Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Chime 2 won’t connect

Discussion stats
Eodwoz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Seems to be a reoccurring issue. I scan QR code, it asks to connect, amber light on chime flashes then white fade & then states it can’t connect. Using updated app on iPhone, doorbell, multiple cameras all work flawlessly???

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

We have a fix for those experiencing issues onboarding their Chime 2 devices. A member of the Arlo development team will be reaching out via email to users who have posted here to coordinate the next steps to resolve this issue. If you do not receive an email within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

Thank you 

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you for all your feedback. The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

114 REPLIES 114
Hummelmose
Star
Star

@RuneD77 good luck in getting an answer - It less than two days you will get the standard reply - We're working on a solution. This issue is a joke that should be solved right away. Right now I have two useless chimes and a doorbell that have no where to ring.

RuneD77
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks …. I will contact the webshop where I bought the product… it’s quite ridiculous 😂 I’ll let you know if I find a technical solution!!!

tomjadams
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've been going back and forth with support for weeks on this, have shared logs and device details and screencaps. No resolution as yet.

dregol1
Tutor
Tutor

Same issue here with Chime 2

dregol1
Tutor
Tutor

Exactly the same issues as for @CornishRattler when entering the name.

I've tried:

• iPhone 15 Pro (Can't connect to ARLO_xxxx network)
  • iPhone 13 (Can connect to ARLO_xxxx network, but fails when you have to name your device)

@ShayneS any updates?

It's a shame that Arlo doesn't care about all customers with this issue. 

Papashirts
Aspirant
Aspirant

SOLVED - ISH: I can confirm almost 100% that iPhone 15 pro does NOT work with the chime 2. I tried 2 different chimes, two different iPhones.  

i spent almost 3 hours on chat support with 3 different Arlo techs as they walked me through everything I had already done multiple times (deleting app, redownloading app, restarting router, Ect). As I said above, I tried two different chime 2 devices AND two different IPHONE 15 PROs (versions 17.2.1) with no luck. 

I switched to my iPad mini 4 from 2015 (running version 15.7.1) and it worked with no issues. Just downloaded the Arlo app, logged in, scanned the chime 2 QR code (off my iPhone since the code doesn’t actually scan from the Arlo app camera) and it setup with no issues. 

I wish I had more info on what devices do and do not work but from everything I’ve read IPhone 15 pros do not work at all. 

I hope this helps someone down the road that comes to this thread. 

RuneD77
Tutor
Tutor

Thabks. I’ll try tonight and see if I can make it work- I only have an iPad Pro, but perhaps it will work anyway 👏

dregol1
Tutor
Tutor

It worked for me too. I used an 8 years old iPhone and it finally worked. I've tried iPhone 13 and iPhone 15 Pro. Arlo's software seem to be super poor. Only working on 6-8 years old devices...

RuneD77
Tutor
Tutor

I just did the same and now it works 👏👏👏

gewoldt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Have there been any updates on this from the development team?

Hummelmose
Star
Star

@gewoldt - Nope - You will get a std. reply that they are working on it, and unless you're willing to buy an old phone you're fu***. 

I still have two chrime 2 not working.

RuneD77
Tutor
Tutor

Really you should try installing it with an old iPhone… worked for me !!! 

SchapRetr
Tutor
Tutor

After 30 minutes on the phone with Arlo tech support, I was surprised to learn that pairing the Chime 2 with the Arlo Wire-Free doorbell is not possible with the iPhone 15. The representative said they know there are issues installing and pairing Chime 2 using an iPhone 15 and that they are working on a solution. They gave no time estimate for a fix but said I would be sent an email when they have the problem fixed. I am amazed that Arlo has not bothered to deal with this incompatibility issue to date as the iPhone 15 has been available since September of 2023. 

SchapRetr
Tutor
Tutor

Arlo tech support told me that installing and pairing the Chime 2 with the Arlo Wire-Free doorbell is not currently possible if you are using the Arlo app on an iPhone 15. Very frustrating. The tech said she would escalate my issue to the advanced team and I would get an email when the issue is fixed. She gave no time table on when they expect to have the issue fixed. 

RuneD77
Tutor
Tutor

Hi, as mentioned i used an old iphone to make the installation. That worked fine, and now the device works with my iphone 15 pro max. So my advice - find an old iphone and complete the installation. Probably faster than waiting for the Arloteam to respond 😉

SchapRetr
Tutor
Tutor

Okay. thanks. My wife has an XS iphone. So l'll try using hers

SchapRetr
Tutor
Tutor

I thought you'd like a follow up. I was able to get the chime 2 added to my iPhone 15 after over an hour on the phone with an Arlo support tech. The process was so confusing I couldn't possibly explain how it was done.

Asw4
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi forum! 👋

I've encountered a persistent issue that seems to affect users of the iPhone 15 Pro, specifically relating to QR code scanning and device connectivity with the Chime unit. I wanted to bring this to your attention for further investigation and potential resolution.

1. QR Code Scanning Difficulty:
    The iPhone 15 Pro is unable to scan QR codes directly. As a workaround, I found it necessary to capture a photo of the QR code using the iPhone, transfer this photo to a MacBook, zoom in on the image, and then attempt the scan again. This method proved successful, but it's far from an ideal solution and indicates a possible issue with the QR code scanning capability on the iPhone 15 Pro.

2. Connection Challenges with Chime Unit:
    After managing to scan the QR code, I faced significant challenges trying to connect to the Chime unit. Despite numerous attempts and increasing frustration, I was unable to establish a connection, leading me to abandon the effort for that day...

3. Workaround Success with Alternative Device:
    Further investigation into this issue, prompted by discussions on this forum, revealed that several users with the iPhone 15 Pro have encountered similar problems. When I attempted the same process using a Samsung Flip 5 (my work phone), the connection was established immediately without any issues.

This pattern of issues suggests there may be a compatibility or software-related problem specific to the iPhone 15 Pro. I recommend conducting a thorough investigation into the QR code scanning functionality and connectivity protocols on the iPhone 15 Pro. Addressing this issue could significantly improve the user experience for those facing similar problems.

Thank you Arlo for your attention to this matter, and I look forward to your response and a resolution to this issue.

And for all of you that face the same issues, try on a different phone then iPhone 15/-15 pro. 

MrRemo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi there, for some reason despite many many attempts I cannot are the #Arlo as a devices

1. The provided steps are not detailed enough as I see a different behavior as I try to add the Chime 2. When I am choosing the WiFi network there is some Arlo network coming up which I have no password for. 
2. The #Chime flashes and orange light. I have two Chimes and they behave the same.

How can I get this working? 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The chime provides an open WiFi connection you have to connect to briefly so you can pass your home WiFi SSID and password to the chime so it can connect. This FAQ may help:

https://kb.arlo.com/000062736/How-do-I-install-my-Arlo-Chime-or-Chime-2

MustafaG
Aspirant
Aspirant

Dear Arlo team,

Could you please write down the steps, which SchapRetr mentioned?

I am having the same issues with my iPhone 15 pro.

Thanks.

SteenO
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have exactly the same problem using an iPhone 15 pro max. The chime has previously worked but I can no longer connect. the system set up has not changed

SJA65
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same problem with iPhone 15 Pro Max(ios 17.2.1).  I tried iPhone 15 Pro(ios 17.3.1), the same problem. I chose iPhone 14 (ios 17.3.1) and this time was successful!

chaps2468
Aspirant
Aspirant

same issue as all the rest my chime2 wont connect. have doorbell connected to 2.4ghz try  to connect chime to tries to connect to an arlo network that i dont have password for that i didnt create.  says unable to join arlo_1933

chaps2468
Aspirant
Aspirant

try resetting device and also take pic on another phone or ipad so can blow image up and move closer and farther away from QR code