Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Videos Not Available on Base Station

maharrm
Tutor
Tutor

I recently started to experience the error, “Videos stored on Base Station are not available. Please check connection settings.” when trying to access locally stored videos in the Library (I have a VMB5000r5 base station recording to a microSD card). 

I have previously been able to access videos with Port Forwarding enabled and also without Port Forwarding when connected to my home network. 

I have again disabled Port Forwarding and am connected on my home network, but still receive the same error.

i can see from the storage setting info that my microSD card appears to be saving videos as the amount of space used is increasing.

Anyone else experiencing this error recently? Thanks. 

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you for the feedback, the development team is investing these reports and I will be updating the thread with more information as soon as I receive it. 

187 REPLIES 187
clangjr
Aspirant
Aspirant

I think I can be SOME help on this issue as I was able to get some of the functionality working again.

Summary of my setup:

Base station, 6 cameras, on Verizon FiOS, iPhone

Summary of issue:

Ability to view recordings remotely (not on the local network) no longer available.

Diagnosis:

Port forwarding was supposedly not available despite me not making any changes to configuration on the base station or on my router

Solution:

On the app, choose the base station, and disbale port forwarding

Restart the base station (I did not need to do a full hard reset)

Go back into the app and enable port forwarding, taking note of your new port settings

Log into your router and change the port forwarding settings to allow the following:

TCP/UDP port 80

TCP/UDP port 443

TCP/UDP whatever port your base station has chosen

This alloed me to view recordings remotely.  HOWEVER, after I "updated" the app, now 4 of my newer cameras (I believe the are the Pro 3 cameras) no longer show the recodings stored in my feed.  2 older cameras are the only ones that do show in my feed.  I believe this to be an issue on the app, possibly requiring a subscription for this functionality to work.  This all worked fine before updating the app.  I would expect Arlo to update the app to fix this issue.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Is this happening even when the iPhone is connected to your home wifi?

I'm asking because there is a known issue with port forwarding not working with the iOS app.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

There's a bug with port forwarding in the current iOS app.  So you won't be able to see recordings remotely using port forwarding until that is fixed.

If your router includes a VPN server, you could switch to that.  

Although it would cost, you could also get a subscription until Arlo fixes the problem.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@clangjr wrote:

Log into your router and change the port forwarding settings to allow the following:

TCP/UDP port 80

TCP/UDP port 443

This is almost never needed, and it is not good to forward these ports when it's not.

I recommend removing these two forwarding rules as a test. They aren't related to remote access, so if you can livestream the cameras w/o them, then you should keep them removed. 

robbyj
Star
Star

@StephenB wrote:

Is this happening even when the iPhone is connected to your home wifi?

Yes, this is happening even when my iPhone is connected to my home wifi.

Flemmingpe
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks 👍😊

jnat
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having the same problem - not able to access base station remotely, after previously being able to do so. Have tried disabling and reenabling port forwarding, and mapping the new ports in my router, along with restarting everything.

Really hoping that a fix for this is coming soon - this feature is the only reason I chose Arlo!

gbweir
Guide
Guide

Just checked the USB on the base station and noticed that the cameras are recording to the it and can be viewed on a computer/laptop, but not showing in the library on the app.

Someone else in this feed also mention about recording to the USB. and nothing else.

vaida
Aspirant
Aspirant

@maharrm wrote:

I recently started to experience the error, “Videos stored on Base Station are not available. Please check connection settings.” when trying to access locally stored videos in the Library (I have a VMB5000r5 base station recording to a microSD card). 

I have previously been able to access videos with Port Forwarding enabled and also without Port Forwarding when connected to my home network. 

I have again disabled Port Forwarding and am connected on my home network, but still receive the same error.

i can see from the storage setting info that my microSD card appears to be saving videos as the amount of space used is increasing.

Anyone else experiencing this error recently? Thanks. 

i got this... https://routerlogin.uno/

Dogman1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue from about a week ago.  I have the VMB4540r2 base station and have port forwarding enabled.  My router settings are correct and it has worked for months.  I can access the videos only when I'm on my network, which doesn't help me when I'm away from my house.  I am running the latest version of the app V4.14.6 (7472), released 6/20/2024.  The issue probably started with that release though I wasn't away until 6/22 which is when I would have noticed it.

robbyj
Star
Star

@robbyj wrote:

Summary: Devices > Smart Hub > Storage Settings is blank and shows no recordings.

Context: I have been using local storage recordings for over a year with two Arlo Pro 4 cameras and my VMB4540 SmartHub. As of a few days ago I am no longer able to see any local recordings from the Arlo Secure app. My Arlo Pro 4 cameras are still sending recordings to the VMB4540 SmartHub and I am still receiving motion alerts to my phone. I am only able to view the recordings by ejecting the USB drive from the VMB4540 SmartHub and viewing from a computer. 

What I have tried:

1. Restarting the SmartHub
  2. Restarting the Cameras
  3. Formatting the USB drive
  4. Replacing the USB drive
  5. Reinstalling the Arlo Secure App
  6. Checking for firmware updates 

Device Information:
SmartHub Firmware: 1.24.0.1_1528_8938370

Pro 4 Firmware: 1.080.20.1_23_d50a19d

Phone: Iphone 13
App version: 4.14.6 (7472)

A staff member merged my thread into this. my problem has nothing to do with port forwarding. My problem occurs regardless if I am on my home network or not. To summarize again, my VMB4540 SmartHub stopped showing recordings within the 'storage settings' tab. Please advise

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@robbyj wrote:

@robbyj wrote:

Summary: Devices > Smart Hub > Storage Settings is blank and shows no recordings.

Context: I have been using local storage recordings for over a year with two Arlo Pro 4 cameras and my VMB4540 SmartHub. As of a few days ago I am no longer able to see any local recordings from the Arlo Secure app. My Arlo Pro 4 cameras are still sending recordings to the VMB4540 SmartHub and I am still receiving motion alerts to my phone. I am only able to view the recordings by ejecting the USB drive from the VMB4540 SmartHub and viewing from a computer. 

What I have tried:

1. Restarting the SmartHub
  2. Restarting the Cameras
  3. Formatting the USB drive
  4. Replacing the USB drive
  5. Reinstalling the Arlo Secure App
  6. Checking for firmware updates 

Device Information:
SmartHub Firmware: 1.24.0.1_1528_8938370

Pro 4 Firmware: 1.080.20.1_23_d50a19d

Phone: Iphone 13
App version: 4.14.6 (7472)

A staff member merged my thread into this. my problem has nothing to do with port forwarding. My problem occurs regardless if I am on my home network or not. To summarize again, my VMB4540 SmartHub stopped showing recordings within the 'storage settings' tab. Please advise

Although it is a PITA, you could remove everything from the account, do a paper-clip reset of the smarthub, and set everything up again.

gbweir
Guide
Guide

It's a software problem and Arlo need to address it.

Every thing was find until version 4.14 was released