Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Night time pixelation

Discussion stats
GordonScot
Guide
Guide

For a while now, my night time video recordings have shown severe pixelation. Mostly with vehicles (see attached picture) but also with people walking by if they walk fast. 
Version is 3.5.8 released Oct. 12 2021. According to my app, no updates available.
Motion is set at 80. 

Motion sensitivity is set at 90.

Flicker adjustment is set to “auto”. 
Brightness is set to 0.

Video Settings: 

Auto HDR “on”

Night Vision “on”.  NOTE, turning this OFF made no difference.

Video quality 1536sq. 
This is a wired video doorbell.

Thanks for any help you can provide! 

D241FBFB-7265-4A64-80A8-58417DF5C3DA.png
Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The firmware that should resolve this issue has finished testing and we expect it will be available this week. I will provide more information as it becomes available.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The development team is currently testing a firmware fix that should alleviate the symptoms being discussed here. Once that testing is complete, the fix will be made available to all users. I will provide another update once I have more information to share.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

We're currently reviewing a possible solution for these reports. I'm not able to provide an exact timeline for release but this will likely be available in a future (within the coming weeks) firmware update.

I will post new information as it becomes available.

JamesC

91 REPLIES 91
scandad
Aspirant
Aspirant

My trial period ended over the weekend and I elected to not renew the subscription due to (i) the product not working as advertised and being rendered useless outside of daylight hours and (ii) the absence of support / urgency from Arlo. 

As luck would have it, a wall that sits ~10 feet away from my Arlo doorbell got tagged with spray paint today in broad daylight...no footage for the police report. I was legitimately embarrassed to explain to them why my "smart doorbell" had not captured the perp...

Life is too short to wait for a product fix for something that is somehow incapable of performing the core purpose it was developed to perform. Goodbye Arlo!

GordonScot
Guide
Guide

ScanDad, I REALLY feel for you! There is no excuse that one, your home got tagged! Two, that the security system you and all of us rely on didn’t capture the act…absolutely no excuse!!!

Good to hear you’re ridding yourself of Arlo and you’re right, life is too short. I wish you the best in whatever product you find. In mid April and if no firmware update is provided, I too am saying goodbye to Arlo. This problem on Arlo’s part has lasted way too long.

I’m in a way looking forward to giving Ring a try!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The firmware that should resolve this issue has finished testing and we expect it will be available this week. I will provide more information as it becomes available.

JamesC

DudeMac17
Tutor
Tutor
@JamesC man i hope this is true!! Will we get a notification of firmware upgrade or will we have to go in manually to see if a FW update is avail?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

DudeMac17,

Firmware updates are automatic and will take place overnight after the release is made available.

JamesC

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The firmware resolving this issue is now available. Check Settings > My Devices > select your doorbell > Device info to make sure your doorbell has the latest version posted here: Arlo Video Doorbell AVD1001 - 1.14.0.0_1189_4e1d685_817336 - 15th March 2022

If your doorbell is still not on the latest version, allow the firmware update to take place automatically overnight and test again to see if you still experience the same behavior.

JamesC

Exia7891
Star
Star

Thanks for the update James. I do see my doorbell updated to that firmware version overnight. I will monitor my video clips and report back if issues persist.

NewProvSS
Tutor
Tutor

I also see the firmware update based on that version number, hoping it brings the fix.  Thank you

SpaMG
Tutor
Tutor

My firmware version ends with 3366 but I guess its one and the same thing. Will let you know if it helped later this week.

GordonScot
Guide
Guide

Thanks James, I too see that my firmware ends in 3366.

Like others, sure hope this is the FIX! Honestly, I do like the “daytime” video quality so that’s why I’ve been holding out, but……

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sorry about the typo, the firmware should end in 3366.

JamesC

GordonScot
Guide
Guide

Well, the last two nights, early morning video quality appear to be normal. No pixelation so at least for me, this latest firmware update has fixed the issue.

DudeMac17
Tutor
Tutor
Same here. I can hardly believe it lol it took an eternity but glad it’s fixed. Thanks Arlo team. @JamesC
GordonScot
Guide
Guide

But…..the last 2 days have been overcast. Very very few recordings of vehicles during the day even though many pass by.

On sunny days, it (Arlo door cam) picks up (records) every vehicle. 
Very strange! Why would a overcast day be different than a sunny day as far as recording events? 
 Any ideas folks? 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@GordonScot wrote:

Very strange! Why would a overcast day be different than a sunny day as far as recording events? 
 Any ideas folks? 

The PIR sensors are detecting changes in the infrared   In direct sunlight, there will be more light (and more infrared) reflected off the vehicles.  And of course the vehicles will be warmer.

TheWindyCity
Aspirant
Aspirant
Unfortunately, I received the firmware update info the day after I had to start the return process with Amazon due to a time restraint.

For info purposes to share with other members: I decided to spend the extra cost of a Ring Pro 2. The money was well spent, as the video quality is amazing! Another reason I switched, mainly, was because of there 3 D detection zone. I have reduced the amount of alerts from 250 per day to 1 or 2, as it only let's me know when someone is within 20' of my door. I live in the city, and with the Arlo system I was getting over 250 alerts a day, even though I shut off vehicles, animals, & motion in the app. I also reduced the detection zone on the Arlo to my immediate front porch, and yet still, all I received was a constant barrage of vehicle and motion alerts. It was very frustrating!
Not to mention the pixellation, which they did resolve. So for those of you not satisfied, and with a return still an option, I would highly recommend the Ring Pro 2
GordonScot
Guide
Guide

On Sunday I removed my Arlo, repackaged everything and returned it to Costco today. Had bought it in Jan. of 2021….no questions asked.

Was hoping they had the Ring Pro 2 w/the 12 month subscription but they now have the Ring 3 Plus w/indoor camera. The major difference is that the Ring 3 is a little bigger.

My biggest reason for returning the Arlo and getting the Ring is the poor video capture during overcast, cloudy days. While the above explanation a couple posts above maybe true, for me a video doorbell shouldn’t suffer due to ambient conditions. Will see if the Ring suffers from that.

Also the amount of time it took to get a firmware update from Arlo, that was ridiculous. 
Also Arlo doesn’t provide any kind of incentive if you subscribe to a plan for a year, strictly month to month. Ring does! I believe they give you a month or two for subscribing for a year. 

Discussion stats