wouldn’t) to the $2.99 per month plan. I want to know if for some reason, they updated (firmware) my system without my knowledge. Hey, anything is possible. $2.99 isn’t going to break the bank but it’s the principle. 

So back to my chat today.

I asked that I’m not charged future months of subscription fees until this issue, or “concern” as the agent called it, is resolved. Well, you know how well that went. 😞

So I’m playing the “lab rat” as I’ll pay one more month, till mid April, to see if this issue or concern is resolved. Then I’ll return this Arlo and get the Ring 3 Plus at Costco. 
I feel a lot of people feel this is “normal”, is not! Hopefully the more people that chime in, the faster it’ll get resolved. 

Discussion stats