Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Chime 2 won’t connect

Discussion stats
Eodwoz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Seems to be a reoccurring issue. I scan QR code, it asks to connect, amber light on chime flashes then white fade & then states it can’t connect. Using updated app on iPhone, doorbell, multiple cameras all work flawlessly???

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

We have a fix for those experiencing issues onboarding their Chime 2 devices. A member of the Arlo development team will be reaching out via email to users who have posted here to coordinate the next steps to resolve this issue. If you do not receive an email within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

Thank you 

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you for all your feedback. The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

114 REPLIES 114
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@CornishRattler wrote:

When I’m attempting to connect it, I’d say about 15cm (6”) or so.

I’d say it’s ok for range

Agreed, though possibly too close.

Is yours a new purchase?  If it is, you could try exchanging it with the seller.

CornishRattler
Star
Star

This is as far as I get,  a frustrating useless piece of junk

Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 11.23.46.jpegW

CornishRattler
Star
Star

It's not a new purchase, had it connected before even then had to use an old iPhone 11 to achieve it as my then iPhone 14 was having the same problems as now. The iPhone 11 is long gone so that's not an option.

It should be the simplest operation

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@CornishRattler wrote:

It should be the simplest operation

Agreed.   Far too many problems reported here with onboarding.

But your error looks different from the others (nothing about not being able to connect to the chime wifi, it is failing later on in the work flow).

When it fails, are you seeing the chime 2 on the Eero's attached device list?

CornishRattler
Star
Star

Yes it appears on the Eero device list as connected but the white light is still blinking and not solid as it should be

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@CornishRattler wrote:

Yes it appears on the Eero device list as connected but the white light is still blinking and not solid as it should be

So it is failing differently.  

Did you remove the chime 2 from your Arlo account before onboarding it?

Have you tried the hardware reset for the chime 2?

CornishRattler
Star
Star

Yes it was removed from my account before and have tried many resets

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@CornishRattler wrote:

Yes it was removed from my account before and have tried many resets

I guess it could be a hardware issue.  But the error sounds more like something in the Arlo cloud.

I'm tagging the mods ( @JamesC , @BrookeN , @ShayneS ), in case they want to follow up.

CornishRattler
Star
Star

OK, thank you

SEMTA
Aspirant
Aspirant

I got it to work by using an old iPad. Worked 1st try. Problem seemed to be with my iPhone 15. Shouldn’t be this hard. 

CornishRattler
Star
Star

The problem is with the chime not the iPhone

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@CornishRattler wrote:

The problem is with the chime not the iPhone

FWIW, your problem is different from @SEMTA's - your's happens later on in the workflow, and is a different error message.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you for the info. I have notified the team and I will report back as soon as possible. 

tomjadams
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue, and have been trying for the last 3 days to connect. Mine consistently fails when the phone tries to connect to the temporary network (it times out and asks me to try again). None of the trouble shooting steps are resolving it. Note that this was previously working, I'm just moving it to another 2.4ghz network (on the same router/AP).

Aashishkebab
Apprentice
Apprentice

The solution is to throw away every single Arlo product you own and give a 1-star review in every place you can because it is the worst product stack in the history of tech products.

tomjadams
Aspirant
Aspirant

FWIW I've been using multiple cameras and a doorbell for a few years now with no problems. This is the first issue I've had with it.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@tomjadams 

Is this occurring on iOS or Android?

CornishRattler
Star
Star

It was on iOS 

As an update I’ve ditched Arlo and gone with a different system that actually does what it’s supposed to. Shouldn’t be this much trouble to connect a device.

Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone 

tomjadams
Aspirant
Aspirant

Happens on both iOS and android for me. Fails in the same way

tomjadams
Aspirant
Aspirant
Spoiler
IMG_7153.png

IMG_7154.png

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you for all your feedback. The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

wsanchez
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having a similar issue. Every time I try to add the Chime 2 as a new device, it tries to join the temporary WiFi network that the device creates and fails after a longish wait.  (The message is something like "Failed to join Arlo_XXXX".) 

This happens before I'm offered any opportunity to specify the network that the Chime 2 should be using, so I'm not sure that how WiFi band or proximity to the WiFi access point is a factor at that point.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

Paul63
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the exact same problem and followed all steps

is there a resolution for this ?

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.