Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

maharrm
Guide
Guide

I recently started to experience the error, “Videos stored on Base Station are not available. Please check connection settings.” when trying to access locally stored videos in the Library (I have a VMB5000r5 base station recording to a microSD card). 

I have previously been able to access videos with Port Forwarding enabled and also without Port Forwarding when connected to my home network. 

I have again disabled Port Forwarding and am connected on my home network, but still receive the same error.

i can see from the storage setting info that my microSD card appears to be saving videos as the amount of space used is increasing.

Anyone else experiencing this error recently? Thanks. 

Best answers
  • vtmad
    Aspirant
    Aspirant

No, my problem is solved. I had already updated to 5.01 but that did not solve things. I then did an IOS update and that took care of the problem.

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

The development team is working on the fix for the issue with the remote access. I will provide another update as soon as I have more information related to the release. 

Thank you for your patience

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you for the feedback, the development team is investing these reports and I will be updating the thread with more information as soon as I receive it. 

525 REPLIES 525
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@CarribeanPirate wrote:

I just got off of a very lengthy chat with an Arlo support technician and it was clear that they will not admit that the issue is with the new app that was pushed in early June.

Tier-1 support likely doesn't have the full story.   That said, I don't think Arlo prioritizes fixing issues with direct access to local storage.

I'm tagging @BrookeN , @JamesC , @ShayneS so they can confirm that this issue is in Arlo's bug system.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Orochi wrote:

When you say "this is a known issue" does that mean the team are working on a fix?

I don't work for Arlo, so I don't know what they are working on.

I do know that a lot of iOS users have reported this problem, so Arlo certainly knows about it.

steve_straus
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm on an iphone 14 with the latest software. I haven't tried to reinstall the app but I'll give it a try. I've restarted the hub multiple times as well as reinstalling the cameras and USB stick. Nope, no VPN. Hopefully an app reinstall will fix it. 

rchen119
Aspirant
Aspirant

It would be nice if Arlo Team could provide status update, or any workaround.     

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you for the feedback, the development team is investing these reports and I will be updating the thread with more information as soon as I receive it. 

rpn830
Tutor
Tutor

thanks. based on what we know (port forwarding works on android + older versions of ios app) i really think it's a problem with the newest versions of the ios app (since end of May or so)

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

FYI, the "Pro 6" is confusing, since the 6 is the number of cameras.  If i tracked down the correct link for VMS4630, then you have six Pro 2 cameras with a VMB4000 base.

@vaida wrote:

Today, June 26, I realized that my system has stopped recording motion since June 13th. If I go into my LIBRARY on the app, nothing shows up as recorded. When I pull the thumbdrive out of the homebase and plug it into my computer, I can see all the video recorded up to that date, 06/13/24 (reason I know it stopped on that date).

This might need a little clarification.

Your VMB4000 base support local recording, but NOT playback of those recordings.  All the recordings you see in LIBRARY are saved in the Arlo Cloud.  Even though you do not have a subscription, your cameras were sold with 7 days of free cloud recording.  The ONLY way to see recordings on the USB stick is to eject the USB drive and connect it to a PC (as you did).

@vaida wrote:

Today, June 26, I realized that my system has stopped recording motion since June 13th.

There are other reports of this happening, so you are not alone.  

The mods can attempt to fix it remotely, so I am tagging them to call their attention to your issue.  @BrookeN , @ShayneS , @JamesC .  They'll reply here if they can do that (or if they need more information).

BuffaloBob
Aspirant
Aspirant

Under the base local storage I only can view the newer videos that have today's date. For anything recorded before midnight I have to remove the card and plug it into a adapter. 

robbyj
Star
Star

Summary: Devices > Smart Hub > Storage Settings is blank and shows no recordings.

Context: I have been using local storage recordings for over a year with two Arlo Pro 4 cameras and my VMB4540 SmartHub. As of a few days ago I am no longer able to see any local recordings from the Arlo Secure app. My Arlo Pro 4 cameras are still sending recordings to the VMB4540 SmartHub and I am still receiving motion alerts to my phone. I am only able to view the recordings by ejecting the USB drive from the VMB4540 SmartHub and viewing from a computer. 

What I have tried:

1. Restarting the SmartHub
  2. Restarting the Cameras
  3. Formatting the USB drive
  4. Replacing the USB drive
  5. Reinstalling the Arlo Secure App
  6. Checking for firmware updates 

Device Information:
SmartHub Firmware: 1.24.0.1_1528_8938370

Pro 4 Firmware: 1.080.20.1_23_d50a19d

Phone: Iphone 13
App version: 4.14.6 (7472)

gbweir
Star
Star

App update on 26/06/24 to ver 4.14.6

Still not connecting to base station

christerlind
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an APP update available today but it diden´t solve the problem

Flemmingpe
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I have Arlo Pro 3 cameras and a VMB5000r4 base station (firmware 1.24.0.1_1607_8938370)

I have been using local recordings with SD-card for a long time, and I have been able to access the recordings from my iphone when I'm not on my wifi.

A few days ago, the remote access to my recordings stopped working. I have talked to my ISP, and they say that nothing have change from their side. I can access my recording when i'm on my wifi. But when not, I have no access.

I have port forwarding enable on my ISP router matching the IP and ports showing in the Arlo app. But in the Arlo app it says "not available" on the Port Forwarding page.

I can also mention that I have a Deco Mesh system after the ISP router. But I have not changed anything, and it has been working for months before a few days ago.

I have also tried to factory reset the base and connect all the cameras again. But still no result.

Can anyone help me? 🙂

Kind Regards

Flemming

clangjr
Aspirant
Aspirant

I think I can be SOME help on this issue as I was able to get some of the functionality working again.

Summary of my setup:

Base station, 6 cameras, on Verizon FiOS, iPhone

Summary of issue:

Ability to view recordings remotely (not on the local network) no longer available.

Diagnosis:

Port forwarding was supposedly not available despite me not making any changes to configuration on the base station or on my router

Solution:

On the app, choose the base station, and disbale port forwarding

Restart the base station (I did not need to do a full hard reset)

Go back into the app and enable port forwarding, taking note of your new port settings

Log into your router and change the port forwarding settings to allow the following:

TCP/UDP port 80

TCP/UDP port 443

TCP/UDP whatever port your base station has chosen

This alloed me to view recordings remotely.  HOWEVER, after I "updated" the app, now 4 of my newer cameras (I believe the are the Pro 3 cameras) no longer show the recodings stored in my feed.  2 older cameras are the only ones that do show in my feed.  I believe this to be an issue on the app, possibly requiring a subscription for this functionality to work.  This all worked fine before updating the app.  I would expect Arlo to update the app to fix this issue.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Is this happening even when the iPhone is connected to your home wifi?

I'm asking because there is a known issue with port forwarding not working with the iOS app.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

There's a bug with port forwarding in the current iOS app.  So you won't be able to see recordings remotely using port forwarding until that is fixed.

If your router includes a VPN server, you could switch to that.  

Although it would cost, you could also get a subscription until Arlo fixes the problem.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@clangjr wrote:

Log into your router and change the port forwarding settings to allow the following:

TCP/UDP port 80

TCP/UDP port 443

This is almost never needed, and it is not good to forward these ports when it's not.

I recommend removing these two forwarding rules as a test. They aren't related to remote access, so if you can livestream the cameras w/o them, then you should keep them removed. 

robbyj
Star
Star

@StephenB wrote:

Is this happening even when the iPhone is connected to your home wifi?

Yes, this is happening even when my iPhone is connected to my home wifi.

Flemmingpe
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks 👍😊

jnat
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having the same problem - not able to access base station remotely, after previously being able to do so. Have tried disabling and reenabling port forwarding, and mapping the new ports in my router, along with restarting everything.

Really hoping that a fix for this is coming soon - this feature is the only reason I chose Arlo!

gbweir
Star
Star

Just checked the USB on the base station and noticed that the cameras are recording to the it and can be viewed on a computer/laptop, but not showing in the library on the app.

Someone else in this feed also mention about recording to the USB. and nothing else.

Aspirant
Aspirant

As of 27- Jun-2024 I can no longer see recorded videos in my library.  Alerts still come in and the videos are locally recorded but the Arlo app cannot see them in the library.  Software is 4.15_28681 cameras are pro3 (hardware H9) with firmware 1.060.13.0_23_19c4503, smart hub VMB4540r2 with firmware 1.24.0.1_1528_8938370.  These have been working properly for years.  As of the date noted when accessing the library an error message is displayed stating "There was an error obtaining your library. Arlo team is working on this issue." with a button to "Try Again".  Is there a known cause/solution?  Is anyone else experiencing the same issue?

vaida
Aspirant
Aspirant

@maharrm wrote:

I recently started to experience the error, “Videos stored on Base Station are not available. Please check connection settings.” when trying to access locally stored videos in the Library (I have a VMB5000r5 base station recording to a microSD card). 

I have previously been able to access videos with Port Forwarding enabled and also without Port Forwarding when connected to my home network. 

I have again disabled Port Forwarding and am connected on my home network, but still receive the same error.

i can see from the storage setting info that my microSD card appears to be saving videos as the amount of space used is increasing.

Anyone else experiencing this error recently? Thanks. 

i got this... https://routerlogin.uno/

Dogman1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue from about a week ago.  I have the VMB4540r2 base station and have port forwarding enabled.  My router settings are correct and it has worked for months.  I can access the videos only when I'm on my network, which doesn't help me when I'm away from my house.  I am running the latest version of the app V4.14.6 (7472), released 6/20/2024.  The issue probably started with that release though I wasn't away until 6/22 which is when I would have noticed it.

robbyj
Star
Star

@robbyj wrote:

Summary: Devices > Smart Hub > Storage Settings is blank and shows no recordings.

Context: I have been using local storage recordings for over a year with two Arlo Pro 4 cameras and my VMB4540 SmartHub. As of a few days ago I am no longer able to see any local recordings from the Arlo Secure app. My Arlo Pro 4 cameras are still sending recordings to the VMB4540 SmartHub and I am still receiving motion alerts to my phone. I am only able to view the recordings by ejecting the USB drive from the VMB4540 SmartHub and viewing from a computer. 

What I have tried:

Device Information:

A staff member merged my thread into this. my problem has nothing to do with port forwarding. My problem occurs regardless if I am on my home network or not. To summarize again, my VMB4540 SmartHub stopped showing recordings within the 'storage settings' tab. Please advise

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@robbyj wrote:

@robbyj wrote:

What I have tried:

Device Information:

A staff member merged my thread into this. my problem has nothing to do with port forwarding. My problem occurs regardless if I am on my home network or not. To summarize again, my VMB4540 SmartHub stopped showing recordings within the 'storage settings' tab. Please advise

Although it is a PITA, you could remove everything from the account, do a paper-clip reset of the smarthub, and set everything up again.