Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Video Doorbell Night vision green display and blurring

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
JPav80
Luminary
Luminary

I recently purchased and installed the Arlo Video Doorbell.  It works great during the day, but it struggles at night.   Most of the videos become blurry and pixelated.  Recently I also noticed that the video playback will just be a green image.    Not sure what is up but I am hoping it is a software issue.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The firmware resolving this issue is now available. Check Settings > My Devices > select your doorbell > Device info to make sure your doorbell has the latest version posted here: Arlo Video Doorbell AVD1001 - 1.14.0.0_1189_4e1d685_817336 - 15th March 2022

If your doorbell is still not on the latest version, allow the firmware update to take place automatically overnight and test again to see if you still experience the same behavior.

JamesC

View solution in original post

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

We're currently reviewing a possible solution for these reports. I'm not able to provide an exact timeline for release but this will likely be available in a future (within the coming weeks) firmware update.

I will post new information as it becomes available.

JamesC

16 REPLIES 16
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@JPav80 wrote:

Most of the videos become blurry and pixelated.  Recently I also noticed that the video playback will just be a green image. 

These are different symptoms of video corruption - usually caused by issues with the wifi link.  Though of course it could be software.

What signal strength are you seeing?  Is there outdoor lighting or some other electrical device that might be turning on at night, and generating some interference?

JPav80
Luminary
Luminary
I checked the signal strength and it shows full signal in the app at all times of the day and night. I also will note that the green image is only shown using a web browser. If I use the android app on my phone I only see the pixelated laggy images. I don't have anything in the vicinity of the doorbell camera that would cause interference. The camera is directly connected to my Netgear orbi router and not to a base station or smart hub. The reason I was wondering if it was software was that it looked like a similar issue I experienced with my Arlo pro cameras that was ultimately resolved through a firmware update.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@JPav80 wrote:
 I also will note that the green image is only shown using a web browser. If I use the android app on my phone I only see the pixelated laggy images. 

FWIW, that also points to a damaged video bitstream.  Various decoders handle bitstream errors differently (since the standards only speak to decoding conformant bitstreams).

But software/firmware issues can result in corrupted bitstreams, so that is a possibility.

You could try contacting support (using the link in the upper right of the forum page).

JPav80
Luminary
Luminary

Attempted a factory reset which seemed to help for a day and then the issue came back.   Maybe the camera's night vision is interfering with itself since I don't believe there is any source of interference that would only occur at night.  Daytime videos look great and have never had an issue.      

I contacted support and will see if they can figure something out other wise this will go back to Costco.

JPav80
Luminary
Luminary

So I created a case, received a ticket# well over a week ago and no response yet from Arlo Tech. The automated email said it would take a day or two.  Definitely not impressed. 

JPav80
Luminary
Luminary
So how does one escalate a support case. I have been trying to resolve the camera issue described in this post and Arlo support continues to ask the same questions and suggestions over and over. The latest request from support was to ask my cable provider to increase my upload speed. My internet is plenty fast and again my issue happens at night and has nothing to do with my internet service. Beyond frustrating.
JPav80
Luminary
Luminary
Still no resolution to my case. I was told by support that someone would reach out to determine next steps for this camera's terrible night time performance. Over 2 weeks later and no call and no email. This is seriously ridiculous. The funny part is I got an email saying my 3 month trial is coming to an end. If I can't get some support then my next step is returning to Costco. I really wanted this to work but I am not paying for a device that doesn't work as advertised in my case.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JPav80,

Do you have a ticket number I can refer to? If so, please provide your support ticket and I can escalate requesting a status update.

JamesC

JPav80
Luminary
Luminary
Hi JamesC,

The ticket# is 42734660. I finally did get a call this evening and it appears I am getting a new replacement after reviewing all the troubleshooting performed. If it doesn't resolve it then the agent was going to escalate further to see if it might be software related. Hopefully it is just a faulty unit but we will see.
JPav80
Luminary
Luminary
Hi JamesC,

I received the new doorbell camera and installed it yesterday evening. First few night time videos were ok but like the first camera, the remainder of the videos began having the same distorted video. That is the same behavior of the original camera. I updated my case online and hope to hear from someone soon.

Here is a sample from new camera

https://my.arlo.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/D3B318DEF561AEFF_202112
GordonScot
Guide
Guide

I’m really getting fed up with my Arlo video doorbell! 😞

I bought it through Costco and am within the year warranty so a return is very possible.

Ring video doorbell is seriously becoming a possibility. Given that Arlo is so lacking in addressing this issue, I’m really considering this option. There is no excuse for them not to come out with a firmware update!!!

Hello Arlo……are you listening? 

AiAi
Aspirant
Aspirant
Was there any update to this issue or resolution? Having same problem last few months and only at night.
JPav80
Luminary
Luminary

No resolution yet, but according to the tech support person I have worked with states this is a known issue and their engineering team is working on it.  Hopefully something soon! 

BannonB
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue - green pixel box only at night. Pretty much since day 1. It is very frustrating!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

We're currently reviewing a possible solution for these reports. I'm not able to provide an exact timeline for release but this will likely be available in a future (within the coming weeks) firmware update.

I will post new information as it becomes available.

JamesC

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The firmware resolving this issue is now available. Check Settings > My Devices > select your doorbell > Device info to make sure your doorbell has the latest version posted here: Arlo Video Doorbell AVD1001 - 1.14.0.0_1189_4e1d685_817336 - 15th March 2022

If your doorbell is still not on the latest version, allow the firmware update to take place automatically overnight and test again to see if you still experience the same behavior.

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation