Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

I installed a wired doorbell camera and now my chimes do not work

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
robertcz66
Aspirant
Aspirant

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you also checked the chime settings for the doorbell in the app?

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@robertcz66 wrote:

Did you install the power kit?  Also did you make sure it isn't set to bypass mode?  The switch should be set to "O".

Not all chimes are compatible - what model chimes do you have?

robertcz66
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did install the power unit and I confirmed that it was in the "0" position. The chime was working prior to installation. My chime unit looks just like the one used in the installation videos. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@robertcz66 wrote:

My chime unit looks just like the one used in the installation videos. 

What manufacturer/model???

Also, what is the rating on the transformer (both V and VA)

robertcz66
Aspirant
Aspirant

the chime unit is Heath Zenith  WD-1 Base

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@robertcz66 wrote:

the chime unit is Heath Zenith  WD-1 Base

Unfortunately, Arlo doesn't have a compatible/incompatible chime list.  Ring does, and this chime is listed in it's compatible mechanical chime list.  So this should be working.

One thing you can try (though annoying) is to disconnect the doorbell, and touch the two wires together - and see if it rings.

Though I would double-check the transformer - it now needs to provide more power (powering both the doorbell and the chime), and it might not be up to the task.

robertcz66
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did touch the wires together just before installing the camera and know it works. I have an addition chime in the rear of the house, so I disconnected it to see if that would take some power load off the system. No change tho. Still not working.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you also checked the chime settings for the doorbell in the app?

robertcz66
Aspirant
Aspirant

What would I be looking for there.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@robertcz66 wrote:

What would I be looking for there.

Whether the chime is turned on, whether it is properly set to mechnical or digital, etc.

robertcz66
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is a pit confusing. I have an electric chime. Is it mechanical because of the button (switch)?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@robertcz66 wrote:

Is it mechanical because of the button (switch)?

A mechanical chime has one or more electromagnet that strikes tubular chime(s) or a bar(s).  Here's what one looks like inside:

doorbell-chime-col-12.jpg

One bar is at the top, the other is at the bottom.  The magnet strikers are in the center - one for each doorbell (front/rear).  One is blocked so it only can hit the bottom chime - that lets you distinguish the front and back bell.

A digital chime has a loudspeaker inside, and plays the tune through the speaker.

robertcz66
Aspirant
Aspirant

You're probably getting tired of communicating with me but I did assume I had a mechanical chime just like the one in the pix. Thats what my app is set on. My transformer is in my attic and it looks like most. My home was custom built and I would believe that the builder put in a descent size one but I'll have to check it out. Thanks for your help.

Robert

AJ_808
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had something similar and turned out to be the wiring.  If you go through the app, the are schematics similar to what you have.  I have the same chime as you but setup is different, I followed the diagram via the app on the phone.  If they are not wired properly, chime will not work.  Are you following the app?

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation